Flying To Florida...What Do I Do??

This is a discussion on Flying To Florida...What Do I Do?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am flying from Toledo, Ohio to Orlando, Fl and have never had to think about weapons before. I want to bring my Glock 19 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying To Florida...What Do I Do??

Flying To Florida...What Do I Do??

I am flying from Toledo, Ohio to Orlando, Fl and have never had to think about weapons before. I want to bring my Glock 19 and some ammo to shoot. Can I put this in my checked baggage? What do I say to the counter person so I don't cause alarm? Do I need a locked case? Please help a COMPLETE noob out...thanks, Bill
    What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

2. Remove Ads

Here's a start:TSA: Traveling with Special Items

There's a few threads on this if you search. I'd recommend buy ammo when you get there and shooting it before you leave based on the experiences others on here have had.

Guns and ammo are fine in checked baggage. The gun must be declared to the airline. As soon as you arrive at the ticket counter, tell the agent you have a firearm to declare. They will have you sign a firearms declaration "form" which is really a small tag. The firearm must be in a hard sided, locked case. This can either be a stand alone hard firearm case, or a small hard sided locked gun case inside a larger checked bag. The firearm declaration form will be placed inside or on the gun case. It goes without saying, but guns must be UNLOADED. Ammo must be in either it's original packaging, or other container specifically designed for transporting ammo. Properly declared and packaged firearms in checked baggage will generally not get you any grief from TSA. If your bag or gun case needs to be inspected for any reason, you will know about it because they will need you there with the key.

VIP Member
    Flying with a firearm is no problem.

Each airline has their own rules and regs about it though. Go to your airlines website and print off the relevant data. You want to be prepared in case you run into someone at the counter that doesn't know what they're doing.

Do a search on this topic. There have been lots of threads on this forum that will give you a wealth of information.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Flying with a firearm is no problem.

Each airline has their own rules and regs about it though. Go to your airlines website and print off the relevant data. You want to be prepared in case you run into someone at the counter that doesn't know what they're doing.

Do a search on this topic. There have been lots of threads on this forum that will give you a wealth of information.
    This is true. Airlines are permitted to be more restrictive than the feds, just not less. For example, Midwest Airlines has a screwy rule against ammo being transported in the same case as a firearm.

Printout and read the TSA and the airline's rules.Take them with you to show to staff if needed.
    Re locks; The lock on the inner hard gun case must be one that only you can open.
    He lock on the outer (suitcase) must be a TSA lock which they can open.
    The reason for the inner lock is that TSA personnel can only open the gun case with you present.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

What I Do....

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review TSA: Traveling with Special Items to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
    2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a:
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • To determine if the ammo
        • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
        • can fly in loaded magazines
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visable.
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
      • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
        • Your personal email address - if you have one
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
      • if the TSA wants to see
    10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

What he said!!

I might add....the weapons case must be hard sided and lockable. That is about all the TSA says it has to be. You can get single pistol cases for $30 from Cabelas and other places. Just lock them and put them inside your suitcase. Be prepared to open them for inspection at either the airline counter or the TSA. Print out the regs from the airline and TSA so you have them with you.

It is a breeze if you follow the rules as described above by some many others. One point regarding locks on the case.

I would recommend going to Wally World and in the luggage section, pick up a couple of "TSA locks". These are locks that the TSA can open; put one on your luggage and use the other one for your "locked" gun case. That way, if TSA needs to open your luggage/case when you're not around, it is a simple process and they won't be forced to cut your lock and your case stays secure all through the trip. Good luck!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

I've never had a problem. Practice your Google-fu and do a search on this site. This has been discussed many, many times. It's really not that difficult, and may take you and extra five or ten minutes at the airport if you follow the rules. No need to buy ammunition at your destination.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Printout and read the TSA and the airline's rules.Take them with you to show to staff if needed.
    Re locks; The lock on the inner hard gun case must be one that only you can open.
    He lock on the outer (suitcase) must be a TSA lock which they can open.
    The reason for the inner lock is that TSA personnel can only open the gun case with you present.
    There is NO TSA requirement to lock your luggage. I stopped doing it because TSA was constantly cutting off my TSA approved locks! I either don;t lock or use a nylon wire tie to secure my bag. TSA can cut those off all day long. I do use a small security cable to lock my gun case to the inside of my suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

• MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
    • can fly in loaded magazines
    [*]If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visable. [*]The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose[/LIST][*]Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage. [/LIST]
    Check with the airline before flying with ammo. Even though TSA allows loaded mags that are covered, some airlines prohibit this, If you are forced to unload mags and don't have ammo boxes, your ammo will not fly with you.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Check with the airline before flying with ammo. Even though TSA allows loaded mags that are covered, some airlines prohibit this, If you are forced to unload mags and don't have ammo boxes, your ammo will not fly with you.
    Perhaps herein lies the problem. A loaded mag may "look" dangerous to some city-dwelling airline clerk. Much is about appearances as the laws and rules are confusing, and these people know less than you or me in most instances.

I never fly with loaded mags, and I always use one of those bright orange chamber safety inserts in the gun's battery. I lock up the firearm and the uloaded and separate mag in my COM gun safe tethered with the cable inside my luggage. In a separate zippered compartment, I place a box of my SD ammo in its original box.

Never had an issue in many, many flights. If you look like you're being strong on safety, they treat you as a pro. That's my experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterOfMass View Post
    These are locks that the TSA can open; put one on your luggage and use the other one for your "locked" gun case. That way, if TSA needs to open your luggage/case when you're not around, it is a simple process and they won't be forced to cut your lock and your case stays secure all through the trip. Good luck!
    No, No, No!!

Do not do this. Most airlines specify you CAN NOT use TSA locks for the gun case. You must have a non TSA approved lock that only you have the key or combination for.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Good to know, gunny. I've used the TSA locks over 20 times and have never had an issue at Delta or TSA, but better to be safe than sorry.
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links