My first time.....

This is a discussion on My first time..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this past weekend, I CCed for the first time. Friday evening for a movie with my wife, and then Saturday while helping my siblings-in-law ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first time.....

My first time.....

So this past weekend, I CCed for the first time. Friday evening for a movie with my wife, and then Saturday while helping my siblings-in-law move out of a very questionable neighborhood in the inner-city of Memphis. The reason for them moving out was because of the harassment by neighbors that led to charges being pressed. My brother-in-law was very, very lucky to get out of the situation he was in a few weeks ago.

I carried a Glock 30, in a crossbreed super-tuck. Friday evening I was a bit nervous, carrying a loaded firearm and all for the first time, and constantly adjusted the jacket I was wearing. (Luckily there was a light drizzle, so it didn't look out of place)

Same carry setup for moving day. This time, I wore the jacket, but had to take it off because of the sweltering humidity that Memphis is known for. I was insanely paranoid that my Glock was showing to the whole neighborhood each time I bent down to put something in a car, or walked up a set of stairs to the door. I found myself adjusting my t-shirt every 30 seconds or so.

Luckily, the day went off without any issues and I don't think my brother and sister-in-law ever noticed I was carrying. (They would have said something)

I know the awkward feelings will dissipate the more I carry, but I just thought that I'd share my first experience. Thanks for listening.

Also, I'd be curious to hear about some of your "First times".

2. Remove Ads

Good for you!

Congrats! At first, you'll be sure everyone can see the outline of your weapon and that every movement flashes it. You will KNOW everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!" The more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it. You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts. You will lean to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to. You will gradually stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place. You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side, and to reach overhead with your weak-side hand. You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend. You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear. You will learn to reach overhead with your weak hand. You will learn to give a little added clearance to your strong side. In short, you will learn.

Carry in Peace

VIP Member
    These days I'm ccing a G30 IWB about 30% of the time ('some sort of gun 100% of the time). For me, it works best @ 4oclock with a heavy cant. I'll tuck it if I don't have a jacket, but it looks a little sloppy, so I usually wear it on occasions when my shirt is out.

The awkwardness will likely convert into a sense of well-being over time.

Welcome to the DC!

Good job!

Getting over the "willies" of a first carry takes time, but all of us here have experienced it. One day you will feel so comfortable that you won't believe you ever were once without.

As Red Green on his show says, "We're all in this together and we're pulling for you!"
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

re

^^^^^ +1 couldn't have said it better myself
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The "nervous" simply fades away.

Best!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Good for you! yea.. Memphis is certainly a place to be carrying in
    Don'y worry; the first time you always feel like you are wearing a big sign on your back. You will get used to it.
    Stay Safe!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good for you! I've noticed that Memphis gets a lot of air time on "48 Hours."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm glad I found a community to bounce CC issues, questions, thoughts, etc. off of.

Congrats on the first time. It is a good feeling. I have not been CC'ing long myself and I'm still learning how to dress around the gun when it comes to my Crossbreed holster.

This weekend when I took my daughter to the mall and I only wore a long blue t-shirt to cover my Glock 27. At one point my daughter was slightly behind me on my strong side and she says I can see your gun and she said it very softly. I told her she could only see it because she knew it was there. I then informed her that most people walk around with blinders on anyways.

The mall was pretty crowded and if someone made me they never said anything and we shopped for a good two hours. The jitters will slowly go away.
    Last edited by WhoWeBePart1; April 26th, 2010 at 07:35 PM.

GM
    Well done!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good work. You'll get used to it. I think if I had carried in the middle of a desert my first time, I'd be convinced the gila monsters were pointing at my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Good for you!

Congrats! At first, you'll be sure everyone can see the outline of your weapon and that every movement flashes it. You will KNOW everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!" The more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it. You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts. You will lean to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to. You will gradually stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place. You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side, and to reach overhead with your weak-side hand. You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend. You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear. You will learn to reach overhead with your weak hand. You will learn to give a little added clearance to your strong side. In short, you will learn.

Carry in Peace
    lovely tips...

After about 50 years carrying weapons, I feel weird without one. You will get used to it, and the feeling is good.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Great......well done. It only gets better!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links