How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hamlet My friends don't tell my business to others. Let's hope...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    My friends don't tell my business to others.
    Let's hope

2. Remove Ads

Mine in these times dig it!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Bark’n we seem to pretty much agree. Though there are some people’s houses I would definitely not carry a gun into. Mainly because of their current situation or employment so I think that is another thing I would consider. Granted i know almost no one anymore that does not live in the city. And yes secretive friends are helpful.

So you leave your weapon in your car when you go inside a home that doesn't approve of handguns? Couple problems here.

Why do they know you have a ccw license and why do they know you are armed? Did you tell someone? Now that you've let the cat out of the bag it's time to make new friends. As for family, if they don't want me armed inside their home than I'm never going to be inside their home.

Being armed during all waking hours is non negotiable. If anyone I know doesn't support the 2nd amendment 100% then I'm not sure how chummy I want to be with them. The 2nd amendment is the only thing that keeps Americans free.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I shoot them. No! Forgive me. I couldn't resist.

When my mother last visited, I didn't carry frequently. She asked that I not carry with her, and I complied (yes, I know... I know). I would have had difficulties keeping it hidden from her, since outings usually involved lunch, and VA law requires open-carry at a good number of restaurants we frequented.

However, if she comes to visit after July 1 of this year, I will be carrying all the time, and unless she asks me, she won't know (I'm not going to lie to her - been there, done that ). But if she asks me to disarm, I will politely tell her no (or something like that LOL).

How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?
    What do you mean exactly? CC is concealed. If you were good at concealing, then there would be nothing to handle. Comprende?

VIP Member
    I don't go around telling anyone I carry anymore, not family or anyone. Not to say I won't ever talk about the subject but I'm very selective as to who I talk to. I've been burned badly in the past for being too open. As for family that doesn't agree with concealed carry, no problem... I never mention or discuss it with them!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I OC a lot so when i CC any family that doesnt like it just thinks i left it at home
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What do you mean exactly? CC is concealed. If you were good at concealing, then there would be nothing to handle. Comprende?
    unless you have friends who LOVE to hug/be hands on and you are carrying appendix (or let alone standard OWB)

then what...?
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    unless you have friends who LOVE to hug/be hands on and you are carrying appendix (or let alone standard OWB)

then what...?
    SmartCarry or ankle carry. Works for me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post

then what...?
    Simple... I got away from all that touchy feely stuff a long time ago.

I don't let friends kids grab or hang all over me and I don't play grabass with other adults.

For those who absolutely have to have a hug... there are right and wrong ways of doing it.

I'm not a stand-offish or snob, but neither am I a flamboyant kind of guy. Merely more reserved.

Yeah, I've known women who love to be hands on... I grew up in an Italian family... But I just maneuver away from it and or give a look that it's not appropriate or wanted.

I don't think anyone thinks any less of me either. At least it's never gotten back to me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
    My family in general is against guns and they just found out I have my permit and carry.Most of my friends aren't into guns and a few don't understand why I carry.
    My mother was almost in tears the other day when she found out. I tried to explain my point but she was to upset so I gave up and will try again today. My girlfriend(soon to be ex) was just as upset and didn't want to hear anything either. The carry issue is not why she is going to be an ex.
    As far as friends they aren't as upset but some don't understand the entire thing but do understand it is my right. What I have told all of them is that when I come to their house to visit I leave the gun in the car. I did this from day 1 just to get in the habit because most of my friends have small kids and I just don't feel right bringing a firearm into their home.
    So my question is how have you handled family and friends that are against guns?
    It's a small problem in my view. If they don't like it, when I visit or see them at their place, I leave it at home or in the car. It's not often that I see them so it's not that big of a deal for me. Were pretty much a weapons family, retired military cop, son in law is Air Force Security Forces, other son in law is Air Force, like weapons, so it's no big deal, but for those it is (small percentage in this family), we leave them at home or in the vehicle secured.

Don't sweat partner, you have only one family, cherish them, you will have plenty of guns in your lifetime if you choose to, but only one family, it's not a hard choice no matter who says different, family wins out everytime.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I have family, friends and associates who are aware of my status as an armed citizen. My g/f is very supportive for which I am very thankful. Her mother, who may have a heart attack if she ever discovered I carried at her house, did agree to be a character reference during my application process (though I doubt she remembers). My place of work (#1) discovered my "situation" when the kindly sheriff called to confirm my employment, stating his name, occupation and reason for calling. Didn't take long for that to spread through the building. I made it no secret of being a CCW holder at job #2 and asked a co-worker to be a character refence for one of my out-of-state applications. Yes, in a bunch of states apparently, you need a fistful or more people (not related) to stamp their name on on application with possible notorization.

I have learned that it is difficult in this particular state to make secret of such thing to the closest of friends and colleagues. Even so, even to those who would never consider the idea, have never given me much grievance.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Handgunner View Post
    I have family, friends and associates who are aware of my status as an armed citizen. My g/f is very supportive for which I am very thankful. Her mother, who may have a heart attack if she ever discovered I carried at her house, did agree to be a character reference during my application process (though I doubt she remembers). My place of work (#1) discovered my "situation" when the kindly sheriff called to confirm my employment, stating his name, occupation and reason for calling. Didn't take long for that to spread through the building. I made it no secret of being a CCW holder at job #2 and asked a co-worker to be a character refence for one of my out-of-state applications. Yes, in a bunch of states apparently, you need a fistful or more people (not related) to stamp their name on on application with possible notorization.

I have learned that it is difficult in this particular state to make secret of such thing to the closest of friends and colleagues. Even so, even to those who would never consider the idea, have never given me much grievance.
    Character references and job verification??!!!!!! Absolutely unbelievable! I'm sooooo glad to live in a state that doesn't require such to get a permit that I shouldn't need in the first place. With the new change in AZ maybe we can all look forward to a truly free country in the not too distant future.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links