How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? - Page 9

How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis I tell them that if it truly bothers them that I respect their right to their opinion. If they are uncomfortable ...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I tell them that if it truly bothers them that I respect their right to their opinion. If they are uncomfortable around me while I am carrying please do not come over or invite me to their homes.
    +1
    Michael

i simply just don't say anything to the ones that don't understand...i carry when i head to my moms house but she does not approve of guns so i just don't say i have it....only a select few know i carry mainly because they are interested in doing the same
    -XD45 Service in a Crossbreed Supertuck
    -Ruger LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    why is everyone so opposed to keeping their firearm in their car when they are on someone else’s property that does not want fire arms on it?
    Here's the thing... What are you going to do if you're over at a friends house for a BBQ when they (and you) become victims of a home invasion?

There's a thread up and running right now of a guy who got beat half to death and in critical condition when two couples were having a BBQ on the back deck. The two men (homeowner and guest) got jumped and attacked by 3 thugs when they went outside to turn the steaks. The thugs had come into the back yard to burglarize the homeowners shed. Well guess what? One couple lived there, and the other couple were just visiting...

Of all the peoples houses I go to... friends, family, friends of friends or whoever, I have no idea who in the heck does not want a gun in their house or who doesn't mind because I never ask them.

I also have never had anyone ask me if I'm carrying a gun when I come over for a visit.

To me, people just don't ask that kind of stuff when guests arrive, unless someone for some reason has made an issue of the subject in the first place.

Having a gun in my pocket is no different than having my wallet, pocket knife or condoms in my pocket. None of them are going to be exposed inside someone's house.

It appears that for some people, carrying a gun is a very big deal for them. More than likely they haven't been doing it very long. For me, carrying a gun is just another part of a mundane ordinary daily life.

YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Sorry if this may sound like I'm gloating but I'm not.

My parents (both police) wanted me to carry (not that I was pushed into it anyway)

Most of my family knows that I carry and they are cool with it

About 25% of my friends (who I hang around with often) knows that I carry and is cool with it. One of my friends mother saw my gun while I was getting out of my car (my shirt just flipped up over my gun) one day and asked (in a stern voice) if I had my permit and when I said yes, she didn't get mad.

My parents are very liberal and my friends/family is about 90% liberal

Believe it or not, its my friends that are Republicans that think that I'm paranoid for carrying 24/7 and think that I'm really paranoid for carrying my main gun and a BUG.

As for me, I'm more on the left than right on most issues. SEE not all liberals are bad lol
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

You can't rationalize someone out of a position they didn't rationalize themselves into.

It's Not a Problem Unless You Make It One:

I respect the feelings of friends and family - that it may be based in lack of knowledge about guns is OK too. There's a lot of areas I am not interested in and don't therefore know much about. There's no law that says everyone has to be interested in guns, and know all the ins and outs of safety as it relates to them etc.

So, I'd not make them uncomfortable by wearing in their homes - I've been asked not to do that by a couple of people, it's fine. And no, I don't worry about home invasions any more than I worry about a car plowing into the house, or the gas furnace exploding or that their cat has turned rabid and will bite me.

If they are interested in any info on guns or CCW, I'll explain it, but I have no desire to convert people about this or anything. If they're not interested then fine, we'll talk about other things. Live and let live is my way....

Every day I see my MOM she drills me about carrying a weapon. She bases her rash judgement on the fact I have 2 small children around. Now let me mention that I am a sworn LEO and tried to explain to her that on several occasions I have been personally threatened as well as threats to my family. So I basically explained to her would she rather my children be harmed because I wasn't armed or still feel taking a chance with me carrying is going to harm them? There are just some people who will never let the stigma go of the big bad gun in the hands of the public. The kicker is my Dad was a Cop and he carried whenever he brought me somewhere. My feeling is; if you are going try and make a move on me or mine my family comes first me secondary!
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
    My family in general is against guns and they just found out I have my permit and carry.Most of my friends aren't into guns and a few don't understand why I carry.
    My mother was almost in tears the other day when she found out. I tried to explain my point but she was to upset so I gave up and will try again today. My girlfriend(soon to be ex) was just as upset and didn't want to hear anything either. The carry issue is not why she is going to be an ex.
    As far as friends they aren't as upset but some don't understand the entire thing but do understand it is my right. What I have told all of them is that when I come to their house to visit I leave the gun in the car. I did this from day 1 just to get in the habit because most of my friends have small kids and I just don't feel right bringing a firearm into their home.
    So my question is how have you handled family and friends that are against guns?
    Ignore it, let it go. It is not worth the effort to waste energy or time.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post

As for me, I'm more on the left than right on most issues. SEE not all liberals are bad lol
    Not everyone here sees the world in black and white.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Oh well let it be.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Now let me mention that I am a sworn LEO and tried to explain to her that on several occasions I have been personally threatened as well as threats to my family.
    WOW - if it's like that for you, just imagine what us regular joes must go through (to convince "doubters" of our need to carry!) You must be tempted to tell her, "I'm a cop; cops carry. End of story."

Anyway thanks for your service; IMO LEOs don't get enough credit, and have to put up with too much crap.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Not everyone here sees the world in black and white.
    No doubt - it's all shades of gray. All you can do is try to stay true to what you know is right, and keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Sorry if this may sound like I'm gloating but I'm not.

My parents (both police) wanted me to carry (not that I was pushed into it anyway)
    Sometimes gloating is okay, in moderation. Sounds like you have good reason anyhow. LEO parents must give you a unique perspective.

Believe it or not, its my friends that are Republicans that think that I'm paranoid for carrying 24/7 and think that I'm really paranoid for carrying my main gun and a BUG.
    Now that just ain't right! I mean, Right! Right? My experience has always been the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock626 View Post
    Show your mom this: YouTube - Why I CARRY a GUN

I thought this was filled with great reasons and help others realize why people choose to carry.
    That was good. Love the animation.

You can find a case of almost anything out there. Personally if a person does not want it there, on their property and you don’t feel like respecting that, why are you friends with them? Honestly I do not advocate asking everyone if it is ok to bring a firearm in, but if they state at some point that they do not want a gun in the house I would not bring one. I am shore that they would appreciate the same curtsy if you were on their property and did not want some activity taking place.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Links