My wife decides to carry....

This is a discussion on My wife decides to carry.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, my wife has never been anti, has always supported my decision to carry, but has never shown the desire to do so herself, with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife decides to carry....

My wife decides to carry....

So, my wife has never been anti, has always supported my decision to carry, but has never shown the desire to do so herself, with the exception of a brief period last year, when a neighbor was having some trouble with an abusive husband.
    So, a couple months ago, I was shocked to hear her mention getting her CHL. I really tried not to push her on it, though I was thrilled. As time went on, she started mentioning it more often, and decided she should go ahead with it. She grew up around guns, but never handled them much herself, and is a little, no, a lot nervous around them.
    She signed up for a safety class at a local range, and is on her way to class even as I type this. She had decided it would be better if she had her own gun prior to the class, so she'd be more comfortable with it. She asked me for my thoughts on a firearm, and also did quite a bit of reseach on the web.
    On Mother's day, after opening the new Benchmade I got her(lol), we went to the gun shop, where she decided on a Taurus snubbie in .357 with a concealed hammer. Nice little piece.
    Since then, she has decided she wants to carry it more than just to and from our studio when she works(she is a belly dancer), and may actually carry most of the time.
    What a difference in a few months. On the radio a few days ago, we heard about a woman who'd been held at knifepoint and forced to drive to a remote location. My wife's first words were,"why the H$%#& didn't she have a gun?". She then realized what she'd said, and was a little surprised. It's a remarkable(and pleasing) change I've seen in her.
    Any of y'all know a holster maker who caters to the female crowd? I'm having a hard time convincing her to spend more money for a pricey carry rig, especially as I am comfortable with my $30 Don Hume. Trouble is, we are having trouble finding carry gear for her gun, being a 7 shot snubbie in .357.
    Input from the females would be great, if any of you can suggest what works for you. My wife has an hourglass type body,I know body shape can make a difference when choosing a holster for women.
    Last edited by Fjolnirsson; June 4th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

2. Remove Ads

Glad she decided to carry

My wife carries a Taurus snubbie .357 as well.. Model 605B, IIRC.

Desantis makes a holster that she rather likes, I can't recall the model atm, but, most of the time, she sticks with a cheapie Uncle Mikes IWB...

Hope it helps :)

(wheeee First post here!)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

OD*
    Terrific, good for her!!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I'm a female and I carry IWB holsters most of the time made by planet holster. or she can try a fanny pack to which I also use sometimes. congradulations to her for making the choice to carry.merlin45kout

A carrying family is a caring family.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief
    A carrying family is a caring family.
    Now that's cute.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Great news Byron. Can't help with the holster. Maybe Gary will jump in with some ideas. Hope the wife dances better than that banana.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Assistant Administrator
    Fjol' - that is excellent news. I was similarly pleased when without too much real pressure, my wife went and got her CCW about 18 months ago.

She carries way less than I would like but - working on it and she has also at least added to her equipment the OC I got for her a few weeks back. Most important, she has upped her sit' awareness a lot and so this will help even more to avoid trouble in first place.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good for her, my wife went shooting for the first time yesterday at an organized event to introduce women to different kinds of firearms.....

She comes back telling me she didn't like the little "bb guns" but that she wants a shotgun and an AR :)

I've carried since the moment CCW passed in Ohio, so it's been 26 months now. Took me a while to find the right holster, but I finally did. I'm ashamed to say I carried in an Uncle Mike's IWB for way too long. I'm surprised it never feel out on the floor on me! I now carry in a Kramer Leather IWB fleece lined, and love it!! Extremely comfortable and does not add bulk.
    http://kramerleather.com/productDeta...&categoryID=22
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Milt Sparks has a OWB revolver holster called the PMK that is well suited to women - or so I hear.

www.miltsparks.com/PMK.htm

I have one for a Ruger SP101 357 with 2.25" barrel. It was well worth the money.

Luke

My better half carries a S&W 642 in a holster made by Josh Bulman. It is the T.J. Special. It is designed for appendix carry. She finds it to be very comfortable.

Bulman show a Taurus 7 shot .357 on his available list. Josh has great customer service and is great to deal with.

http://www.bulmangunleather.com/beltholster.html

One thing to keep in mind about a woman carrying in the appendix position is it will be helpful if she has a large enough chest to allow her shirt to drape enough to keep the gun from printing.

Here are some other holsters to look at.

C. Rusty Sherrick has some Ladies holsters.
    http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/Holsters.html

Here is a site with holsters and some very good info in the "How to choose" womens holsters.
    http://www.womensholsters.com/index.html

Matt Del Fatti
    http://www.delfatti.com/

I have also learned in some past research that many women find the Allesi CQC/S to work very well.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

VIP Member
    Great resources, Brian45. Mitch Rosen makes the "Nancy Special" and Blade Tech offers a dropped offset. Some women have used a smart carry or belly band which they rotate to a comfortable spot. My wife stole my P3-AT and it's Uncle Mike's pocket holster after she saw three wolves watching her come out of the hen house in broad daylight. The neighbor down the road had a mountain lion on his roof a while back (not that there's anyway to defend against THAT.)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Heh, we've got one of those smart carry's, and a couple assorted belly bands.... She says they're not terribly comfortable, but they conceal very well, however, here in ohio, they're useless :( (Stupid car-carry rules :( )
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links