Flying To Florida...What Do I Do?? - Page 2

Flying To Florida...What Do I Do??

This is a discussion on Flying To Florida...What Do I Do?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CenterOfMass Good to know, gunny. I've used the TSA locks over 20 times and have never had an issue at Delta or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying To Florida...What Do I Do??

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterOfMass View Post
    Good to know, gunny. I've used the TSA locks over 20 times and have never had an issue at Delta or TSA, but better to be safe than sorry.
    Different airlines, different rules.

From the United site....................

Firearms
    Federal regulations require that firearms in checked baggage or in their own shipping cases be unloaded and declared. Firearms are not allowed in carry-on bags. Firearms in checked baggage must be packed in a locked hard-sided bag or gun case. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms. A maximum of 11 lbs. of small arms ammunition is allowed in checked luggage in the original manufacturer's box or securely packed in a fiber, wood or metal box to prevent movement of cartridges.

From the American Airlines site............

General Information

* Firearms and ammunition are accepted as checked baggage only.
    * Firearms will only be accepted if unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container only (for example - rifle case. TSA approved locks are now accepted).
    * Ammunition must be packed in its original packaging. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted.
    * Firearms may not be checked curbside.
    * No one under 18 years of age may check a firearm.
    * Pellet and BB guns are not considered firearms, and therefore, do not require any special handling or documentation.

And if you really want to have fun.............

Air Canada...............

Only hunting rifles, shotguns, BB guns, paintball guns, air pistols and certain handguns are accepted as checked baggage. View a list of prohibited firearms.

Checking in your firearm

All firearms must be unloaded: when checking in a firearm, customers must sign a declaration form attesting that the firearm is not loaded.

Only passengers age 18 and over may carry a firearm in their checked baggage.

Customers wishing to travel with a firearm in their checked baggage are advised to be at the airport a full 30 minutes before the normal recommended check-in time for their flight.

Charges

All accepted firearms are subject to a $50 CAD/USD handling charge (plus applicable taxes) for carriage on Air Canada and Jazz flights. The charge applies to one-way flights and for each way of travel on round-trip and multi-segment flights.

A single fixed handling charge is waived for Latitude and Executive fare customers for travel within Canada, and between Canada and the US. Additional checked baggage rules still apply.

Each of the following is considered an individual item when packed separately:

* One rifle case containing no more than two rifles (with or without scope) plus 5 kg (11 lb) ammunition (packaged separately), one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small rifle tools;
    * Two shotguns and two shotgun cases;
    * One pistol case containing no more than 5 pistols.

If your baggage count (one individual item in this category + number of bags to be checked) exceeds the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type, additional checked baggage charges will apply, in addition to the fixed handling charge of $50 CAD/USD .

The Canadian government charges additional fees for bringing firearms into Canada. For more information, please visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.

The firearm:

* must be unloaded,
    * must be rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device mechanism or trigger lock on the weapon,
    * must be packaged and locked in a specially designed, non-transparent case that cannot be easily broken into during transport.

By the way, Air Canada will not transport "prohibited firearms" as defined under Federal law.

These include............

Prohibited firearms include:

* Full automatics or converted automatics, handguns with a barrel of 105mm or less;
    * Handguns that discharge 25 or 32 caliber ammunition and some long guns prohibited by criminal code regulations;
    * A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less;
    * A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition;
    * A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
    * A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;
    * An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm;
    * Any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

Note the barrel length and calibers listed.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

No one seems to have mentioned this (maybe because it's so obvious), but be sure you are licensed to possess the handgun in both your ORIGIN and DESTINATION.

Also, if for some reason you are detoured or need to stop in a state that you are not licensed in, DO NOT pick up your firearm. There have been cases (in NY) where people have been arrested for doing just that, even though the stop was temporary.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Different airlines, different rules.

From the American Airlines site............

General Information

* Firearms and ammunition are accepted as checked baggage only.
    * Firearms will only be accepted if unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container only (for example - rifle case. TSA approved locks are now accepted). * Ammunition must be packed in its original packaging. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted.
    * Firearms may not be checked curbside.
    * No one under 18 years of age may check a firearm.
    * Pellet and BB guns are not considered firearms, and therefore, do not require any special handling or documentation.

I would be careful following American Airlines guidelines for allowing a TSA approved lock on any case containg a firearm. Existing TSA regs still only allow access to the locked case by the traveler. Not to mention I will never give unfettered access to my firearms by TSA.

Specific existing TSA locking rules below:

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    The firearm must be unloaded.
    The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
    My reason for highlighting this is even though American Airlines may now allow a TSA lock on your firearm case, (rifle only?) TSA regs stil prohibit it. If TSA wants to be difficult, they may prohibit the case from from being put on the plane, even if American Airlines rules permit it. Another reason is if TSA breaks or loses your TSA lock, the unlocked case is definitely not going on the aircraft.

Sorry, I will never allow TSA unfettered acces to any of my firearms. Ever. This is the same outfit that couldn't stop the underwear bomber even after being warned about him.

I have no idea why AA rules would allow something TSA still prohibits.

My ,02

re

in response to your thread title..........bring suntan lotion and ear & eye protection
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Search on here and you will find a lot of info. 2 links below to help.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...s-learned.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...mmo-plane.html

Arrow

one more link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links