How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by n3ss I don't live in a fantasy world where everyone is out to get me and i'm the only one that can ...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    I don't live in a fantasy world where everyone is out to get me and i'm the only one that can save the world from the darkies and non-believers.
    I've never expressed a desire to "save the world" from MYSELF.

Most of the anti-gunners I've talked to on the internet were racists and or religious bigots.

You've done nothing to contradict that experience.

2. Remove Ads

AHSA is out in force on the message boards, pushing the "gun show loophole" hooey and the rest of their agenda of lies. Don't get suckered by them, especially when they try the "infiltrate the tea parties" scam.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    My wife shoots, but cant get to the point of carry...I do and she is fine, actually like that I do, I wish she would get to that point herself but Iunderstand and dont push it...what matters is that we respect and understand each others position....and it is ok if we dont like each others position (although not in this case for us)......none of that is failure.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. My wife bought a pistol last winter for "self defense" while I'm away at work or wherever but she keeps it unloaded and locked away. I've tried to explain that she may as well not even have it but then says it's too dangerous to have lying around. . .
    I have CCH permit and carry as often as possible and she always rolls her eyes whenever she see's me putting my gun on to leave the house.
    Her own cousin is a police officer here in KS and has heard a lot of stories from him about home invasion and other such crimes yet still has complacent attitude about crime and violence.
    In her defense though she was brought up in a house where her parents didn't have guns and my mother in law has stated she does not want me or anybody else to bring a gun into her house concealed or otherwise.
    I have just about given up trying to explain my position on the matter. At least wife is not against guns. Thats one hurdle I don't have to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let it go...don't attempt to convince 'blood' who are really anti.
    Keep it well concealed and avoid that issue.
    They'll come around after a crime or two...

When it comes to family, friends, or neighbors, I know who is capable of listening...to those I may try to expain the importance of taking self-defense into one's own hands instead of depending upon a cop who is 30 minutes away.

+1. exactly. If they don't come around, it's your decsion so they have to live with it. My brother is the biggest anti on the planet. I couldn't care less and he knows better than to bring it up.

It's your life, not theirs.

My sister is very anti-gun so it made for an interesting visit when she came to Houston for Easter.

She wanted to know in what room I kept my guns least she accidentally find her way into said room. She was worried that one of guns might accidentally go off when she was in the room. No amount of explaining convinced her that this is impossible and that only way my guns would fire is if she was holing one and pulled the trigger.

So, I had to lie to her, saying they were all in my closet. Never told her about the Remington 870 that was under her bed nor the Glock that was on my hip everywhere we went that weekend.

Ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I've never expressed a desire to "save the world" from MYSELF.

Most of the anti-gunners I've talked to on the internet were racists and or religious bigots.

You've done nothing to contradict that experience.
    my sig disagrees- i'm far from anti-gun. I'm definitely not a racist nor do i have any problem with religious people as long as they aren't trying legislate or otherwise force their ideas/beleifs on me or my (future) children. I was referrign to the vibe i get from a lot of pro-gun / pro 2a / "gun nut" types.

Find new friends and a new girlfriend.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Find new friends and a new girlfriend.
    +1
    And have done so whenever needed before I was married and I married a woman that understood my role as protector. Its like 4.7 (or some strange fraction) women to every man...the river is full, dip the net again in clear current not the muddy side water of convoluted reason. You have made your decision not to be a statistic and to be accountable for your stand.

Same applies to "friends" who would not take responsibility for the safety of their homes and neighborhoods, of which I and mine are a part, yet they will pay a cop to shoot someone for them or come screaming to my door in the middle of the night...what's that all about? Don't even remember their names now.

But those I have met over the years involved in competition shooting and hunting as well as those neighbors that will back you up and help keep the neighborhood safe have been long lasting in our mutual respect for each other for many years. There are many now I have not seen for a long time but we still call one another to catch up.

As to close relatives, you will have to decide what to do. I will tell you I refused to go unarmed and when that stand was made clear they learned to live with my choice with little problem. I also kept concealed around them in their homes if invited but they always knew I carried.

Short story, its their choice...you have made yours. Although if you think about it they haven't made any choice at all...now have they?
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just show them your concealed carry badge and that should defuse the situation.

now i don't care who you that's funny right there

i still dont' get that folks forget the meaning of concealed and then go blab and tell their friends and their family and their church - concealed get it concealed
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Anti-WHAT?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anti-self preservation?
    He hunts with what ,a gun, bow, and he still does not GET it?

I'm confused
    He hunts with shotguns and bow! He feels that no one should carry in public, own "assault-rifles", or anything that is "not" for hunting, thinks the NRA wants everyone to own "machine-guns"! He is from Baltimore, that should shed a little light about his feelings! I have tried to talk to him but he will never change, so it is never talked about anymore (he is my boss).
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I just happen to be a realist. I don't live in a fantasy world where everyone is out to get me and i'm the only one that can save the world from the darkies and non-believers.
    Ah yes, the "It has not / can not happened to me, ergo it's not real" position.

Reality, or ones perception of it, is a limitation and not the culmination.

What you don't know can fill a book.

Majority of cops go their entire careers never firing one shot (or even drawing their weapon) yet they carry.

Why? Preparation for the unknown. Has nothing to do with paranoia.

Same holds true for the armed citizen.

Respectfully submitted from someone who has seen the business end of a gun during a street robbery.

Concealed is concealed. I just don't make an issue of it. If my gun is "discovered" by hug or lack of my own diligence, (which has only happened a couple of times in about 8 years) I will then agree to their request to either put the gun in the truck or hide it better. The times it has happened, I've explained that I feel responsible for my family's and my own well being and that I carry certain tools to ensure that. The gun is just one of them. It's never been much of an issue in my family.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Ah yes, the "It has not / can not happened to me, ergo it's not real" position.

Reality, or ones perception of it, is a limitation and not the culmination.

What you don't know can fill a book.

Majority of cops go their entire careers never firing one shot (or even drawing their weapon) yet they carry.

Why? Preparation for the unknown. Has nothing to do with paranoia.

Same holds true for the armed citizen.

Respectfully submitted from someone who has seen the business end of a gun during a street robbery.
    coming from someone whose had a knife held to their throat and had their sister attacked (raped) at gun point in the same neighborhood they work in i'd say it can happen to me. my argument is that i'm willing to go 30 minutes without a out of a respect for someone i grew up with. :)

coming from someone whose had a knife held to their throat and had their sister attacked (raped) at gun point in the same neighborhood they work in i'd say it can happen to me. my argument is that i'm willing to go 30 minutes without a out of a respect for someone i grew up with. :)
    So you're justified and others are paranoid (your words). Maybe it's me, but your logic does not appear to linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    He is from Baltimore, that should shed a little light about his feelings!
    Hey now, we're not all bad. My friends back in Baltimore and I often go shooting and they all wish CC was legal in MD.

In fact, if there was ever a town that needed CC it's Baltimore. The entire west side of the city is basically in the hands of the drug trade and citizens there have to rely upon an over worked, under staffed police department for their protection.

If there was ever a wish I wanted fulfilled that was 2A related, it would be the NRA doing what they did in the 60's -- go into the inner cities and form gun clubs with the residents.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links