1st contact with LEO and CCL!!!

This is a discussion on 1st contact with LEO and CCL!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Amarillo this morning and on my way to a meeting with a customer and a fellow decides to change lanes without looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st contact with LEO and CCL!!!

I was in Amarillo this morning and on my way to a meeting with a customer and a fellow decides to change lanes without looking to his right and hits my new company car. I was carrying my Sig 238 on my belt under my shirt and didn't want the guy that was riding with me to know that I was carrying so I took it off and put it in the trunk before the LEO got there. When he asked me for my DL I showed him my CCL and asked if he needed to see it and he replied "No" and that was that. I was scared he was going to make a big deal out of it but he didn't. Pretty good experience overall...made it to my meeting only 4 minutes late. Thought I would share. Robbie

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Robbie...glad everything went well. Nothing to fear when all is on the up and up!
    Proud NRA member

The best approach that I've heard to handle LEO contact on traffic stops is to just hand your permit to the officer along with your driver's license and remain quiet. They'll take it from there. You are then immediately notifying the officer as may be required by state law and by remaining quiet you are not forcing the officer to respond in an awkward manner. It just seems that no matter how you phrase your verbal notification it makes the situation awkward. Maybe verbal notification is required in some states though. It's not in mine, yet.

Based on my own LEO contacts and that of other Arizonans I've talked to, there is a good chance that they'll say, "I don't need that." and hand it back to you. Or, they'll ask where it is...you tell them...and they'll say, "Okay, you don't touch yours and I won't touch mine." And then you say, "It's a deal."

Personally, I wouldn't have disarmed and placed my sidearm in the trunk for the following reasons:

- If I'm carrying legally, why do I need to disarm?
    - Who's to say I won't need it?
    - I'd be concerned about someone seeing me remove my sidearm and place it into the trunk. Then they know I'm disarmed or they might freak out and claim that I
    was "brandishing a weapon".
    - You're also handling your sidearm in public when you may possibly be a little shaken and despite your safest gun handling practices there is an increased risk of an ND.
    Because of safe practices though, the bullet strikes the ground and no one is harmed but the situation would definitely get a lot more interesting at that point.

That's just my nickel's worth; I'm glad your LEO contact went well.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    This forum and others seems to have made a big deal about the "what if you get stopped by an LEO" scenario. I would bet that easily 99% of all LEO stops (if not closer to 100%) are dealt with in a similar manner to this thread. Even if you still had the firearm on you, the LEO would look at the permit and nothing more would be said or acted on. At most he might just ask you what you are carrying. The idea of not saying anything and letting the LEO do all the talking and only responding when asked is good advice. It is also a good and prudent idea to have the phone number of an attorney on your permit--covers all bases as slight as a problem might be.

re

i would agree - in my experience simple surrender of the permit is the most courteous way to inform the officer without saying anything so there are no surprises if a search ensues - believe me the officer knows what questions to ask and is generally more concerned with the reason you were stopped than the fact that you may be leagally carrying
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    This forum and others seems to have made a big deal about the "what if you get stopped by an LEO" scenario. I would bet that easily 99% of all LEO stops (if not closer to 100%) are dealt with in a similar manner to this thread. Even if you still had the firearm on you, the LEO would look at the permit and nothing more would be said or acted on. At most he might just ask you what you are carrying. The idea of not saying anything and letting the LEO do all the talking and only responding when asked is good advice. It is also a good and prudent idea to have the phone number of an attorney on your permit--covers all bases as slight as a problem might be.

I agree...I see 3 exclamation marks and think someone got killed. Or had a baby.

And in this case...all went smoothly.

I dont get it.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I have read a post on this forum that stated that our CHP made us "the cousin of the LEO".Elsewhere, I have read an entire thread that said that permit holders are LEO. I have also read several threads and posts stating that we have a responsibility , nay a solem duty, to intervene in crimes and protect the flock.

I really believe that some of the "always inform" crowd truly believe in their deepest,fevered, fantasies that their permit makes them an adjunct LEO and they can't wait to show that card to the cop.

But that's just a theory

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I really believe that some of the "always inform" crowd truly believe in their deepest,fevered, fantasies that their permit makes them an adjunct LEO and they can't wait to show that card to the cop.

But that's just a theory
    It is my deepest, fevered dream that I never have to be an LEO, or do their job.

In Texas, we must inform. It's the law.

I would rather never show my card and risk getting a bad cop. I would rather never draw my gun. I would rather never get stopped for a traffic violation.

Your theory is only for a select few.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Originally posted by gilraen Your theory is only for a select few.
    Originally posted by Treo I really believe that some of the "always inform" crowd truly believe in their deepest,fevered, fantasies that their permit makes them an adjunct LEO and they can't wait to show that card to the cop.
    Each word in the sentence has meaning

re

"very few" would be more accurate in my experience
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I agree. Its probably more than 99% that are good stops as far as your firearm possession goes. These are not the ones that concern me, its the chance that I might hit the bad one lottery that worries me.

Michael

[QUOTE=gilraen

In Texas, we must inform. It's the law.

I would rather never show my card and risk getting a bad cop. I would rather never draw my gun. I would rather never get stopped for a traffic violation[/QUOTE]

The law has changed in Texas, You no longer have to inform or show your permit. When the LEO runs a check on you he will see you have a CCL. I was stopped recently and showed my permit,the officer asked if I was carrying my weapon which I was and it was not a problem. Never lie, be up front about it. You are within your rights.

Hey guys...I was just relaying my first experience with a LEO and was glad that it went so smoothly. I removed my carry gun because I didn't want the co-worker riding with me to see it (my boss knows I carry but none of my other coworkers know). I did that in case the LEO made me remove it. Let me emphasize one thing...I don't think that because I carry a handgun...that I am a LEO or want to intervene in a crime (unless there is no way out) I carry a handgun to make sure that I get to come back home to see the ones that I love and to protect the ones that I love. I travel thru some of the biggest towns in 7 states and have almost been carjacked once....not something that I want to go thru again. Just thought I would share a very positive experience with a nice police officer. Robbie

I've been stopped several times by LEO since I've had my CHL..Everytime I was carrying. All I've done was hand them my DL and my CHL and say good afternoon officer...They've handed my CHL back, ran my drivers license, told what I did wrong and give me a warning and be nothing but polite and professional...knock on wood!...By the way...All have been Texas State Troopers!
    One did ask me were I had my weapon, I told him IWB left side...That was all that was said.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

The only reason I took mine off was that I didn't want the fellow riding with me to know I was carrying...if he had found out...15 minutes later my home office would have known. Not good...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links