How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spec nope 100% of Home invasions happen AT HOME and i've got a better chance of getting struck by lightening leaving a ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    nope 100% of Home invasions happen AT HOME
    and i've got a better chance of getting struck by lightening leaving a gas station after buying the winning poweball ticket than ever having to use my weapon in self defense.

2. Remove Ads

Fortunately I come from a family that was raised around guns and the shooting sports. My sister-in-law is a bit squeamish when it comes to firearms, but she's never privy to whether, or not, I'm carrying. In fact my own wife doesn't know when I'm carrying half the time. She fortunately enjoys shooting although she does not intend to apply for a CPL. That's her call. She wouldn't hesitate using a firearm to defend herself at home though. She's actually a pretty good shot.
    Join the NRA.

I to have made the decision to carry. My wife is 50/50 on this. She has no solid objection but just doesn't feel the need like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    respect their point of view and leave the gun in the car.
    If their point of view is you shouldn't wear a seatbelt, you wouldn't leave your belt off, would you? Of course not. So, carry the gun concealed, don't print, it's not like they're going to frisk you, right?
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

I don't recall asking them for their advice or their opinions.

They're free to offer them of course, but I can just ignore them, same as I would if they were yacking about anything else.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

and i've got a better chance of getting struck by lightening leaving a gas station after buying the winning poweball ticket than ever having to use my weapon in self defense.
    I'll bet those six women in that Lane Bryant clothing store in Tinley Park, Illinois thought exactly the same thing. There's only one you can ask about it without holding a seance.

Armed bad guys will shoot unarmed victims with monotonous regularity.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Then am I to understand that all the people who HAVE had to use their guns in self defense have in fact been struck by lightning while leaving a gas station after buying the winning powerball ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Then am I to understand that all the people who HAVE had to use their guns in self defense have in fact been struck by lightning while leaving a gas station after buying the winning powerball ticket?
    Most of the people whom I've seen display that attitude labored under the delusion that the police have a legal duty (never mind the ability) to protect you as an individual.

Most of the people whom I've seen say those things were also anti-self-defense, if not outright anti-gun.

My wife shoots, but cant get to the point of carry...I do and she is fine, actually like that I do, I wish she would get to that point herself but Iunderstand and dont push it...what matters is that we respect and understand each others position....and it is ok if we dont like each others position (although not in this case for us)......none of that is failure.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

First of all if anyone has a permit to carry for defensive purposes you should NOT be telling anyone, it is your 'Ace in the Hole'. Do not discuss the issues you know are "taboo" within your family, otherwise live with the consequences of your actions. If someone asks you about it and you don't want to talk about it ask, "why would you ask that question?" This will normally elicit a response as to their agenda. You should be prepared for an answer but don't try to justify your position. Like a child asking a policeman, "why do you carry a gun?" response:
    "to keep you and me safe". Be responsible and don't leave your gun in the car. Why do you have a permit to carry? If your not going to carry, leave it at home in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
    My family in general is against guns and they just found out I have my permit and carry.Most of my friends aren't into guns and a few don't understand why I carry.
    My mother was almost in tears the other day when she found out. I tried to explain my point but she was to upset so I gave up and will try again today. My girlfriend(soon to be ex) was just as upset and didn't want to hear anything either. The carry issue is not why she is going to be an ex.
    As far as friends they aren't as upset but some don't understand the entire thing but do understand it is my right. What I have told all of them is that when I come to their house to visit I leave the gun in the car. I did this from day 1 just to get in the habit because most of my friends have small kids and I just don't feel right bringing a firearm into their home.
    So my question is how have you handled family and friends that are against guns?
    A bit of background first. I am 73 years old and I carry concealed every day - and have done so for a long, long time. What I am about to write may seem a bit harsh and arrogant but it is based on an awful lot of personal experience.

I start with the old axiom, "concealed means concealed"! To me that means that carrying concealed is a highly personal and private activity actvity that I make a choice to do!
    And, as such, it is abslutely nobody's business but my own - nobody's!!!!

In fact, the only people in my personal life that know I carry are my wife and my children. Nobody else (that I know of) knows and, based on that, I carry wherever it is legal. If I carry into a private home I do so and nobody knows that I am carrying. I carry in mass and nobody knows.

My advice to the OP is that he shares his carrying status with nobody else - ever. If they do not know they can't have objections. And, bottom line, few if any, have any right to know my private business.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    My wife shoots, but cant get to the point of carry...I do and she is fine, actually like that I do, I wish she would get to that point herself but Iunderstand and dont push it...what matters is that we respect and understand each others position....and it is ok if we dont like each others position (although not in this case for us)......none of that is failure.
    Tough situation. Keep reminding her how important she is to you, and what it would do to you if something "preventable" happened to her when you were not around to prevent it. Even more so if you have kids, or elderly parents to be responsible for...SHE is their protection when you're not around.

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    I carry in mass and nobody knows.
    I've thought about doing this also, especially after reading an article in a gun magazine (can't remember the magazine, and Googling it isn't working either, way too many sports-type hits) about the recent increase in church shootings.

I'm conflicted about it though. Technically, it's breaking the law here in Michigan, so I don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Most of the people whom I've seen display that attitude labored under the delusion that the police have a legal duty (never mind the ability) to protect you as an individual.

Most of the people whom I've seen say those things were also anti-self-defense, if not outright anti-gun.
    i'm neither anti-self defense nor anti-gun, nor do i belive that the police have the duty to protect me. I own a few weapons and my CWP application is in the mail as we speak. I just happen to be a realist. I don't live in a fantasy world where everyone is out to get me and i'm the only one that can save the world from the darkies and non-believers.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links