Defensive Carry banner

Kansas Conceal and Carry Class

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Beachbumcook 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to take my class and i was wondering if anybody knew what the shooting part intails. Whats the distance you have to shoot at and the amount of time you have to shoot in?

#2 ·
When I took it in late 2008 you were required to hit 18 out of 25 on scoring portion of target (I believe it was a TQ-15)....

5 shots one-hand at 3 yards,
10 shots two-hand at 7 yards
10 shots two-hand at 10 yards

There were no time limits and the target you shoot at is a pretty good size. I was also advised to get a separate CCH instead of having it designated on my drivers license for reasons at this time escape me...but at the time they seemed reasonable.

Good luck!!

#3 ·
I think they've changed the law and now the permit is required to be seperate from your license. I did this anyway when I got mine. I don't need everyone that checks my license to know I'm armed.

As far as the shooting requirements, that sounds about right. I was fairly new at the time and took a .38 spl revolver to shoot just to make sure I could hit the target. I overcompensated for my noobness. I do feel like you should shoot what you plan to carry if you have that sorted out yet. If you can practice at those distances with a paper plate (regular size) for a target.

#5 ·
#8 ·
The target used in Kansas (per the AG's office) is the FBI Q-Target.

The scoring area is huge... so don't worry... if you shoot frequently and know how to handle and use your firearm, you will be fine.

The scoring is 18 out of 25 and is very easy.... no time limit... so just take your time. You can also use any handgun you wish... so if you want to use a .22 you could... I personally shot with the gun I am proficent with and use... but I had an older lady sho owned a 357mag for home use... but shot with a .22 to qualify.

The CCH permit is now seperate from your DL for two reasons.
1) Your DL and CCH renew at different times.

2) When using your DL or showing it for ID purposes, they didn't want people to know that a person was also a CCH permit holder.

Your DL number is also your CCH permit license number... the two are tied together for all internal purpopes and if a LEO pulls up your DL#, your record will be flagged accordingly that you are also a CCH permnit holder.

Good luck in your class.

ps - I live in Johnson County

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.