Ohio "no gun" signs

This is a discussion on Ohio "no gun" signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this really a law if a private business posts this? Or is it just their "stand on guns"? I'm under the impression if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio "no gun" signs

Ohio "no gun" signs

Is this really a law if a private business posts this? Or is it just their "stand on guns"?

I'm under the impression if I "don't see the sign" and I carry in that facility, I'm fine. If they notice and ask me to leave, I then leave. If I refuse to leave it's then trespassing?

Just curious if this is right or am I way off on this?

My biggest question would be banks.... it does not state banks are illegal to carry in, but I'm assuming most have "no gun" signs posted.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

re

i know florida is no help to you but i carry everywhere except the obvious and anyplace that is posted - and if i am asked to remove the weapon from the premises then i comply - but since i carry correctly no one ever knows so it has been a moot point if i ever missed a sign someplace but i try to be observant and use common sense and i have been in many banks with my cw
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Millerb7 View Post
    Is this really a law if a private business posts this? Or is it just their "stand on guns"?
    I'm under the impression if I "don't see the sign" and I carry in that facility, I'm fine. If they notice and ask me to leave, I then leave. If I refuse to leave it's then trespassing?
    Just curious if this is right or am I way off on this?
    My biggest question would be banks.... it does not state banks are illegal to carry in, but I'm assuming most have "no gun" signs posted.Thanks!
    You should always check your STATE website for Laws.

Ohio CC Law

Statutory Reference(s): R.C. 2923.126(C) allows private employers to
    prohibit the presence of firearms on their property or in motor vehicles
    owned by the employer.
    R.C. 2923.126(C)(3) allows the owner or person in control of private land
    to post a sign in a conspicuous place that prohibits persons from carrying
    concealed firearms on that property.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Properly placed "no guns" signs have the force of law. There's no standard like the Texas 30.06, but they must be reasonably clear and prominently placed. Something on the employee bulletin board or other obscure location not readily visible by a patron doesn't cut it. They can ASK you to leave whether they're posted or not if they find out you're armed and don't like it. You have only committed a CRIME if you then refuse to leave.

Parking lots may be posted, but being in one armed is only civil trespass and then only if they find out and ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, it's a crime.

You cannot carry into an establishment with a Class D (by the drink) liquor license. Almost none of them that I can think of are actually posted. If it's a nice restaurant, they're probably a CPZ. Leave your gun in the glove box, closed center console, a locked container out of sight or in the trunk.

Yeah knew all other laws but this one. Wasn't on the handguns.us website. Odd.

if u read the law, you have to "knowingly" , as is, "ya, i saw the sign but i carried anyway" to be charged....

so, the "what sign?" defense is the best way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by hipthunder View Post
    i know florida is no help to you but i carry everywhere except the obvious and anyplace that is posted - and if i am asked to remove the weapon from the premises then i comply - but since i carry correctly no one ever knows so it has been a moot point if i ever missed a sign someplace but i try to be observant and use common sense and i have been in many banks with my cw
    I understand the obvious (places illegal to carry), but why would you remove your weapon(s) because of a FL sign (I've not seen one)?
    Signs mean nothing...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    if u read the law, you have to "knowingly" , as is, "ya, i saw the sign but i carried anyway" to be charged....

so, the "what sign?" defense is the best way to go...
    However, if you have a prosecutor who isn't gun-friendly and the sign was in a reasonably conspicuous location, you are asking for trouble if you play the "what sign" game.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    However, if you have a prosecutor who isn't gun-friendly and the sign was in a reasonably conspicuous location, you are asking for trouble if you play the "what sign" game.
    define "reasonably conspicuous ".... if it aint on the front door at head level, i didnt see it....

if you have to go looking for it, then it aint there..

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I understand the obvious (places illegal to carry), but why would you remove your weapon(s) because of a FL sign (I've not seen one)?
    Signs mean nothing...
    just about every gun shop and gun show i go to is posted as such and i comply with those request as far as other posted areas i may or may not comply thats for me to know and you to find out - and you wont
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Oh come on. If it's concealed properly, who in the world will know anyway. If you are that careless in exposing your firearm, maybe you should rethink carrying one at all. Of course the usual locations like a courthouse, police station, the airport, etc., is a no brainer for not carrying a sidearm.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    Oh come on. If it's concealed properly, who in the world will know anyway.
    Most of us are law abiding citizens and prefer to remain law abiding. It's a principle.

If we don't like an outfit's attitude toward law abiding citizens, we take our business elsewhere.

Now I have to admit that I no longer carefully search for such signs, but I do a quick scan. I will not knowingly violate the law.

Actually the signs are becoming rare, at least where I travel.

As for "if it's properly concealed...", well that's aways relative. I don't carry a mousegun. Yeah, I could put a Keltec .32 in my pants pocket and nobody would ever know....but then I wouldn't feel adequately armed anyway.

Ken

I know of a few local buisnesses that are posted improperly on purpose. They appease the anti gun whackos and the CC folks at the same time. When the sign is at knee level 10 ft from the door, everyone wins!

My 8 year old son and I were walking into a blatently improperly posted business the other day and he seen it. He said in a loud voice that many noticed "Dad, that sign says you cant take your gun in!" I went and cased it and had a little talk with Jr.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Oh come on. If it's concealed properly, who in the world will know anyway. If you are that careless in exposing your firearm, maybe you should rethink carrying one at all.
    Well, let's see. It's illegal? And if you are caught you could lose your license? And that attitude is what the left wing media and Brady Bunch are trying to warn the world about? And that it's not good policy to advocate breaking the law? Other than the foregoing and several other reasons, you might have a good point.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Well, let's see. It's illegal? And if you are caught you could lose your license? And that attitude is what the left wing media and Brady Bunch are trying to warn the world about? And that it's not good policy to advocate breaking the law? Other than the foregoing and several other reasons, you might have a good point.
    Incorrect.

While I agree on being law abiding, carrying into a posted business in Ohio will not "lose your license". It's a misdemeanor and requires to you "knowingly" violate the posting before you are guilty.

(This does not apply to most government buildings and places serving liquor for consumption. Carrying in those places is a felony in Ohio and one could not only lose their license but their ability to ever own a firearm.)

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links