Leaving in a Car?

This is a discussion on Leaving in a Car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have another question, this one hopefully a bit more...levelheaded, lol! What do you do if you've been carrying that day, and you want to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving in a Car?

Leaving in a Car?

I have another question, this one hopefully a bit more...levelheaded, lol!

What do you do if you've been carrying that day, and you want to enter a premises that doesn't allow a weapon? For example, I volunteer at our local Boy Scout troop as an assistant scout master, but they don't allow weapons at all. I respect that, and knew that going into it, so to abide by their rules, I wish to leave my weapon in the car while I go to the meeting.

Last time I went, I left it in the glove box and remove the magazine, keeping that on me. I don't feel that the glove box or trunk are very secure options (I've had my car broken into some years back and both of those places were trashed), so I was curious as to what everyone here does in a situation like that.

2. Remove Ads

Here's how I lock my weapon in a vehicle:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_...Safe_Incar.htm

Not perfect, but it'll stop a casual theif, unlike a glove box or console. I have four of these, and always have two in each car.

BTW: Welcome!

R&G - thanks. That is pretty nice. I bought a couple of maybe 12" square safes but never could bring myself (or find the space) to drill big holes in the floors of our vehicles to mount them. Given that anybody can steal anything given time and big tools, the safes you posted look good.
    At least it's not like I left my gun in the glovebox so somebody stole it and then used it in a crime. I'm going to order a few....

I use the same on as R&G, they work great. I use the large model so I can store a commander length 1911.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by David III
    R&G - thanks. That is pretty nice. I bought a couple of maybe 12" square safes but never could bring myself (or find the space) to drill big holes in the floors of our vehicles to mount them. Given that anybody can steal anything given time and big tools, the safes you posted look good.
    At least it's not like I left my gun in the glovebox so somebody stole it and then used it in a crime. I'm going to order a few....
    David III, If you do order a car safe or two order them from our missouricarry.com website, they are about the same price but just a little cheaper I think than the one R&G posted. I think that is the same supplier anyway.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Car safes are a great way to go. One of the organizations that I belong to receintly changet their rules to exclude weapons. I will no longer support their ignorance with my presence.

i use a gun cable lock thru the seat structure.
    i have one in every vehicle and the key is on a tether attached to the cable so it can't get lost.
    when i need it i cable the gun up, remove the key to be with me, and off i go.

the spare (*second) key is in my toolbox at home should i lose key no. 1.
    and BTW most, if not all, police stations will give you these cable locks for FREE.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

A cheap, temporary solution

These show my current car solution, with the cable held on by strong u-bolts fastened inside. I will be getting one with a mechanical cypher lock as soon as I can afford it. Meanwhile I have the backup key always on my car's key set.

Usually this thing sets on the floorboard behind passenger seat, where it is handy. Holds two or three handguns.

Eight AAA alkalines once a year, never a failure, hundreds of cycles. I open it when I get in the car, so if the key is ever needed, hopefully it will occur just after leaving the Post Office, not in emergency conditions.

B.
    Attached Images
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

I honestly dont worry about it very much. My G19 is often left in the truck with little worry. I worry more when I have a 1911 left in the truck, but I like my 1911s.

Most of the time if I'm going somewhere that CC isnt allowed, I just have my G19 in thetruck and nothing on my person. And normally, when I'm going somewhere CC isnt allowed, its a one-stop trip, like to the courthouse to pay property tax on something or to pay for a fast driving award certificate.

Angencyman, have you thought about or tired hardwiring that box to your truck? Eight AAs are 12 volts, but I dont know how it would react to the 14.x volts that most vehicles run at. Mine runs closer to 16 due to the frigging huge alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach S
    . And normally, when I'm going somewhere CC isnt allowed, its a one-stop trip, like to the courthouse to pay property tax on something or to pay for a fast driving award certificate.
    Love it!

Angencyman, have you thought about or tired hardwiring that box to your truck? Eight AAs are 12 volts, but I dont know how it would react to the 14.x volts that most vehicles run at. Mine runs closer to 16 due to the frigging huge alternator.
    If I were going to stay with that box, that would be a terrific mod., it even has a jack for the wall-wart P.S. I have promised myself that I WILL get a V-line or something like it with sequential mechanical lock, so as to not be dependent on electronics at all.

Thanks for the input though, cool idea.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock

Not perfect, but it'll stop a casual theif, unlike a glove box or console. I have four of these, and always have two in each car.
    Thanks for the link rock and glock! How long ago did you order and how long did they take to ship? Guess I can shoot them an email...
    RKBA

John

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerjh
    Thanks for the link rock and glock! How long ago did you order and how long did they take to ship? Guess I can shoot them an email...
    I hadn't joined in on this previously because I did not yet have mine. I ordered two at about 5:30 PM last Thursday, June 1 and they came in today. They shipped on morning of June 2 via Priority Mail. That's not bad from Bloomington, MN to Alabama.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Same experience as the Dr.'s - FAST!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    I hadn't joined in on this previously because I did not yet have mine. I ordered two at about 5:30 PM last Thursday, June 1 and they came in today. They shipped on morning of June 2 via Priority Mail. That's not bad from Bloomington, MN to Alabama.
    Thanks for the info! I'm gonna order one or two, just didn't want to order online and pay and everything, then find out they are slow or no longer in business (which has happened to me once, but it was an online store only).
    RKBA

John

I too use this type of cable lock box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock

BTW: Welcome!
    I keep one in each car. They are very handy if you come upon a place you didn't know blocked your right to self protection and you have to go there. I try to avoid those places if possible or never go back.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links