How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family in general is against guns and they just found out I have my permit and carry.Most of my friends aren't into guns and ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

How do you handle family and friends that don't like you carry?

My family in general is against guns and they just found out I have my permit and carry.Most of my friends aren't into guns and a few don't understand why I carry.
    My mother was almost in tears the other day when she found out. I tried to explain my point but she was to upset so I gave up and will try again today. My girlfriend(soon to be ex) was just as upset and didn't want to hear anything either. The carry issue is not why she is going to be an ex.
    As far as friends they aren't as upset but some don't understand the entire thing but do understand it is my right. What I have told all of them is that when I come to their house to visit I leave the gun in the car. I did this from day 1 just to get in the habit because most of my friends have small kids and I just don't feel right bringing a firearm into their home.
    So my question is how have you handled family and friends that are against guns?

2. Remove Ads

Explain to them that you have made a conscious decision to do everything possible to return to your home, safe and sound, each and every time you leave. This is only one of the tools that you use to insure you can keep that standard, just like putting on your seatbelt, or having a fire extinguisher, or carrying car insurance. Let that kind of sink in and move on. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Let it go...don't attempt to convince 'blood' who are really anti.
    Keep it well concealed and avoid that issue.
    They'll come around after a crime or two...

When it comes to family, friends, or neighbors, I know who is capable of listening...to those I may try to expain the importance of taking self-defense into one's own hands instead of depending upon a cop who is 30 minutes away.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I come from a family of mostly liberals who enjoy sniping at anyone who doesn't agree with them. I just don't talk about it, it's easier that way and I very seriously doubt I'll convert any of them. Discretion is the greater part of valour.

Well I come from a good family and it would not be a problem. IF I TOLD THEM. Which I don't, and you shouldn't have.

If I were in your situaiton, and I wouldn't be, I would tell them that I quit carrying. Then I would carry anyway, and carry well concealed.
    And around children is exactly the right place to carry, since they are incapable of defending themselves. Adults should be responsible for their own safety.

If you want to stop having these conversations, STOP telling everyone you know that you carry. You've made a personal decision, keep it that way.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Last (8) Thanksgivings I CC'd at the INLAWS - MIL talking I'd never let anyone
    with a gun in my house, I looked at Paw inlaw ; ) MIL Clueless
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
    So my question is how have you handled family ... that are against guns?
    The ones I suspect are against guns are not aware I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
    So my question is how have you handled ... friends that are against guns?
    I have one old friend who is against guns. We've had several conversations about it, and he is entrenched in his position.

So, I don't discuss guns with him any longer, nor will I visit his home because he would want me to be unarmed. Which I wouldn't be, so I don't go.

When he or his family become victims of crime, which he can't prevent in spite of his strength and machismo, then maybe he'll listen to me.

Just email them some of the stories about CC saving people from car jackings and muggings and hope for the best....JUST DON'T let them convince you that you are somehow strange or odd or paranoid, because they will probably try.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Since it's none of their business I wouldn't worry about it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Just show them your concealed carry badge and that should defuse the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let it go...don't attempt to convince 'blood' who are really anti.
    Keep it well concealed and avoid that issue.
    They'll come around after a crime or two...

When it comes to family, friends, or neighbors, I know who is capable of listening...to those I may try to expain the importance of taking self-defense into one's own hands instead of depending upon a cop who is 30 minutes away.
    Retsupt, that's some great advice. I clicked on this thread title because I just had a family member make a comment that really made me angry yesterday. I was going to start a similar thread...no need now, thanks op. I think your above advice is the most relevant to my personal situation.

Just to explain the comment my brother made: He was just telling me about a lesser visited national park in our state that he would like to visit. Good conversation until I mentioned that going to national parks was tough for us due to the fact that our 2 huskys are always with us. He said "yep, no dogs & no firearms"...seemed proud about the latter part of that statement because he knows I enjoy my shooting. I replied in a non confrontational manner and briefly outlined the new national park rules on firearms. His reply was "I don't know why people fight so hard for that?"...Knowing that this was an argument or heated debate in the making, I just said "lots of people care about their 2nd amendment rights and are willing to stand up for them." This is the part that upset me...his reply...."Yeah, and their all psychos". THIS! Coming from an Air Force Academy Graduate and son of a multi-generational military family including 2 Col. Fighter Pilots? Of all days too, he could have bit his tongue on my BDay at the very least.

I don't think he knows I carry everyday, but he does know I have at least one gun when camping or travelling. He does not own any and could care less. My dad simply said, "let it go". He's right, so is Retsupt. I just hope it doesn't take a few crimes to change his mind....but I'm gonna just let it go.

VIP Member
    As Thumper always say's "Always carry, never tell"

And my own piece of advice , send them to this website and try to bring them into the realm of reality,

The Armed Citizen

Don't push it, if they ask if you are carrying, lie and tell them no.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I don't talk about it. They don't ask. I figure if the situation ever arises when I need to use my weapon in their presence, their arguments will probably end.
    NRA Life Member

first off thanks for so many quick replies.

Let me explain how this came out. I have a cousin that I'm very good friends with and also we have many mutual friends so we go to alot of the same picnics and parties. Well at a party a few weeks ago my cousin was talking to one of my buddies I go shooting with and the converasation came up about shooting at a pistol range. My cousin told the guy he wanted to go with him one day and check it out. To which my buddy said "why doesn't your cousin take you". So my cousin started grilling me about it, so I said I would go with him sometime soon. What I didn't think to say is don't go telling anyone else. He told his brother- who told his father- who told my aunt who you guessed it told my Mother.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links