New CC Bill in Senate

New CC Bill in Senate

This is a discussion on New CC Bill in Senate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I heared recently that a new Bill was introduced in the Senate. I belive by a Senator in Va. Anyway the gist of the bill ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CC Bill in Senate

Thumbs up New CC Bill in Senate

I heared recently that a new Bill was introduced in the Senate. I belive by a Senator in Va. Anyway the gist of the bill in to make CC permits like DL's, good in all states. Sounds great to me and if it is true we all need to contact our senators and tell them to support this Bill. Anyone heard of this, maybe someone Virgina. Im looking into it myself. I will post anything I find out.

Haven't heard anything about this but I like the idea...as long as it's a "Full faith and credit" type situation (like DL's) and NOT a federally administered CC license. I personally don't like the idea of a national concealed carry license simply because I think the federal government has too much power as it is (not to mention the fact that the thought of the ATF or FBI running such a program makes my blood run cold).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

would be nice .. Actually i wish our ccw were like DR lic as it is so ya don't have to worry about them coming apart mine is even though its laminated

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Virginia Senator Geogre Allen, former Governor, has indeed introduced legislation that would require all states to honor all permits. Here's a press release from the anti's:
    http://www.gunguys.com/#post-1143
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It would be nice to be able to take my NH permit and carry in MA. I wonder how much support this bill would actually have in the Senate.

It sounds like a great idea. we need to contact our senators about this bill.

Would sure be nice if it were to happen.

VIP Member
    Here is a link to Senator Allen's proposed legislation:

http://allen.senate.gov/public/index...redLegislation

The number is S.3275

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    looks good....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Yes it indeed would be nice if it were to happen. In one of the other forums here, folks have been showing their permits, and I started wondering, why do we have so many different types of permits?? I mean it is nice that each state is different, but you would think that they would come up with something simular. Hoefully we all can contact our senators and urge them to side with this senator and get this passed...
    Eric

There were NO Guns used to take over the flights on 9-11, IT STILL HAPPENED

Wake up Americans - GUN CONTROL - Means WE LOOSE

Lead Moderator
    I'd sure love to see it happen, but figure it stands a snowballs chance in hell. There is that little thing called "State's Rights" that a bill like that would step all over.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member

Contact Your Senators and Representative!

The companion bill in the House is H. R. 4547:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:h.r.04547:

I noted with some concern that the last action on the House version was 16 February 2006, so I sent an email to Mr. Gordon (one of the co-sponsors in the House and my Represenative), the text of which follows:

"Representative Gordon, I am writing to express my sincere gratitude for your co-sponsorship and support of H. R. 4547, the bill to create a National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity law. I have noted with some concern on “Thomas,” however, that the last major action indicated for this bill was its referral to the House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security on 16 February 2006. Has any further action occurred on this bill?

I sincerely believe that concealed carry by law-abiding citizens increases the safety of all Americans, since it reduces the level of confidence with which criminal predators may approach their intended victims. Anecdotal accounts from criminals in prison indicate that they are far more deterred from crime by fear of encountering an armed citizen than they are by fear of encountering law enforcement officers. States which, unlike Tennessee, do not recognize the right of the law-abiding to carry means for self-defense essentially disarm potential victims for criminals and make their criminal activities easier.

Once again, I thank you for your co-sponsorship and support of this important legislation and respectfully request that you continue to do all in your power to make H. R. 4547 and its companion bill, S.3275, the law of the land. Thank you for all of your efforts on behalf of Tennesseans and all Americans!"

I sent similar notes to Senators Alexander and Frist asking them to co-sponsor and support the Senate version and noted who the current twelve co-sponsors are (I think it helps to let members of Congress know that one knows how to track their votes). I also sent a note to Senator Allen thanking him for his sponsorship of this legislation:

"Senator Allen, I am writing to express my sincere gratitude for your authorship of S.3275. I shall be contacting Senators Alexander and Frist to encourage them to co-sponsor this important legislation. As a former resident of Staunton (where both of my sons were born), I maintain an active interest in the affairs of Virginia, and I am very pleased to note that a Virginian is leading the way on this national issue.

Again, thank you for your efforts to safeguard all Americans!"

Please send your thoughts to your members of Congress. November approaches!!

VIP Member

rstickle...

You are correct that states rights will indeed be a problem...I'm not much more hopeful than you are, but perhaps "full faith and credit" can be argued successfully....

Senate Bill Text - FYI all

S 3275 IS

109th CONGRESS

2d Session

S. 3275

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 26, 2006

Mr. ALLEN (for himself, Mr. NELSON of Nebraska, Mr. CRAIG, Mr. INHOFE, Mr. LOTT, Mrs. DOLE, Mr. VITTER, Mr. ENSIGN, Mr. MARTINEZ, Mr. BURR, Mr. CRAPO, Mr. SUNUNU, and Mr. THUNE) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. NATIONAL STANDARD FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS BY NONRESIDENTS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

`Sec. 926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents

`(a) Definition- In this section, the term `another State' means a State other than the State from which a person holds a license or permit described in subsection (b)(2).

`(b) Authorization- Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, and subject to subsection (c), a person may carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce in another State if the person--

`(1) is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm; and

`(2) is carrying a valid license or permit that--

`(A) is issued by a State; and

`(B) permits the person to carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device).

`(c) Licensing-

`(1) IN GENERAL- If another State issues licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, a person may carry a concealed firearm in that State under this section under the same restrictions that apply to the carrying of a concealed firearm by a person to whom that State has issued such a license or permit.

`(2) NO LICENSES BY STATE- Except to the extent expressly permitted by State law, if another State does not issue licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, a person may not carry a concealed firearm in that State under this section--

`(A) in a police station;

`(B) in a public detention facility;

`(C) in a courthouse;

`(D) in a public polling place;

`(E) at a meeting of a State, county, or municipal governing body;

`(F) in a school;

`(G) at a professional or school athletic event not related to firearms;

`(H) in a portion of an establishment licensed by that State to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises; or

`(I) inside the sterile or passenger area of an airport.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents.'.

enjoy

Get er done

I don't know how it will come out but I wrote my Senators about this this morning. I think if you don't try, then you can't complain if nothing happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links