NY carry question Allegany State Park

This is a discussion on NY carry question Allegany State Park within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going on a short weekend camping/fishing trip to Allegany Sate Park in Western NY...can you CC in that state park?(im covered under LEOSA) im coning ...

Thread: NY carry question Allegany State Park

Going on a short weekend camping/fishing trip to Allegany Sate Park in Western NY...can you CC in that state park?(im covered under LEOSA) im coning in from PA and dont want to be carrying there if Im not supposed to be..

There is no concealed carry in State Parks in NY.

That being said, I have no idea if your LEOSA exception allows you to carry in State Parks the way that it allows you to carry in NY.

Attached is a digital copy of the NYS Office of Parks & Recreation - Rules and Regulations Booklet in .pdf form.

The specific regulation is on page 14 of the booklet. Section 375 - Prohibited Activities. Subsection p - Firearms and Weapons.
    Attached Files

Does H.R. 218 preempt state and local laws regarding firearms?
    Yes, H.R. 218 specifies two exceptions:

This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their

property; or

2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation,

building, base, or park.

This means private persons or businesses may post their property with ”no firearms or weapons” signs and no one other than active duty law enforcement officers may bring a firearm onto the premises. Additionally, state or local governments may prohibit firearms on government property in a similar manner.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Does H.R. 218 preempt state and local laws regarding firearms?
    Yes, H.R. 218 specifies two exceptions:

This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their

property; or

2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation,

building, base, or park.

This means private persons or businesses may post their property with ”no firearms or weapons” signs and no one other than active duty law enforcement officers may bring a firearm onto the premises. Additionally, state or local governments may prohibit firearms on government property in a similar manner.

bosco
    After reading a summary of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (HR 218) and the State Parks Regulations, i can honestly say I'm no further. If the LEOSA allows you to carry in NY, notwithstanding local and state law, I would think you could carry in a State Park as an active or retired LEO. If State Park regulations applied to the LEOSA, surely the state law that says no non-resident may carry in NY would apply. And it clearly does not.

Best thing to do is probably to call the Alleghany Park Office or the State Office of Parks and Recreation and ask.

Yeah, I just wondered I HATE trying to make sense of laws and making them "mesh" together...I lived in NY near that park for 24 years I never really thought about CC back then or the "rules" because I was a Police Officer in NY at the time..I know the rules back then but its all slipped away now that im in PA....now I have a fishing/camping trip there at the Park this weekend and I was like....Hmmm I wonder if I can even CC this weekend...looks like I really will just have to leave my gun at home for the whole trip...

Actually just got off the phone with the State Park Police and they said no CC in the park BUT that id be ok as long as I left it locked in the trunk or glove box or what ever..guess at least having it around will be better than not having one at all...

C Bennett,
    I also am a New York State Resident and I was Unfamiliar with the carry laws in Allegany State Park So I, want to thank you for calling them and posting it . Now I know that I can leave it locked in Glove box and or, Trunk Have a good time
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Sponsored Links