How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is pretty much against spiders, should i buy her one or two....

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

My wife is pretty much against spiders, should i buy her one or two.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    My wife is pretty much against spiders, should i buy her one or two.
    No.....buy her a gun

I hate it for folks who have to worry about it. My extended family includes 7 CCP holders, 2 of us OC, several OC in cars. Most own guns. Honestly, I'm probably shorting the list of CCP holders. The vast majority of my family are gun owners or at least one owner in the house. I am working on my mom and wife to get CCP's. At the last family gathering there were at least 4 handguns maybe more. We talked about guns. So I'm not so big on the concealed is concealed philosophy.

That said, I wonder if they realize that the police have no duty to protect them from crime per the SCOTUS? I bet they have no idea. SCOTUS has ruled that the only person responsible for an individuals safety is that individual. Some court references here.

Police Have No Duty to Protect Individuals
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'll try to keep it short crankinNM. She didn't really like them in the beginning either. But after going shooting several times she became more comfortable with them. Pistols were hardest for her to accept.

After an incident a couple years ago she thought it might be wise to have a home defense weapon she could handle. So i bought one. Then started using it as my CC. So she says hay what about me. I said get in the truck I take you to a gun store you pick out what you want

We come home with a Ruger SLR. And i tell her how nicely pocket carry it. OOPS I got the stern look with arms crossed look. So i dropped it, for now anyway.
    Patience my man patience.

Quote Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
    My family in general is against guns and they just found out I have my permit and carry.Most of my friends aren't into guns and a few don't understand why I carry.
    My mother was almost in tears the other day when she found out. I tried to explain my point but she was to upset so I gave up and will try again today. My girlfriend(soon to be ex) was just as upset and didn't want to hear anything either. The carry issue is not why she is going to be an ex.
    As far as friends they aren't as upset but some don't understand the entire thing but do understand it is my right. What I have told all of them is that when I come to their house to visit I leave the gun in the car. I did this from day 1 just to get in the habit because most of my friends have small kids and I just don't feel right bringing a firearm into their home.
    So my question is how have you handled family and friends that are against guns?
    Some people simply won't get it, and won't ever attempt to see things from your point of view.

For those, it's better to keep them in the dark on the issue. If they find out, then simply try to change the subject when it comes up.

I'm very lucky in that respect. My friends are all pretty much gun people. I was raised in a family that hunted, and guns were a normal part of our lives. My wife was raised the same way, so I'm blessed there as well. I carried concealed at our wedding at her mother's home, and she knew it. No problems.

One of my sisters has requested my company a few times when she was transporting large sums of money, knowing I'd be armed. So, I'm not only tollerated by my family, but I'm truly appreciated by many of them as well.

I feel for you, and wish you the best of luck in convincing them of your beliefs, but you're probably better off not carrying in their home(s), and avoiding the issue if at all possible.

Daryl

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I only know one person that is "anti" (but he is an avid hunter ), we just don't talk about it.
    Anti-WHAT?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anti-self preservation?
    He hunts with what ,a gun, bow, and he still does not GET it?

I'm confused

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." - Unknown
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The thread is about explaining rationale, not about whether to blab or not. .
    um No. The thread asks how to handle family and friends that don't like you carrying. There are many options beyond explaining.

Option 1- stop carrying
    Option 2- tell them to screw off, and likely not see them or go to their house
    Option 3-For gods sake don't tell anybody else, and lie to your friends/family that you have stopped carrying.
    Option 4-the worst option, try to explain or convert them. You won't convert them. If they are too stupid to defend themselves, or understand you defending yourself, their is nothing you can do about it. They will have to experience violence first hand unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    I don't talk about it. They don't ask. I figure if the situation ever arises when I need to use my weapon in their presence, their arguments will probably end.
    I would say that my family doesn't even know I'm packing most of the time, because I do not give it and it simply does not get the attention. As matter of fact, it is probably best, depending on the ages of your family members, that most do not know or not be reminded that you are CC'ing at that particular moment. For me, it is not a billboard sign, but should the need ever arise to clear leather or draw, it will be like the evening LIVE NEWS on the scene.

Just my thoughts!

Only my dad knows I carry and one of my closest friends have an idea I carry but doesn't know for sure, I was the best man at his wedding. He has a hint that I carry, if he knew for sure he wouldn't be against it because we understand each other very well. We have been friends for about 44 of the 49yrs. that we have been on this earth.

My family (brother, sister, etc) would be generally against it and are sheep. So, I've never mentioned it. They also know me, I'm going to do what I'm going to do, and don't need their acceptance nor their permission on anything. I'm a big boy who will make my own decisions.

My son and grandkids have no issue with it at all. My daughter did not like it but knew she had nothing to say about it , until she became exposed to people in the criminal system, and now she wants to shoot and get a CCL. Her husband carries and so do his parents, so she's surrounded and gotten accustomed to it.

My Ex, didn't like the idea when I carried for work, and so I'm sure she wouldn't like CC. But, she's an EX.... LOL ... so who cares what she thinks.

My recommendation, keep planting "seeds" of thought for them to think about.... examples , reasons, etc on why .... and keep watering them ... they will grow to understand.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Here is how I look at it. If they don't like you carrying to bad. It is your life not theirs. (<not to sound grumpy) I told my dad's cousin who is as far left liberal as you can get. I would rather carry the gun, then carry the burden of my girlfriend being kidnapped, rapped, and killed while with her. That was my example. It wasn't good enough for his narrow views but it works just fine for me.

I don't like that you leave your gun in the car while over others houses. REMEMBER 100% of home invasions HAPPEN at HOME. I just read an article where 7 guys came into a elderly couples house and tore it up. My gun stays with me kids in the house or not. That is not a valid reason to lock it in the car.

Lastly, just remember if you ever do have to use it. You will be the hero and everyone will thank you for having.

(P.S. I don't understand why people think that kids and guns don't mix? I worked at a shooting range at a Scout Camp and those kids ages 11-adult were just fine when it came to safety and gun care. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE EDUCATION, NOT LEGISLATION.)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I must be very fortunate. All of my family, including in-laws, have no issues with guns whatsoever. All of my friends are the same way. Even all of my neighbors. Small town rural country life has its advantages.

My FIL liked my 9mm so much, he bought him one. I took my boss shooting with me and he loved it. I also go shooting with my financial planner. My new next door neighbor proudly showed me his collections and wants to go shooting as well. My insurance agent is an avid gun collector and he said the reason our small town has very little violent crime is because even the BGs know the prevelance of gun ownership in our area. He says they are much more afraid of the average citizen than the police.

It's almost to the point in my area that if you did have to draw on a BG, he'd likely say, "Hey man, nice piece."

I just can't imagine being in a situation where my family and friends were against it. I don't have much advice to offer other than do what you believe to be right and just don't tell anyone.

Take care, and hope it works out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

respect their point of view and leave the gun in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    I have no respect for anyone/anyplace/any orginization that does not value my life.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    nope 100% of Home invasions happen AT HOME
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links