Weekend / church camp retreat and other stuff

This is a discussion on Weekend / church camp retreat and other stuff within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may get long. Maybe not "Grady" long, and I do not consider myself near on par with him as far as writing style. So ...

Thread: Weekend / church camp retreat and other stuff

This may get long. Maybe not "Grady" long, and I do not consider myself near on par with him as far as writing style.

So awhile ago I had posted that I was going to attend a men's retreat through my church at a Christian camp. I wasn't sure if they would allow concealed carry, even though they did allow us to bring shotguns for skeet shooting.

We left for camp Friday evening after supper. There where six adults and 5 children. We had borrowed a 14 passenger bus from a Lutheran boys home for the trip. I knew the driver of the bus was into hunting.

We had only driven for about ten minutes when the discussion turned to guns.
    One of the men mentioned that the one member of our group that had elected to bring his own car, had a "very large" 45 caliber.
    He wasn't sure what the make was, although the minister thought it might be a Glock. (It turns out it was an H&K, I'm not sure of the model, but it was a double stack. The owner let me shoot it.)

One of the other members mentioned that he had bought along his 22LR revolver so the boys could shoot it. We also had four shotguns and a single shot 22 rifle.

The owner of the 22 revolver also mentioned that he had an XD40, that he carried. He didn't volunteer if he had it on him. I was polite enough to not ask.
    Since the ice had been broken, I mentioned that I had a 38 Special, and he asked if I had a CPL. I told him yes, and that I had debated about bringing it this weekend.
    I said I had tried to get an answer from the camp about handguns, without success. (In Michigan you cannot carry in a place of worship without permission from the Clergy or person in the charge.)

He said he doubted the camp would have a problem, so I assume he might have been carrying.

We arrived had a great evening session. We were sharing the retreat and educational sessions with a church from Midland. The next day we had several morning services/sessions.
    All were interesting and had a little fun and humor mixed in.

That afternoon several members when skeet shooting/rifle target shooting and the rest of us did some archery, and 3 hours of paint ball.

After the paint ball the member of our church with the H&K 45 wanted to go shoot it. He had been playing paint ball with me. So we headed out to the skeet/rifle area.

We shot about an hour, I tried the 22 revolver, and the 45, plus a member from Midland let me use his 12 gauge fro skeet. Apparently I am better at "Rabbits" than "Birds".

On the way home the topic again turned to guns, and the minister said that he thought concealed carry was a good idea. He said he thought that "we" did it right, meaning either Michigan or the US.
    He is from Canada and just became a US Citizen last year.

I figured this was going to be the best opportunity I was going to get, so I asked him, "So you would allow concealed carry at church?"

He said, "Our church has no bylaws against it, and I would not have a problem at all."
    The other member said that this has already been discussed, implying he had already asked.

So all and all, it was a great day and a half of fellowship, and I carried in church for the first time this morning!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I believe the saying goes something like this, "Seek and ye shall find". Well it seems to me that you sought for an answer and you found it. Sounds like a great retreat, very enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    This may get long. Maybe not "Grady" long

Sounds like a fun time. Events and experiences like that are sadly missing in many young men's lives today.

Glad the pastor doesn't mind you carrying at church.

Maybe you've met a few like-minded guys with whom you can develop your relationships further in the future.

I am a youth pastor and carry everywhere, including church and church functions.
    Jamie

Sounds like you have the makings of a new church shooting club.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links