Defensive Carry banner

laser and light combo

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  hipthunder 
#1 ·
#3 ·
re

i've used streamlights before but i found this recently NCstar - it has flashlight only,laser only,flashlight/laser together - it was 50 bucks cheaper than streamlight and the light will light up my yard which is pretty good sized-i was impressed with the operation - plus it has a momentary switch that can be operated with your middle finger(at least i can) while keeping you trigger finger where it should be

#4 ·
I haven't tried the brand you're looking at

I've only used the Streamlight TLR-2, I keep it on my G21 at the house, laser is zeroed on the light switch on the living room wall near the back door which would be the longest straight shot from my master bedroom door :smile:

#5 ·
I'm not a big fan of attached lights for carry guns, too big and bulky for me, but to each his own.

I opt to carry a 6" 250lumen O'light m20 warrior in my weakside pocket instead and use a crimson trace grip

#10 ·
I agree the typical CCW'er probably won't need one to carry around all the time since they usually won't be going into unknowns to look for dirtbags.
For home I think the tac light is a good idea...can keep a hand free for other things.

At work I've had to clear too many dark buildings, yards, cars, etc at night and it will be so much easier with the tac light.
I'm getting a light for my patrol shotgun too.

That being said......I always have a handheld too.

#6 ·
re

same principle - you can sight and shoot in the dark and thats what matters in your home past bedtime

although it does look bulky in the pic - i really don't notice it while firing

#7 ·
Viridian green laser mounted on my Glock 19. Separate Surefire taclight (80 lumens model for now, awaiting arrival of the 200 lumens model :) )

Standard weak-hand wrist-over technique for me in terms of brandishing the light and the Glock. Critics will argue in a home defense situation that I'd be giving away my position (with either the tac light or the laser). I argue that if I'm forced into a situation where I believe I need the combination of the Glock and any other tactical accessory in order to protect my family in my own home, I need to be sure of my target (make certain its not one of my kids arriving home late, drunken neighbor, etc) and I'll likely be initiating / returning fire in short-order which will obviously give away my position (not like my house is that big that I can use evade and escape tactics against the bad guy - it's going to be me seeking to quickly get the drop on him, give one verbal warning for him to get face-down on the ground while I track him with the laser and if he does not comply then all hell's breaking loose).

#8 ·
re

i would agree savage - naysayers will throw that out there but i want to be very sure of my target before i discharge - and i can also move too i dont have to stay in the same postion to verify the target - i believe in very dark situation inside a home that the laser is to my advantage - it can be intimidating under certain circumstances to the bg

#11 ·
TLR-2 on my Glock 23, TLR-1 and Crimson Trace grip on my 1911.

Both are home defense only. If I can I will use well placed flash lights also, but worse case scenario I can be on-target in seconds regardless of lighting situation.

I prefer the 1911 setup, I don't like the Crimson Trace setup for Glocks. Maybe I'll try it on my H&K when it's available.

I'm also testing the new Laserlyte sight for Glocks. It replaces the rear sight and provides a traditional sight window and laser. The laser is on one side of the sight and the batteries on the other. Very diminutive. I wasn't going to get one until I saw their torture test. They used the gun as a hammer and the laser took the beating. This has been the drawback in the past to some lasers, they don't light reliably, I believe because of recoil. So far so good. It' isn't as convenient as laser grips or rail mounts but like the laser grips, they don't require a special holster.

#12 ·
yea agreed - the one drawback my sig does not holster well with any type with the rail mounted light - so i remove the light when i carry it - it is home defense only with me as well - no issues yet with recoil affecting performance but make sure sighting set screws are tight or they will loosen causing the laser to have to be re-sighted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.