Embarrassment of "Letting One Go"

This is a discussion on Embarrassment of "Letting One Go" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I need to vent .... I was cleaning the Glock the other day. I was sitting at my coffee table, watching Sportscenter and ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment of "Letting One Go"

Embarrassment of "Letting One Go"

Ok, so I need to vent ....

I was cleaning the Glock the other day. I was sitting at my coffee table, watching Sportscenter and a story about my beloved Ravens came on. Easily distracted, I dropped the mag but never cleared the chamber.

I think everyone knows where this is going .... pulled the trigger .... BANG .... I am now guilty of of the murder of my coffee table.

Thankfully, I am uber anal about the direction at which my gun is pointed -- thank you US Army for that training. So damaged other than my pride and coffee table.

I am embarrassed and I know the solution so please go easy on me with the criticism.

I would like to know (since this is basically an anonymous forum) if anyone else has accidentally let one go and their story.

I could use some info for some comfort, knowing I am not the only person on Earth that let one go.

2. Remove Ads

You are not alone! It happened to me many years ago and thankfully nobody was there to witness it and I've never mentioned it to another living soul - until now that is!

I was on the flight line in Vietnam late one night, I had just "cleared" my .50 cal MG and was getting ready to remove it from the window mount and take it back to the armory. While wrestling it out of the mount - I accidentally hit the butterfly trigger. A very nice hole appeared ten feet away in the side of the nearby revetment and the recoil tore the weapon from my grasp and it hit the deck. Nobody showed up so I slinked back to the armory and never said a word!

Thank God I didn't hurt anyone, but from that day forward, I never let myself get comfortable with the idea that a weapon is "cleared"!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

I have never had that happen knock on wood but glad to see another Ravens fan, I am from Maryland!

I see the OP is from Texas, so probably wouldn't have helped even if he had been a Cowboys fan!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Bummer. That hasn't happened to me yet, and I'm getting more anal as I get older and more forgetful.

Now my procedure is only in the basement (nobody underneath me), no TV on, and nobody else in the room to distract me. Then I clean the firearm in a room where there is no ammunition. Muscle reflexes are a bear and it would be too easy to punch a round in with my aging mind wandering.

'Glad you had it pointed in a safe direction.

CenterOfMass - Misfire on a 50 cal! I'm impressed . If you're gonna go, go big! LOL. Thanks for sharing.

You're worried about an ND when you're a Ravens fan?.....in Texas? I think you have bigger problems...

But seriously--it happens....and after it happens, it will change your life...you won't let it happen again.

There are two kinds of gun owners--those who have had an ND....and those who have not had one--yet. It can and will happen to anyone.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Live and learn...
    Thanks for sharing...it's always good to have an important reminder, from someone else's turf.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    ... a story about my beloved Ravens came on.

I think everyone knows where this is going .... pulled the trigger .... BANG .... I am now guilty of of the murder of my coffee table.
    Whew! I thought you were going to say you took out the new 56" flat panel. Look at the bright side. In 200yrs, someone will look at the coffee table and think the flaw adds character.

Good thing you're not a rapid Pittsburgh Pirates fan ... (Just jokin' around, here.)

Thankfully, I am uber anal about the direction at which my gun is pointed -- thank you US Army for that training.
    Each of the four rules is so important.

I've started becoming extremely retentive about using a chamber flag. I've always tried hard to keep live ammo away from the gun when it's going to be opened and fiddled with. But with the chamber flag, there's no question, as its condition can be assessed at a glance.

I would like to know (since this is basically an anonymous forum) if anyone else has accidentally let one go and their story.
    Haven't yet, thankfully. But I know it's coming at some point. So, I focus on the important things, trying to keep the streak intact.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Confessions...

It was August 1974 and I had just finished cleaning my service revolver. I held it down to the floor and dry cycled the action before re-holstering. Then the doorbell rang. I attended to the delivery. I returned to my makeshift office to finish up. I took my .357 Model-28 off the table and held it down to my side to 'dry cycle' the action before re-holstering and boom!

Ok, if you guys didn’t quite catch the culprit, then you should re-read the above paragraph more closely.

Prior to this incident, it was around 1966 and I was visiting my childhood friend at his home. His grandpa was a gunsmith working in the garage. I was fascinated with all those pretty revolvers hanging on the pegboard. We went into the kitchen for lunch and we heard a loud boom! We raced out to the garage as the elderly man sat still on his stool with a shocked expression. There was a stack of mail on the floor. Yes, he essentially did the exact same thing that I would do in 1974.

These days, I’m a lot more careful when dealing with my guns but I will never fully trust myself to chance. I know first hand that ‘Murphy’ and his ‘Law’ is always present around guns.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

[QUOTE=Saber;1590840][I]It was August 1974 and I had just finished cleaning my service revolver. I held it down to the floor and dry cycled the action before re-holstering. Then the doorbell rang. I attended to the delivery. I returned to my makeshift office to finish up. I took my .357 Model-28 off the table and held it down to my side to 'dry cycle' the action before re-holstering and boom!

Ok, if you guys didn’t quite catch the culprit, then you should re-read the above paragraph more closely.

I had to re-read twice but I got it.

I have a friend (Not me, Really not me) truely a friend who was praticing drawing in front of a mirror and let one loose. Scaried him but scaried his wife more.

By the title, I thought you were in line at Wally World PS
    Glad your OK
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

1977, my brother and I both had Colt .25 autos, mine a 1908 lemon squeeze, his an astra model. Anyway I was 19, and old enough to know better, I had the magazine in the gun, and racked the slide to make sure there was no round in the chamber. The gun was pointed at the floor, right in the proximity to where he was sitting, KABOOM... the shot went right between his legs. I got freaked and racked the slide, and once again pulled the trigger to decock the gun, KABOOM, once again right between his thighs. Finally I got enough wits about me to eject the magazine and rack the slide, and put the dang gun down. I carry an auto most of the time, but after that I am even more careful to check them than I am my revolvers, because the screw up is just a brain fart away.

I think the idea of chamber flags is a good idea, I need to order about 2 dozen of them.

The other night I picked up an AK74 that had been in my safe for a few years. Thank god for those long taught lessons to the kids on safety, there was a live round in the chamber , even though there was no magazine in the gun. No one can figure out where that round came from, because it is the normal practice to clear a gun before it goes into the safe... perhaps the last time I shot it I was on morphine from a wreck. Safety is of paramount importance when dealing with firearms.

Thanks for the stories, they are very useful.

Saber,
    in reading different accounts of accidental discharges I have found that, with experienced, careful folks, the problem is often an iterruption in the routine. The doorbell rings, guy leaves the gun then comes back and resumes the routine where he THINKS he left off. He pulls the trigger, and...

A good way to remind ourselves of the dangers in this age of the internet is to do a Google image search of gunshot wounds. Ugly stuff, but it will keep you vigilant.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=HKinNY;1590890]
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    [I]It was August 1974 and I had just finished cleaning my service revolver. I held it down to the floor and dry cycled the action before re-holstering. Then the doorbell rang. I attended to the delivery. I returned to my makeshift office to finish up. I took my .357 Model-28 off the table and held it down to my side to 'dry cycle' the action before re-holstering and boom!

I had to re-read twice but I got it...
    Yes, the step of re-loading was left out on purpose because this is cognitively presumptive (or not), which results in the misstep.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Almost had a similar situation. Would have taken out the China Cabinet. Wife would not have been happy.

I was cleaning my XD45. I got distracted. Thought everything was ready to pull the trigger to release the slide. Something made me hesitate and check one more time. I had drop the mag and done nothing else. There was a round in the chamber! Whew!

Now I ALWAYS check one more time before pulling the trigger.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links