Why You Might Want to Carry on Campus...

Why You Might Want to Carry on Campus...

This is a discussion on Why You Might Want to Carry on Campus... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as I do. But then, I not a student or employee -- so it is legal for me, at both local campuses near me, here ...

Thread: Why You Might Want to Carry on Campus...

VIP Member

Lightbulb Why You Might Want to Carry on Campus...

as I do.

But then, I not a student or employee -- so it is legal for me, at both local campuses near me, here in VA.

In the meantime I and you should be working to make it legal for everyone -- in all States.

The Associated Press: Gov't report sees increase in campus violence

Gov't report sees increase in campus violence
    By PETE YOST (AP)

WASHINGTON — Targeted college campus violence, from serious assaults to the mass shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007, is up sharply over the last two decades.

The number of cases rose from 40 during the 1980s to 79 in the 1990s and 83 since 2000, says a study issued Friday by the FBI, Secret Service and Education Department.

The cause of the increase is unknown, though the report noted a dramatic rise in college student enrollment in the past 20 years.

Violence on or near college campuses is hardly new. The report cited, for example, a murder-suicide in 1909. In that incident 101 years ago, a man shot and killed a student on her college campus and then killed himself, reportedly after the student rejected his marriage proposals.

"For years, colleges and universities have worked to address this challenge — to create safe campuses where academic and personal growth can flourish," says the study, "Campus Attacks." "In the wake of the Virginia Tech tragedy, many universities were confronted with the troubling reality that one person can, in a few brief moments, devastate a college community through an act of targeted violence."

The report was released on the third anniversary of the shooting rampage by Virginia Tech student Seung-Hui Cho, who killed 32 students and faculty members and took his own life. The report comes as a result of recommendations from a federal panel that studied that tragedy.

In the 272 incidents of targeted violence studied for the report, 281 people were killed 247 injured. Of those deaths, at least 190 were students and at least 72 were employees.

Targeted violence is defined as cases where attackers select a victim beforehand or randomly choose victims because they fit some predetermined profile or relationship. It excludes violence that breaks out spontaneously, such as during an argument.

The study found that:

_Factors relating to an intimate relationship were a motivating or triggering factor in a third of attacks and academic stress or failure was a factor in one out of 10 attacks.

_Sixty percent of those who engaged in targeted campus violence were current or former students at the school where the violence took place.

_Firearms were used in more than half the incidents and knives or weapons with a blade were used in over 20 percent.

_Over 90 percent of those who committed such attacks were male.

In nearly three-quarters of the incidents studied, the attacker appeared to have targeted one or more specifically named individuals. But sometimes it appeared that random people were targeted along with specific victims.

Understanding what motivates an attacker to go solely after random victims "remains a complex and difficult challenge," the report said.

The report included 52 acts of violence in areas surrounding college campuses, saying that to exclude nearby locations would neglect the role of campus safety departments and campus threat assessment teams in securing the general area.

The report is a preliminary step in gaining a better understanding of targeted campus violence.

The next phase of the work — a collaboration between the FBI and the Education Department — will examine case files and investigative records from campus attacks, with a focus on factors such as past behavior and mental illness by those who carry out such crimes.

The research is expected to help threat assessment teams made up of professionals from a wide range of campus departments. The teams created in the aftermath of the Virginia Tech killings identify individuals whose behavior causes concern or is disruptive and assess whether the person has the intent or ability to carry out an attack.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

To my understanding, carry on Alabama campuses is legal as well. Unfortunately, as a student, I would face expulsion if I were to carry on my campus. It's pretty ridiculous that I would be within my rights on any other AL campus though...

I used to be the Oklahoma rep for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

I don't know how they're doing these days but back when I was active it was a great group which got a lot of attention and made a fair bit of progress.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Research all they want, but as long as crazy people know that college campuses don't allow students and faculty to carry concealed weapons, they will always have a captive audience of defenseless victims in which to grab their 15 minutes of fame in a blaze of glory.

Ain't that a shame????
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

This has been a VERY hot topic here in Colorado recently, as a ban on concealed weapons on CSU campus was recently passed by the board - the same day the most recent school shooting happened, if t you can believe that.

However, just a couple of short months after that happened, there have been some welcome developments.

Court tosses CU gun ban - The Denver Post

By Carlos Illescas and Monte Whaley
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 04/16/2010
    Updated: 04/20/2010

The Colorado Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that the University of Colorado has no authority to bar students or visitors from lawfully carrying guns on campus.

The appeals court said an El Paso County district judge was wrong to dismiss a challenge filed by a group called Students for Concealed Carry on Campus and three students from the University of Colorado.

The CU Board of Regents adopted a ban on all guns on campuses, believing the statewide Concealed Carry Act (CCA) did not apply to universities.

But the court found that the legislature, in standardizing the rules governing concealed weapons from county to county through the CCA of 2003, specifically intended the act to apply everywhere in the state except in a handful of places listed in the statute, like K-12 schools.

Attorney Jim Manley, who represents the plaintiffs, called the ruling "a real victory for individual freedom" and the law.

"When the legislature says statewide, it means statewide," said Manley, an attorney for the Mountain States Legal Foundation. "The regents wanted to read in an exception that didn't exist. The court of appeals rejected that."

What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

No one should be forced to be a sitting duck inside a classroom, or unable to defend themselves on campus grounds.

After V-Tech, I think it's obvious. And then there are the thousands of rapes, assaults, robberies which although on a much smaller scale as to the notoriety of V-Tech, are none the less just as deadly.

Students for Concealed Carry On Campus is doing a good job at getting the word out and taking part in getting legislation started in several States. Even though Missouri's most recent attempt to allow concealed carry on campus failed... I believe they will continue in their effort to pass this legislation.

When legislation comes up in a particular State, they need a concerted effort to campaign and be able to counter the absurd myths touted by the opposition. We all know not everyone is going to be packing a gun. And thousands of students will be ineligible due to age restrictions anyway. An often touted excuse for the opposition, that teenagers are too irresponsible to have guns in an environment where illegal drinking and irresponsible behavior is often prevalent. That argument seems to be one of the main arguments the opposition uses which seems to take hold and then they run with it.

All members of the CCW community should support and get involved to the extent possible when legislation comes before the legislature in their particular State.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carried yesterday onto a university that I'm not supposed to per their policy. This is what it states.

1. No weapon or ammunition shall be worn, displayed, used, or possessed on campus.
    2. Weapons may be stored on campus under the control of the Director of University Public Safety and in accordance with the policy and procedures of the Office of Public Safety.
    3. The Director of University Public Safety may grant permission in writing to an individual to possess a weapon or ammunition on campus for instructional purposes and in other special circumstances and under conditions as approved by the Director.

Violation: Any employee, faculty, student, or other representative of the University who violates this policy shall be notified of the violation and subject to disciplinary sanctions under the applicable discipline process.

Any member of the public who violates this policy shall be notified of the violation and asked to comply. If the public member will not comply, the individual shall be removed from campus and subject to all legal penalties, including the criminal trespass provisions under Maine law.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Any member of the public who violates this policy shall be notified of the violation and asked to comply. If the public member will not comply, the individual shall be removed from campus and subject to all legal penalties, including the criminal trespass provisions under Maine law.
    Yep, I figure if they give you the option to comply or peacefully leave, then I'm good to go. Concealed means concealed.

If you are confronted, who's gonna be a jerk and not peacefully leave when asked? Not I. I'll be happy to leave.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I had family at V Tech at the time of the shooting, in an adjacent building taking a test. Pretty scary to be waiting by the phones to see if your family member is among the pile of victims. Thankfully, he wasn't. He now carries.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

As I am a student, I have made the decision to carry on campus despite school policy. It is legal as far as the state is concerned... I conceal it well, and have had no issues carrying it for the 3 terms that I have been a CHL holder

No weapons on campus here in NC (this includes *ALL* types of educational properties - which means legally I cannot carry when I go to pick my kids up from elementary school).

Draconian law without merit, IMO. Agree with all of the above posters. After incidents like VTech, the outlook towards CCW by legally licensed citizens (students and otherwise) on educational properties needs to be re-evaluated.

Several months ago someone posted saying they wrote a letter to the school requesting permission to carry concealed. The law says you must receive written permission from the school in order to carry. Anyone hear how that played out?

Sponsored Links