Defensive Carry banner

Iowa is soon shall issue!!!

5K views 71 replies 48 participants last post by  press1280 
#1 ·
Governor Chet Culver said today he’ll sign into law a bill that would set a statewide standard for issuing permits to Iowans who want to carry a concealed weapon. Under current law, Iowa’s 99 county sheriffs get to decide who can and cannot get a concealed weapons permit. The new law will require a permit to be issued, in nearly every case, if the applicant has taken safety courses and hasn’t been convicted of a felony.

During his stop in Mason City today, Culver said he wants to make sure it’s a fair process statewide for those who apply for a permit.

“I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment,” Culver said. “I think we have to level the playing field to make all of the rules universal in terms of concealed weapon permits in all 99 counties and I want to make sure that if people want a concealed weapon permit, and they are eligible for one, that they get one.”

Culver indicated he’ll sign the bill into law on Thursday.

http://www.radioiowa.com/2010/04/26/govern...-bill-into-law/

#39 ·
Congrats Iowa! It's about time. :congrats:

I called his office a week or so ago when they were getting bombarded with calls, and let them know as a next door neighbor, (Missouri) I avoid travel to Iowa for vacations or to visit relatives because I am not allowed to protect myself in their State. The woman made the mistake of saying I could call 911 like most other people do.

I explained that as resident of another State, as a visitor I would be a person who would be constantly in an unfamiliar area and I would very likely not be able to adequately explain my exact location if I ever needed to call 911 on my cell phone.

I told them I see no reason why I should spend my vacation dollars in their State or even visit relatives when I can vacation in another State where I am allowed to protect myself.

She was polite but I don't think she expected my response. She said she would pass my concerns on to the Governor.

#44 ·
I grew up in Iowa. I live in Wisconsin. I have my CC Permit for Utah and Florida. At least now I can feel safe going back home to visit the family, even though I can't legally CC in my HOME state. Fortunately, Jim Doyle, the dictator of WI, is stepping down, and the tide of change may roll through and break us from the notorious bond with Illinois. Please LOBBY FOR WISCONSIN!

#49 ·
Governor Culver Signs Bill Standardizing Weapon Permit Process

DES MOINES – Governor Chet Culver today signed into law Senate File 2379, legislation that standardizes the weapon permit process across Iowa.

Iowa has historically been a “may issue” state, meaning that decisions on whether to issue an individual a permit to carry a weapon were made at the local level at the sheriff’s discretion, with inconsistencies among counties. Senate File 2379 makes Iowa a “shall issue” state in which individuals will be granted weapon permits unless they meet certain criteria for denial.

“I am signing this bill because I believe there doesn’t need to be any conflict between the freedom to carry firearms and public safety,” Governor Culver said during a signing ceremony at the State Capitol. “Instead, I believe that law-abiding citizens who are placed in situations in which their life and property are threatened should be able to protect themselves, and their families. When firearms are used properly by people who are trained in their use, public safety can increase in terms of crime prevention.”

The law does not grant automatic approval of application for permits for people who are likely to be a danger to themselves or their communities, but it provides that Iowans start with an assumption that an application will be approved, with reasonable safeguards for public safety. Sheriffs will be required to deny permits based upon applicants’ previous illegal acts, age restrictions (applicants must be over 21), and to applicants who are likely to commit a violent act with the firearm. People denied a permit under these limitations may appeal their case to an administrative law judge. Applicants for a carry permit must be knowledgeable and trained in firearm safety, and continue to show proficiency in control of the firearm.

“This bill strikes an appropriate balance, recognizing the rights of law-abiding Iowans guaranteed by the Second Amendment and the duty of local law enforcement officers,” Governor Culver said. “We all have a role to play in public safety. I believe this is a good bill that has the potential to keep Iowans safer.”
:schild42:

#51 ·
There are no local restrictions in Iowa as they (restrictions by locality etc.) are prohibited by state law.

724.28 PROHIBITION OF REGULATION BY POLITICAL SUBDIVISIONS.
A political subdivision of the state shall not enact an ordinance
regulating the ownership, possession, legal transfer, lawful
transportation, registration, or licensing of firearms when the
ownership, possession, transfer, or transportation is otherwise
lawful under the laws of this state. An ordinance regulating
firearms in violation of this section existing on or after April 5,
1990, is void.

#56 ·
and to applicants who are likely to commit a violent act with the firearm.
This statement bothers me. It is so open-ended as stated, that without very specific criteria for the determination, it's the perfect excuse for denial.

Besides, I thought you couldn't be punished for as-yet-uncommitted acts.

#60 ·
It's good to see there are some politicians that still support our constitution.

I wish that were true. The liberals here have been pushing this under the rug for years. This legislation has been brought up numerous times before. This time it was actually revived by two Dem's and pushed through in about three weeks.

I am happy with the decision, but they only did it to try and save their arse during the election, not necessarily because they are supporting our constitution or even following the will of the people.

#63 ·
Brady

And one more time the Brady bunch is having a bad weekend. The have lost another one. ahhh shucks, things happen. On to Wisconsin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.