Printing

This is a discussion on Printing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all... maybe you can enlighten me. I've carried a handgun almost all my life. Before Missouri was a "shall issue" state, I made sure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing

Printing

Hey all... maybe you can enlighten me. I've carried a handgun almost all my life. Before Missouri was a "shall issue" state, I made sure the gun was concealed really well. We have open carry here but not many do it. I keep my weapon partially concealed but I don't go out of my way, nor do I care if the gun prints. No one I know who carries really doesn't either. I understand some states such as Texas are more strict on having the weapon concealed but I have not heard of anyone getting arrested because their gun prints a little. Is the big printing issue because people feel they have a tactical advantage?
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

2. Remove Ads

Many of us conceal well because the sheeple in states like MN panic at the sight of firearms. Also, states like MN have laws that pretty much allow us to carry on posted property as long as we dont get caught LEGALY. As long as its not a school, post office, federal building, court house, or capitol, concealed is concealed.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

If I'm not mistaken, (and I may be) printing isn't an issue in Texas, as long as the actual, uncovered gun is not displayed. I carry a 3" 1911 (Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II) everywhere the law allows and have no issues printing.

People get worried about printing because:

1. They THINK it's against the law when it isn't.
    2. They don't want hassles with stupid people.
    3. They worry about tactical advantage.

Ohio's an open carry state. "Print", open carry, it's all the same here, LEGAL.

I don't open carry because I don't feel like it. I don't mind other people doing it. In truth, 99% of people won't notice unless you do open carry. "Printing" simply isn't on their radar.

I'm not in the "tactical advantage" school when it comes to open carry. I'm definitely not buying it for "printing" which most people won't notice.

I do my best NOT to print, but if I do, life goes on. It's not illegal to print here in Texas. Most people would notice what it is aren't bothered by it and the ones that would be bothered by it probably wouldn't even notice.

The LEAST of my worries is a "tactical advantage". I hear both sides of this argument, but don't see it being an issue, at least in my life. I think wearing a "photographer's vest" for concealment is more of a give away. The only people that wear those vests are fisherman and people carrying a handgun..... I wouldn't wear one and I am a photographer.

I wear nice pants or jeans with a t-shirt or an untucked button down. Once in a while a suit, but most times not. I carry a Commander or full size 1911 all day, every day.

I understand that concealed means concealed, but some people take this way too far... I'm sure they'll be coming soon!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

printing? only you and another person that carries concealed would notice. i have carried for about 18 years and most people are to caught up in their own bs to even notice me let alone the fact that i am carrying a .45.

Yeah, probably 99% of people aren't going to notice printing at all. Besides being wrapped up in their own worlds, there are so many belt devices like cell phones, leathermans, knives and such that GUN is the last thing in their minds. A couple of weeks ago I had a guy in my store, open carrying some sort of 1911 and I didn't even realize it until he had finished his transaction and turned away from me to leave. He was that comfortable with it that he didn't draw attention to it in any way.

I don't advertise it and carry concealed pretty much 24/7 but at the same time, I'm not some covert agent. Open carry is legal in Georgia, but when I was in Tampa, Florida earlier this month, it was a different story. I was pretty paranoid about checking my shirt each time I got up from a chair or out of my truck. I would hate to live in a state where open carry was illegal since I could get charged with a crime for simply having my shirt ride up a couple inches.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Seems like an over hyped issue here in Texas.

There is a range here in Houston that has done an outstanding job of placing fear in everyone's hearts about printing -- and it's the same range that most Houstonians go to for the CHL.

Having a g/f who's an attorney helps. I have talked to many defense attorney's and prosecutors and one thing is universal. Printing would never see the light of day in a Texas court.

Now that's not to say you get that 1% of LE that has a bur up their you know what who will jack you up for the hell of it.

Thanks for the responses... As I suspected, there's NO tactical advantage and NO one has been arrested or singled out for it. I work in "the hood" and I'm a minority there. They know what's under my T-Shirt, their NOT that stupid. Take your chances...could be a cell phone, could be a boil.... or it COULD be a .45. They always pick another target, cuz I won't be a victim.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

NC is an OC state so it makes it a non issue here as well. I worried about it at first. Usually I could care less lately. I also OC regularly. The only time I really concern myself with printing is if I am in a situation where I really don't want to deal with the questions or unwanted issues.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I lost track of where I posted this before, bear with me if you've seen me post this elsewhere. However in definitions area of the conceal carry law of Texas.
    (3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of
    which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable
    person.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I heard that in FL, printing = jail. Can anyone clear this up for me?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I heard that in FL, printing = jail. Can anyone clear this up for me?
    This is WRONG!
    FL law states the weapon must be concealed from "ordinary view." Out of plain sight. Nowhere in the FL CC regs is printing even mentioned.

I don't get into the printing concerns as most people wouldn't know a covered firearm from a covered cell phone. I don't wear a skin-tight T-shirt over my Glock as that's simply too obvious. But any loose, patterned shirt (such as a Hawaiian or such) over my IWB CC is sufficient to "conceal" the firearm. Someone that might notice a slight buldge may suspect I have a gun, but being as it's out of "ordinary view," that's all they can do. As long as it's covered, they really don't know. Keep 'em guessing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Important for Concealed Carry and prevention of being spotted as having a handgun on your person in my opinion:

I would like to suggest that everyone refer to Massad Ayoob's excellent book "In the Gravest Extreme" an excellent reference for everyone carrying a firearm and:

1. Purchase and use a high quality (as you can afford), comfortable holster AND belt.

2. Carry as much as you can, you need to be comfortable with going around "strapped".

3. Wear correct clothes and holster/belt for your situation that day. Your clothes need to adequately cover/drape over your firearm to achieve maximum concealment (not "printing" as much is practical).

4. Referring to #1-3 above; try to not touch/adjust your holster/firearm as much as possible. Being comfortable will really help in this regard.

5. Of course don't reach for or touch your firearm until the situation deteriorates to the point that deadly force may be needed to neutralize the threat.

6. Referring to #5 above; if necessary pull your firearm in advance putting it concealed in an outer coat pocket, pants pocket, etc. if you feel that a shooting situation may come about. My example (Massad A. wrote about this situation from a personal experience point of view):

If I was going to walk across a dark parking lot wearing a heavy winter coat over my concealment garment and handgun underneath I may discreetly draw and place my handgun in an outer pocket for faster access as a precaution.

7. Don't reach on an overhead shelf with your "strong side" hand, this may lift your concealment garment revealing your firearm.

Finally, i personally feel at ease knowing I am armed and I am thus more relaxed and comfortable with my firearm staying concealed (from experience knowing it has remained concealed in the past).

Just a $.02 from your "Old Uncle Mike". Please no "flames".

Peace Out!

Mike
    NRA Member, Armed Citizen, CC Permit and not a victim, God and Glock willing.

Quote Originally Posted by lwdaniel View Post
    I lost track of where I posted this before, bear with me if you've seen me post this elsewhere. However in definitions area of the conceal carry law of Texas.
    (3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of
    which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable
    person.
    Yup. And that is so vague not a prosecutor in the state would even think about prosecuting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links