Defensive Carry banner

New CC Bill in Senate

2K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  paramedic70002 
#1 ·
I heared recently that a new Bill was introduced in the Senate. I belive by a Senator in Va. Anyway the gist of the bill in to make CC permits like DL's, good in all states. Sounds great to me and if it is true we all need to contact our senators and tell them to support this Bill. Anyone heard of this, maybe someone Virgina. Im looking into it myself. I will post anything I find out.

#27 ·
I think that a CCW permit should be treated....

just like your driver's license. Other states have to honor your driver's license so why not other licenses.

I know this probably doesn't have a prayer, but hey, a little wishful thinking doesn't hurt.

The way I look at this, it would not force states that don't have CCW permits for the general public to give their citizens permits. It would just force them to recognize other states permits. The end result , would be the citizens of those states where permits are unavailable or hard to get, would then force their state to change their laws.

That way everybody would be happy & 'States Rights' are upheld.

What will end up being argued will be:

PRO-:hand10: it is like a driver's license & should be recognized.

PRO-:hand10: everywhere permits have been allowed, crime has gone DOWN

PRO-:hand10: permit holders go thru a criminal background check & are law abiding citizens.

CON-:hand1: some states don't have good enough training or background checks, some 'nut' will be running around our streets armed.

CON- :hand1: we will have blood in the streets, it will be like Dodge City.

CON- :hand1: since we don't allow our citizens to carry, out of state persons are SOL.

CON- :hand1: a lot of states don't accept other 'licenses', like for doctors, lawyers,..etc....you have to apply in each state for a license to practice. As such your permit is no good here.

I think you get the idea. It will be fun to watch what 'reasons' the antis will use to stop it.........

"To disarm the people (is) the best and most effective way to enslave them..." - George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debate at 380.

"...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.... Horrid mischief would ensue were [the law-abiding] deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

#28 ·
I have a quick question. Are driver's licenses universally recognized under the "full faith and credit" clause, or is their universal nature because the states chose to universally recognize them? Or as a third possibility I suppose it could be federally mandated as a regulation of "commerce between the several states"?

I have no idea, but this discussion has sparked my curiousity. If anyone knows, I would be interested. Otherwise I suppose I'll have to go look it up myself.:)

All the best,

Joe

#29 ·
With regards to the no carry states having a set of laws adapted for them as stated in the purposed bill. This includes exactly 2 states. And in a year or two I wouldn't be surprised if that number is down to 1. I think Wisconsin was something like 1 or 2 votes away from a veto override on their CCW bill.

Also if the federal government wants to ensure more freedoms I'm all for it. That's what they're there for.

#30 ·
States honor other states' Drivers Licenses because of a "compact", or mutual agreement, signed by all 50 states. Obviously, some states would not sign a CCW compact, because unlike drivers licenses, there are just too many differences between each state's requirements. So, yes, if there were a CCW compact, somebody would lose out on something.
***I recently worked a MVC (motor vehicle crash) in which the driver was a Mexican national. He possessed a Mexican state's drivers license. The officer was unable to check the status of his license, because the Mexicans do not participate with our law enforcement computer networks. Funny how foreign countries can impose their licensing on us, but we can't organize amongst ourselves.
What I think would be a better option is for the USA to offer a national CCW permit. This way, you could have your state rights AND federal rights.
If certain states do not want to honor the federal Second Amendment or their own Constitution's protections, why can't the US kick them out of the union? I'd sign up for that. I bet those states would step to the like quickly before trying to go it alone in the big bad world.
Another "plus" argument for national CCW: A lawyer or doctor cannot work in one state using another state's license, however he has the opportunity to apply for the license in all states. CCW permit holders do not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.