How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hiram25 There was recently a thread on this Forum with a statement from a young lady who had her husband killed in ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    There was recently a thread on this Forum with a statement from a young lady who had her husband killed in front of her at a resturant. She had left her weapon in her vehicle to obey the "NO GUNS" rule of the resturant. Later in that same thread someone posted another video of another young lady who had her Mother & Father killed at a resturant. I looked and that thread appears to have been removed? If you check with one of the moderators they might be able to send it to you. I have never heard our argument put in any better words, or explain our outlook for someone against guns to understand it.
    The thread probably timed out....

Here is the video: YouTube - Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

There was recently a thread on this Forum with a statement from a young lady who had her husband killed in front of her at a resturant. She had left her weapon in her vehicle to obey the "NO GUNS" rule of the resturant. Later in that same thread someone posted another video of another young lady who had her Mother & Father killed at a resturant. I looked and that thread appears to have been removed? If you check with one of the moderators they might be able to send it to you. I have never heard our argument put in any better words, or explain our outlook for someone against guns to understand it.
    the lady whose mother and father were killed, that is Suzanna Hupp. She was at Luby's in Killeen Texas when that guy drove his pickup through the window and shot and killed/wounded a bunch of people.
    She said she left her gun in the car because state law (at the time) didn't allow concealed carry and she didn't want to break the law. That to me is strange because she was driving around with the gun in the car, that violated the same law that she was so concerned about complying with, so what is the difference?? She should of taken the gun into Lubys anyway.
    If she had and if she had shot that guy dead, she would of been a hero, not a criminal. Probably gotten a slap on the hand for the illegal carry .

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let it go...don't attempt to convince 'blood' who are really anti.
    Keep it well concealed and avoid that issue.
    They'll come around after a crime or two...

When it comes to family, friends, or neighbors, I know who is capable of listening...to those I may try to expain the importance of taking self-defense into one's own hands instead of depending upon a cop who is 30 minutes away.
    I agree with this. The carry issue is no different than abortion, religion, politics, etc., etc........Some people cannot and dont want to be converted...let it go. Eventually they will come around...or they won't but you as well as them have to respect each others opinions.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
    My family in general is against guns and they just found out I have my permit and carry.Most of my friends aren't into guns and a few don't understand why I carry.
    My mother was almost in tears the other day when she found out. I tried to explain my point but she was to upset so I gave up and will try again today. My girlfriend(soon to be ex) was just as upset and didn't want to hear anything either. The carry issue is not why she is going to be an ex.
    As far as friends they aren't as upset but some don't understand the entire thing but do understand it is my right. What I have told all of them is that when I come to their house to visit I leave the gun in the car. I did this from day 1 just to get in the habit because most of my friends have small kids and I just don't feel right bringing a firearm into their home.
    So my question is how have you handled family and friends that are against guns?
    I find it better to not have that type of friend. My family is 100% pro gun

Hiram25

Here's the thread you were referring to.

Excellent Video

The woman in the video was Nikki Goeser. She was carrying a gun because she had someone stalking her. She left her gun in the car because of the posted policy at the restaurant and her husband was gunned down by the man who was stalking her.

The link to her video is here Murder witness turns second amendment advocate.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    My wife knows I carry. My two closest friends know I carry. Nobody else knows, or needs to know, or gets told.

Prevents a lot of problems.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

AzB
    My wife knows I carry, (although I bet she doesn't know it's all the time) my boss knows because I thought it would be best. My dad knows, he's a WW2 vet and is the one that taught me to shoot. He also has a CCW. And my nephew knows. He also has a CCW and we occasionally go to the range together.

And I guess a couple of folks at my local gunshop know since they have helped with concealable holsters over the years.

No one else knows. No one else needs to know.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

VIP Member
    Some subjects are best not discussed, especially among family members. Guns is one of them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

knowledge

My wife is cool with my carry as are the people at work (I own my own business) in that my carry is making it safer for them. I am in a profession (psychology and social work) that is very liberal and very anti. So, I have a whole circle of friends who are my shooting friends - NRA, USPSA and my instructional training team. As for the professional element, I attend meetings with them and don't really socialize. Sad to say I feel more at home with the gun folks and they are more like me than my profession. Same goes for family if there is a problem. Most people's mother does not like a lot of the things they do (since this is a family element here we will leave it at that) so what's the big deal. Protect yourself and those you love. That's the bottom line and the rest is just fluff.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

1. If you live on your own, it's nobody's business but yours. They don't have to like it.

2. If anybody asks why you carry, tell them:

• Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
    • Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
    • Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

Protect yourself or don't get protected AT ALL.

My Wife and 3 sons are the only ones that know i cc, except fellow cc er's at work. I have no intention of telling other family members. And have explained to the wife and kids why they need not mention it either(youngest son is 28). If it happens it happens i will deal with it then, and keep it as low key as possible.

KAK
    You probably don't have a family like mine, but I force my opinion down their throats. I tell them you don't wanna argue this with me, you'll loose.

I say if they have a problem with something that I do within my rights, than its completely their problem.

You are probably right most families are different. My family accepts things better when informed, rather than being force fed. I'm the same way.

Several of my friends know I carry (either they are interested in carry, carry themselves, or it comes up in conversation at the bar). Many of my coworkers know I carry (we took the classes together).

My family... my grandfather offers me his pistols. My parents have no issue with me having pistols. I haven't told them I carry yet. I came close, it was brought up at dinner, and my (now) exgirlfriend started to blurt it out. Another instance I went to hug my mum and her hand bumped the pistol. Still not sure how to approach that.

I'm now working on how to introduce the fact I carry to the next girl I date. My ex opened it up quite easy, she brought it up. I may just wait until the girl hugs me, and feels it. Or we have the awkward disarming before we hook up.
    Knowing is half the battle.

My wife is pretty much against guns.......I'm buying her a Taurus 9 shot 22lr ultralight

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links