Appropriate stance while ankle carrying?

This is a discussion on Appropriate stance while ankle carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have already mastered my stance while wearing on the right side of my waist. Left foot forward, right hip away from the person I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appropriate stance while ankle carrying?

Appropriate stance while ankle carrying?

I have already mastered my stance while wearing on the right side of my waist. Left foot forward, right hip away from the person I am interacting with so the weapon is not as easily accessible.

But I am confused about my ankle carry stance; when I am at work, interacting with dozens of people per hour and cannot carry on my waist for obvious reasons.

I am right handed, so I carry on my left ankle. In order to draw, I have to have my left foot forward so I can grab the pistol with my right hand .

So what is the right method?
    A. Left foot forward with a good amount of distance so I can just bend my right knee down and draw with my right hand? ( The CON being that the pistol is close to the individual I am interacting with)

B. Right foot forward, protecting the pistol (on my left ankle) from people I am interacting with but would be much harder to draw?

C. Doesn’t really matter because no one is going to see it on my ankle any ways?

If it helps to know: I am a server at a large restaurant, where most (but not all) of the interaction I have with the public is them sitting down at tables.

2. Remove Ads

I've never used an ankle holster, but why not keep it on your right ankle, then you can use the same stance that you're used to?

re

i would never use a ankle holster for primary carry - i find them totally useless for anything other than a backup piece so i can't answer your question - i would think you be better served with a iwb at 5 or 6 oclock if your concerned about having to have access........by the way what are you packing??? maybe a smaller weapon would help
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

VIP Member
    Here is how to do it. Left foot forward, drop right knee to the ground, draw with right hand. While dropping the right knee to the ground, use the left hand to grasp the pant leg and pull upward, clearing the holster and weapon for a clean draw. The right hand grabs the weapon grip and draws.

Also practice drawing when laying on your back. Bring the left knee up to the chest, use the left hand to pull the pant leg up, use the right hand to draw the weapon.

That is how it is done.

Right, I know how to properly draw from the ankle, im talking about stance while talking to some one.

Its a GLOCK 26

is it possible to ankle carry a compact semi-auto pistol? I'm kind of tempted to try and ankle carry my Sig P250 when im at work. My MTAC IWB holster conceals pretty well but given the amount of bending/moving/shaking/lifting/reaching and such I do on a regular basis i'm kind of worried about being made.

sorry for the derailment.

Ive been ankle carrying my glock 26 30 hours per week during my server shifts, since October 09 when I first got licensed

who makes decent ankle carry holsters?

I use the Galco COP Ankle band.

I don't take any combat ready position when talking to my coworkers. I act and stand like a normal person would.

C. Doesn’t really matter because no one is going to see it on my ankle any ways?
    Bingo! Obviously, ankle carry doesn't allow for fast draws and no one is going to be diving at your feet to go for your gun. Proper draw has already been described but I will add that you should drop behind some cover, draw your weapon, then engage.

i would never use a ankle holster for primary carry - i find them totally useless for anything other than a backup piece so i can't answer your question
    For some, ankle carry is the only way to carry well concealed. While it is not my first choice, when I work in the hospital wearing scrubs ankle carry makes sense. Of course, since you've apparently never tried it you may consider that before posting negative comments. There are plenty of situations where ankle carry allows for discreet concealment that might not be possible otherwise.

When I ankle carry I carry a j-frame in a Cobra Gunskin ankle holster.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    Right, I know how to properly draw from the ankle, im talking about stance while talking to some one.

Its a GLOCK 26
    ok, I was not clear on that. Stand normally. If you need to draw in close proximity to an agressor you will have to create time and space, otherwise it will be a hands on, down to the ground fight. As someone else mentioned, try to find cover.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Were I to carry on my ankle, it'd be inside on the left side with a left handed holster so that the grip is forward. The purpose of this is to be able to draw with the weak hand with someone in the guard or even under the mount.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

re

"For some, ankle carry is the only way to carry well concealed. While it is not my first choice, when I work in the hospital wearing scrubs ankle carry makes sense. Of course, since you've apparently never tried it you may consider that before posting negative comments. There are plenty of situations where ankle carry allows for discreet concealment that might not be possible otherwise."

bold assumption my friend.........you know what they say about assumptions.......how i would i form an opinion of them if had i'd have never used one

its just my experience..and my opinion...so before you go being the the post police a ask a few more questions
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post

Its a GLOCK 26
    Not to make fun of you, but what's the matter with simply standing on your two feet like you did before you started ankle-carrying?

I'm not sure I understand the problem.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links