FBI temporarily suspends fingerprint background checks

This is a discussion on FBI temporarily suspends fingerprint background checks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on the Texas DPS website tonight trying to figure out how to check on the progress of my CHL application(which I never did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was on the Texas DPS website tonight trying to figure out how to check on the progress of my CHL application(which I never did figure out if someone out there could tell me how to do this please) and there is a big info block saying that the FBI will be temporarily suspending all the fingerprint background checks from April 28th thru May 3rd so they can process the 484,000 census bureua workers fringerprint background checks so they can go to work and check the censuses when they come in. So all of us that have their applications in already will have to wait even longer if they haven't already got their background checks done by that date.

Did you recieve your PIN# from DPS? As I recall, the paper they sent with the PIN also included the web site and directions for checking your status.

Sorry about the delay. Sucks to have to wait even longer. It says that they will resume on May 4 but because of the backlog it may take an aditional 2 weeks.
    Well, don't forget that you can still carry in your vehicle at least.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    What load of crap. I know in some states they must issue within a certain time frame. The fact is that a permit should not be needed to exercise your constitutional rights!

cliffyp I mailed my paper work in on april 1st and haven't received anything in the mail from them at all. I got online trying to find something but couldn't. There are a couple of phone numbers in the CHL handbook that I plan on calling tomorrow to see if they can tell me anything. Oh, and they have cashed my check already so I know they got my application.

I have a Utah non-resident permit I got first because Texas was taking 6-8 months or longer back when I was looking into getting my permit and Utah was only 2 months so I can carry on me. I just decided it was time to get the Texas permit and then this happens.

Toorop, Texas says it will make EVERY EFFORT to issue your license within 60 days or notify you that you didn't get approved. To me that means they may or may not get it to you but they are supposed to have it to you within 60 days.

There was a survey on the news the other day about concealed carry and it was something like 50% of the people said you shouldn't have to have a permit to carry concealed, like 40% said they liked the Texas rules and the other 10% said we shouldn't be able to carry guns. I may be off on the numbers but the no permit people were ahead.

Well, it IS a federal database. I can't say that I'm surprised that, in the FBI's opinion, federal priorities come first.

Yep in Missouri, the Sheriff must issue within 45 days whether the background check is completed or not.

If later it comes back you were ineligible, it's the Sheriff's responsibility to then contact you to revoke the permit which had been issued.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n, when i got my Utah permit there was a letter in there saying that the federal background check hadn't been completed yet and if there were any issues they would contact me later. That was back in November so I'm guessing they didn't find anything bad.

Here in Nevada

I applied two weeks ago (first time gun owner/carrier) and I was told it was a two month wait but more likely three months due to FBI not taking in any fingerprints for those two weeks.

awww man.. cuz i didnt hate the census enough already. what a bummer!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

In Texas you're required to submit fingerprints to get a CHP?

Quote Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
    I was on the Texas DPS website tonight trying to figure out how to check on the progress of my CHL application(which I never did figure out if someone out there could tell me how to do this please) and there is a big info block saying that the FBI will be temporarily suspending all the fingerprint background checks from April 28th thru May 3rd so they can process the 484,000 census bureua workers fringerprint background checks so they can go to work and check the censuses when they come in. So all of us that have their applications in already will have to wait even longer if they haven't already got their background checks done by that date.
    Check status

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post
    Michigan as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post

Florida we submit fingerprints as part of the application too. I got my permit in a week!

I don't have any problem with getting fingerprinted, nor do I have a problem with the background check. I don't think we should let every schmuck in the state carry around a gun until they have had a little education first as to the safe handling of the weapon and the laws governing legal use of it. Turnaround for my Tx CHL was about 30 days.

Oklahoma requires fingerprints as well. However, the permit has to be issued to us within 90 days of application whether the BG and fingerprint checks are done or not.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links