Iowa is soon shall issue!!!

This is a discussion on Iowa is soon shall issue!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Funny - I'd emailed the Gov last week after appeals for support started bubbling up. Then, this morning I called his office. Next thing you ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iowa is soon shall issue!!!

Funny - I'd emailed the Gov last week after appeals for support started bubbling up. Then, this morning I called his office. Next thing you know - he signs it!

Maybe I should start a second career as a lobbyist :-)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Best news I have heard today.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    Funny - I'd emailed the Gov last week after appeals for support started bubbling up. Then, this morning I called his office. Next thing you know - he signs it!

Maybe I should start a second career as a lobbyist :-)
    He hasnt signed it yet. Thursday morning at 9:00 am he will though!!!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    1 more down... 10 more to go :)

once law goes into effect for reciprocity,I can carry anywhere in the midwest except for wisconsin and Illinois one place I've never been in my life and the other place I can circumvent around.I go to family reunions in Iowa and now I can go armed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    This is great news to my cousins. Congrats.

Woo-hoo! Nice to know I'll soon be able to carry in our neighbor to the south!

RevDoug in MN

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    once law goes into effect for reciprocity,I can carry anywhere in the midwest except for wisconsin and Illinois one place I've never been in my life and the other place I can circumvent around.I go to family reunions in Iowa and now I can go armed
    I'm confused by WI carry laws. They have a standing law that any citizen is able to carry, however they only allow Open Carry, and they do not allow a loaded weapon in the car (stupid DNR issue).
    I called the co sheriff when my in-laws live, and he told me that their law applies to all US citizens, not just WI residents. They do NOT, however, allow Concealed Carry.
    Am I missing something, was the sheriff wrong? why do I read that ppl say they cannot carry in WI?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    Will they place restrictions on the license? I imagine that there'd be no restrictions like other shall issue states?
    It'll be like GA's permit-you can openly or concealed carry a pistol with the permit, but ONLY with the permit.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by ricoks View Post

I'm confused by WI carry laws. They have a standing law that any citizen is able to carry, however they only allow Open Carry, and they do not allow a loaded weapon in the car (stupid DNR issue).
    I called the co sheriff when my in-laws live, and he told me that their law applies to all US citizens, not just WI residents. They do NOT, however, allow Concealed Carry.
    Am I missing something, was the sheriff wrong? why do I read that ppl say they cannot carry in WI?
    Thanks
    You can open carry in wi even if you live in another state. You can not open carry in your vehicle. You can not open carry within 1000ft of a school or in goverment buildings and bars. You can not conceal any weapon at anytime in wi. no cc in wi.

Trust me, y'all don't want Culver. He's up for a serious challenge from the previous governor (Branstadt) and needs to look conservative. This guy has done significant damage in the state and I will be glad to see him back practicing law somewhere.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    Governor Chet Culver said today he’ll sign into law a bill that would set a statewide standard for issuing permits to Iowans who want to carry a concealed weapon. Under current law, Iowa’s 99 county sheriffs get to decide who can and cannot get a concealed weapons permit. The new law will require a permit to be issued, in nearly every case, if the applicant has taken safety courses and hasn’t been convicted of a felony.

During his stop in Mason City today, Culver said he wants to make sure it’s a fair process statewide for those who apply for a permit.

“I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment,” Culver said. “I think we have to level the playing field to make all of the rules universal in terms of concealed weapon permits in all 99 counties and I want to make sure that if people want a concealed weapon permit, and they are eligible for one, that they get one.”

Culver indicated he’ll sign the bill into law on Thursday.

http://www.radioiowa.com/2010/04/26/...bill-into-law/
    That sounds very good! However, I wonder what "in nearly every case" implies. The link does not work; here is it again http://www.radioiowa.com/2010/04/26/...bill-into-law/ .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Not to be carrying around a bucket of cold water, but I wouldn't start cheering until the bill is actually signed.

What's so special about Thursday? Isn't that the last day he could sign it before it becomes automatically vetoed? It seems to me that if he were all that strong a supporter of the Second Amendment, he would have signed it the moment it hit his desk.

Being a lame duck, if he reneges at the last minute, he looses nothing.

I sure hope I'm wrong in my skepticism.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I would think Brandstad would sign it,,,,so he needs to do it to prove his "conservative" posture.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links