To Keep Reciprocity New Mexico RKBA Needs Your Help.

This is a discussion on To Keep Reciprocity New Mexico RKBA Needs Your Help. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Steve Aikens who is my Partner in Handgunlaw.us lobbies for the RKBA in New Mexico. If you have not heard NM just dropped Utah as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Keep Reciprocity New Mexico RKBA Needs Your Help.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Steve Aikens who is my Partner in Handgunlaw.us lobbies for the RKBA in New Mexico. If you have not heard NM just dropped Utah as a state they honor. From all that I am hearing they may drop a lot of other states. Steve and others who Lobby for RKBA's in NM need our help. Here is the info they need for every state that will honor other states permits/licenses.

Do you have anything that shows which states require you to be a U.S. Citizen to get licensed? If they do not require it, what residency
    requirements do they have? Do they have a Citizenship requirement but offer waivers to certain non-immigrant legal aliens?

Could you please post here the law for your state that shows residency requirements to obtain a permit/License and What I really need is the law quoted or the Alpha/Numeric code for the law in your state. Thank you so much for any help you can give me to help them.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Florida Info

Here's the link;

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2009->Ch0790->Section 06 : flsenate.gov

Sect 790.06 2a

Says;
    Resident and citizen of US OR Permanent Resident per Us Bureau of Citizenship & Immigration.

Hope this helps
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Additional for FL...

The 2009 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
    CRIMES
    Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
    View Entire Chapter
    790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.--

(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older; and

(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

History.--s. 1, ch. 99-132.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    From VA State Police

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308

E. The following persons shall be deemed disqualified from obtaining a permit:

10. An alien other than an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States.
    Hope this helps Gary
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Here is the link to SC.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

VIP Member
    Check my signature line . I am not a US citizen, but Mrs. GB is.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Utah - In getting my Utah license, they asked for proof of citizenship. In my case the specifically asked for "certificate of born abroad to American parents." It was a standard form for incomplete applications with that line highlighted. Took about two weeks after faxing that back to get the license.

I don't believe Alabama requires US Citizenship. Permits are issued by each sheriff and each one can place restrictions on that permit. Section 13A-11-75 of Alabama Code just says county resident.

re

i'm just curious as to why all this flip flopping around about honoring others states permits?? what changes?? once a state decides to honor anothers permit what causes them to revoke?? are these just poltical ploys to appease certain individuals?? i don't follow this alot as i probably should so may sound ignorant but florida's permit is honored by 30 something states - why do the others seem to have such a hard time?? sorry for all the questions but i'd like to be enlightened
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Oklahoma TITLE 21 1290.9

TITLE 21 1290.9

Eligibility

The following requirements shall apply to any person making application to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for a concealed handgun license pursuant to Oklahoma Statutes Title 21, Section 1290.1 et seq. The person must:

be a citizen of the United States;

establish a residency in the State of Oklahoma;

*For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term "residency" shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card and physically resides in this state or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency

be at least 21 years of age;

complete a firearms safety and training course;

demonstrate competence and qualifications with the type of pistol to be carried by the person (21 O. S., Section 1290.14);

submit proof of training and qualification or an exemption for training and qualification (21 O. S., Section 1290.14);

submit the required fee;

complete the application process as provided in 21 O. S., Section 1290.12;

comply in good faith with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I haven't logged on in a while...... so forgive me for not being up to speed.........

Why...... exactly........ is NM not honoring Utah... and why will they eliminate other states? I'm sure it's obvious to you younger gunnies...... but it's not obvious to me.

I have a Colorado permit... and a non-resident Utah permit....... so I assume I'm still good to go in NM via my CO permit.......... right???... We plan to spend a couple of weeks in NM in June. Thanks.........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Fast Draw. Here is what I know. Just home from a long weekend and Steve ask for info.

DPS Press Release
    New Mexico No Longer Recognizes Utah Concealed Carry License
    April 23, 2010
    (505) 827-3361

Santa Fe—Effective immediately New Mexico will no longer recognize concealed carry licenses issued by the State of Utah for the purposes of reciprocity in New Mexico, as the requirements for licensure in Utah do not meet the standards required in New Mexico statute. Rules governing the concealed carrying of weapons and issuance of licenses require that training and other provisions be as stringent or substantially similar to New Mexico requirements.

Questions concerning licenses obtained from Utah by New Mexico residents have made it necessary to reevaluate which states will be recognized as valid in New Mexico.

“We’ve had situations where certain concealed carry instructors in New Mexico solicit clients with the promise that if they train here and obtain a Utah license, which entails significantly less training than does a New Mexico license, it will qualify here,” said Department of Public Safety Secretary John Denko. “This is incorrect, and is nothing less than an effort to circumvent New Mexico concealed carry requirements which are designed to protect the public safety while honoring individual rights under the Second Amendment of the constitution.”

The state will also review the status of eighteen other states currently recognized on an informal basis, with the intent of entering into written agreements with these states to ensure compliance with New Mexico law. These states are: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming.

New Mexico currently has a written reciprocity agreement in place with Texas; the status of this agreement will remain unchanged.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Thanks Gary for the info.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. 6109: Licenses
    [snip]
    (e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    [snip]
    (x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.
    Resident aliens (green card) may be licensed.

Steve and I thank you for your help. Steve has everything he needs now. Thank you again. Now we just have to wait and see what happens in NM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links