How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I havenít read all the replies and maybe someone already mentioned this but I'll add this, Training - take some good defensive pistol training courses; ...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

I havenít read all the replies and maybe someone already mentioned this but I'll add this,

Training - take some good defensive pistol training courses; then when you are talking about this subject to your friends/family (if you choose to do so and really only CLOSE friends and family members ever need to know) you can reference the fact that you have taken the responsibility of carrying a firearm very seriously.

You have gone out of your way to acquire good training, so that if you ever have to resort to lethal force, you are hopefully prepared to the best of your ability.

I think that a lot of friends & family members look different at you when they realize that you are serious about this and have spent your hard earned money and time to get good professional training.

Just a suggestion.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

2. Remove Ads

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    I havenít read all the replies and maybe someone already mentioned this but I'll add this,

Training - take some good defensive pistol training courses; then when you are talking about this subject to your friends/family (if you choose to do so and really only CLOSE friends and family members ever need to know) you can reference the fact that you have taken the responsibility of carrying a firearm very seriously.

You have gone out of your way to acquire good training, so that if you ever have to resort to lethal force, you are hopefully prepared to the best of your ability.

I think that a lot of friends & family members look different at you when they realize that you are serious about this and have spent your hard earned money and time to get good professional training.

Just a suggestion.
    This is excellent advice.

I remember when I was younger and bought a motorcycle, my mom (a nurse) was pretty upset. But I was independent and did what I wanted to do. But I took it seriously, taking training classes, always wearing protective gear, and never drinking while riding. After several decades of never having any serious crashes, at the age of 70, my mom asked me to give her a ride.

I never, ever thought I would see that day, and it was a very nice ride.

The point here is that you act responsibly, and through your actions and attitudes you will prove over time that you're responsible. Attitudes will change.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? Reply to Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Retsupt, that's some great advice. I clicked on this thread title because I just had a family member make a comment that really made me angry yesterday. I was going to start a similar thread...no need now, thanks op. I think your above advice is the most relevant to my personal situation.

Just to explain the comment my brother made: He was just telling me about a lesser visited national park in our state that he would like to visit. Good conversation until I mentioned that going to national parks was tough for us due to the fact that our 2 huskys are always with us. He said "yep, no dogs & no firearms"...seemed proud about the latter part of that statement because he knows I enjoy my shooting. I replied in a non confrontational manner and briefly outlined the new national park rules on firearms. His reply was "I don't know why people fight so hard for that?"...Knowing that this was an argument or heated debate in the making, I just said "lots of people care about their 2nd amendment rights and are willing to stand up for them." This is the part that upset me...his reply...."Yeah, and their all psychos". THIS! Coming from an Air Force Academy Graduate and son of a multi-generational military family including 2 Col. Fighter Pilots? Of all days too, he could have bit his tongue on my BDay at the very least.

I don't think he knows I carry everyday, but he does know I have at least one gun when camping or travelling. He does not own any and could care less. My dad simply said, "let it go". He's right, so is Retsupt. I just hope it doesn't take a few crimes to change his mind....but I'm gonna just let it go.
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, here's one Naval Academy graduate and ex-Navy fighter pilot who agrees with you.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Links