Defensive Carry banner

Iowa is soon shall issue!!!

4K views 71 replies 48 participants last post by  press1280 
#1 ·
Governor Chet Culver said today he’ll sign into law a bill that would set a statewide standard for issuing permits to Iowans who want to carry a concealed weapon. Under current law, Iowa’s 99 county sheriffs get to decide who can and cannot get a concealed weapons permit. The new law will require a permit to be issued, in nearly every case, if the applicant has taken safety courses and hasn’t been convicted of a felony.

During his stop in Mason City today, Culver said he wants to make sure it’s a fair process statewide for those who apply for a permit.

“I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment,” Culver said. “I think we have to level the playing field to make all of the rules universal in terms of concealed weapon permits in all 99 counties and I want to make sure that if people want a concealed weapon permit, and they are eligible for one, that they get one.”

Culver indicated he’ll sign the bill into law on Thursday.

http://www.radioiowa.com/2010/04/26/govern...-bill-into-law/

#4 ·
Good for Iowa.... when are they going to start recognizing licenses from other states... ??

#8 ·
a little info on 2f 2379 :smile:
•Shall Issue
•Standardized Training
•A 30-day time limit on issuing a permit
•A tight appeals process
•Universal recognition of all out of state permits
•No ability for the Sheriff to record make, model, SN, or ammunition type of any weapon during the permit process
•Removal of all individual Federal disqualifiers, replaced with one sentence
•Permits good for five years

#25 ·
It'll be like GA's permit-you can openly or concealed carry a pistol with the permit, but ONLY with the permit.

#20 ·
once law goes into effect for reciprocity,I can carry anywhere in the midwest except for wisconsin and Illinois one place I've never been in my life and the other place I can circumvent around.I go to family reunions in Iowa and now I can go armed

#24 ·
:confused:

I'm confused by WI carry laws. They have a standing law that any citizen is able to carry, however they only allow Open Carry, and they do not allow a loaded weapon in the car (stupid DNR issue).
I called the co sheriff when my in-laws live, and he told me that their law applies to all US citizens, not just WI residents. They do NOT, however, allow Concealed Carry.
Am I missing something, was the sheriff wrong? why do I read that ppl say they cannot carry in WI? :confused:
Thanks

#27 ·
Trust me, y'all don't want Culver. He's up for a serious challenge from the previous governor (Branstadt) and needs to look conservative. This guy has done significant damage in the state and I will be glad to see him back practicing law somewhere.

#28 ·
Governor Chet Culver said today he’ll sign into law a bill that would set a statewide standard for issuing permits to Iowans who want to carry a concealed weapon. Under current law, Iowa’s 99 county sheriffs get to decide who can and cannot get a concealed weapons permit. The new law will require a permit to be issued, in nearly every case, if the applicant has taken safety courses and hasn’t been convicted of a felony.

During his stop in Mason City today, Culver said he wants to make sure it’s a fair process statewide for those who apply for a permit.

“I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment,” Culver said. “I think we have to level the playing field to make all of the rules universal in terms of concealed weapon permits in all 99 counties and I want to make sure that if people want a concealed weapon permit, and they are eligible for one, that they get one.”

Culver indicated he’ll sign the bill into law on Thursday.

http://www.radioiowa.com/2010/04/26/govern...-bill-into-law/
That sounds very good! However, I wonder what "in nearly every case" implies. The link does not work; here is it again http://www.radioiowa.com/2010/04/26/governor-says-hell-sign-gun-permit-bill-into-law/ .

#29 ·
Not to be carrying around a bucket of cold water, but I wouldn't start cheering until the bill is actually signed.

What's so special about Thursday? Isn't that the last day he could sign it before it becomes automatically vetoed? It seems to me that if he were all that strong a supporter of the Second Amendment, he would have signed it the moment it hit his desk.

Being a lame duck, if he reneges at the last minute, he looses nothing.

I sure hope I'm wrong in my skepticism.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.