Texas CHL Law

This is a discussion on Texas CHL Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in a pharmacy and have a CHL and cant find if it is legal to have my gun at work in Texas. If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas CHL Law

Texas CHL Law

I work in a pharmacy and have a CHL and cant find if it is legal to have my gun at work in Texas.
    If anyone has any info it is much appreciated

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Does your employer have a company policy forbidding firearms in the work place?

i certainly dont know of any law that would provent you from carrying in a pharmacy.
    As far as the work issue goes, its more of a questions of whether or not your employer has a policy against it.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by PirateDan View Post
    I work in a pharmacy and have a CHL and cant find if it is legal to have my gun at work in Texas.
    If anyone has any info it is much appreciated
    Totally up to your employer, unless you work in a hospital.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Unless there is a legal 30.06 sign or it's against company policy your good to go
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In the handbook i received when i was hired it says nothing about guns in it and on the door of the store it just has the anyone unlicensed cannot carry in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    Totally up to your employer, unless you work in a hospital.

No issue if you work at a hospital. It has to be posted (30.06) to legally prevent you from carrying. He could however be fired if prohibited by his employer.

I work for Kroger pharmacy so would i have to obtain permission first or being that i have the license i can just have it on me

In the handbook i received when i was hired it says nothing about guns in it and on the door of the store it just has the anyone unlicensed cannot carry in the store.
    If the handbook doesnt say you cant, I wouldnt even ask. they should provide all the rules you need to know in the handbook.

fwiw, my company has a no weapons policy, but if ever the SHTF, Id rather have my gun and lose my job, than not have my gun and lose my life
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

If you ask, the answer will always be NO. Then they will update the handbook, because no one thought of it before.

NEVER ASK !!!

Carry or don't carry. Just know that whether there's a policy or not, they can fire you anyway.

If you're going to carry, don't discuss guns or carrying with anyone, let alone the idea of carrying at work. Your concealment won't work if your mouth doesn't stay shut.

well i wouldn't ask in the first place, your right because they would say no and then make a rule... i just want to make sure that its legal, being that there are controlled drugs around.

Don't ask...Don't tell

I work for Kroger pharmacy so would i have to obtain permission first or being that i have the license i can just have it on me
    All us Texans know the definition of concealed! In the absence of clear direction, I have always believed that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission
    Remember; the best way to keep a secret is to keep it to yourself!
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Legally I see no problems with you carrying. I have carried in Walgreens several times. :)

I do not think being around controlled substances would be a factor unless you were taking said controlled substances. There is a provision for being drunk and carrying. I would assume that being under the influence of other things would apply there as well.

But if you have seen nothing in the employee handbook/rules about firearms, you have not been forewarned. So should be good to go from a legal standpoint.

Most pharmacies inside hospitals are in secure areas(auto locking door, thick glass window with a small hole to pass the drugs through). I wouldn't think you would need to carry in a hospital pharmacy given the above thingss
    area in place, but then again...if I could I prob would just for the hell of it...cause you know.

I work for Kroger Pharmacy so we don't have and lock-down security.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links