How to get comfortable with carrying with a round in the chamber

This is a discussion on How to get comfortable with carrying with a round in the chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I only got my CCW a month or two ago. I go shooting every weekend and feel very comfortable with my firearm a PT ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get comfortable with carrying with a round in the chamber

So I only got my CCW a month or two ago. I go shooting every weekend and feel very comfortable with my firearm a PT 111 Pro. It has a manual safety.
    What I cant seem to get comfortable with is having "one in the hole" while I carry. It's a huge responsibility and I not only dont want to be discovered Carrying, I really dont want an ND.
    For those of you with more experience how did you get over this?
    I just for the first time put the gun in the digital safe next to my bed locked, loaded, and safety on.
    Did you carry to the range first?
    Or just in your house?
    Or plunge into carrying all the time immediately?

I am a newbie so be kind.

I plunged into carrying all the time, immediately. I've only had my permit for about a month as well. I just figured a gun isn't really a gun unless there's one in the chamber. Being new to carry, even with practice, I don't need to be spending extra seconds chambering a round. That's just my take on it.

More than anything else - get more "cockpit time" with your gun. Nothing will put you at ease faster than gaining confidence with handling your gun [safely] for all maneuvers.

One thing I recommend especially for people such as you is to only load 3 or 4 rounds at a time when at the range, so you are forced to practice reloading. You do have a couple of spare mags, right? You need at least 3 or 4 for a carry piece, so one poor mag doesn't take all the abuse. So instead of loading up 12 rounds in one mag, put 4 in each of 3 mags. Don't rush the mag change, just do it right. Do this enough, and a) you get used to reloading without fumbling, and b) you get extra practice chambering a round and generally handling the gun to do more than just press the trigger.

Another thing: Would you be equally nervous carrying a fully-loaded revolver? Most people accept that but get nervous around autoloading pistols. I have a PT111 and two Taurus 85s, and trust me - the trigger on the PT111 is about the same weight and probably a longer pull than that on the snubs! Unlike a single action auto like the 1911, or even a Glock, your Taurus is simply incapable of being fired without a long, deliberate trigger pull. Plus you have the manual safety to disengage before firing. It ain't about to go off by itself!

Hope this helps!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Just start slow, you'll probably get used to it. With a manual safety, it's pretty safe, I'm still trying to get used to carrying my Kahr hot with no safety.

Start out with short outings, where you don't have to carry for hours and hours. Pretty soon you'll get less anxious.

Are you ok with carrying a revolver loaded up 100%? If so, the auto is really the same.

Thank you Smitty for that advice. I will get another couple mags. i am trying to put as much time at the range as I can. We have hit the range the last 4 of 5 weekends usually shooting 50-100 rounds. Ive been buying up as much 9mm luger as I can so I can get regular practice.
    I think thats a great idea to load three or four rounds per mag to get more comfortable.
    Any other advice is welcome.

I bought a M&P9 Pro Series a year ago, got my permit to carry in Janurary. I have a large enough frame to conceal the pro series and only went out once or twice without a chambered round. I ended up feeling uncomfortable knowing I would have to rack the slide in order to defend myself. I just got a M&P45c today that I will also be carrying chambered. Safety guidelines tell you to never load your gun(chamber) until ready to use, well when you are carrying you should always be ready to use.

The fact that you're concerned about it shows that you are conscientious and responsible. You will get used to the idea over time. I was a bit more concerned with my 1911 in condition one at first than I was with my P94, but with time it faded. The idea of having one in the chamber prevents me from being complacent and forces me to practice and to be intimately familiar with my firearm.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    ... Are you ok with carrying a revolver loaded up 100%? If so, the auto is really the same.
    ^This^ was my line of thinking. For some irrational reason, I wasn't comfortable with carrying my XDM with one in the pipe, but it wasn't a problem when carrying my snubbie. It wasn't until I realized...and I know this sounds stupid...its the same thing. A revolver ALWAYS has one in the pipe when its fully loaded, and I was perfectly fine with carrying it that way. Once I thought about it that way, it wasn't an issue at all when carrying the Springfield.

Everyone is right about training and time with the weapon though. As soon as you trust yourself enough, and feel comfortable enough with the weapon, it won't be an issue.

When I first got my CCW about 13 years ago, I carried Glock with no round in the chamber. I wasn't comfortable with the gun having no safety. After a week of carrying, I realized that the trigger never went "off".

Get a good holster to cover the trigger and practice drawing A LOT. Your finger should not be on the trigger at all when you draw. Do this a few hundred times until it's drilled in your head. Then you'll realize that carrying with a round in the chamber is safe.

Another thing to think about is if you'll actually have the time to draw and rack the slide if you ever need it. You may not even have a free hand to do it or be on the ground with someone on top of you.

I carried concealed around my own property and in my home pretty much all the time during the 30 day period I was waiting for my permit. Being that I am the most comfortable at home, It gave me a chance to get the feel for the gun. It also got me used to doing certain tasks without being in public. It gave me a chance to buy some holsters and perfect my carry method too.

Most of all, it got me used to a glock with a chambered round on my hip!
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    to build your confidence: first off--You need a QUALITY holster

1. with NO magazine in the weapon, rack the slide back and take the safety OFF.

2. Insert a magazine with live rounds but DO NOT chamber: This way, if anything happens you still have a loaded weapon and would only need to rack the slide to be ready to fire.

3. Carry in this manner (NO round in the chamber, weapon cocked, safety OFF, magazine inserted)

4. After a couple of weeks of carrying like this, I think that you will find that even with the weapon cocked and safety off, you will have had no dry-fire Accidental Discharges. This should build your confidence to the point tht you can comfortably carry a round in the chamber with the safety ON.

Hope this helps..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I have gotten a good leather iwb from Don Hume. It has a thumstrap retention band which is exactly what I wanted.
    I have started making small excursions, with no round chambered And safety on to get used to it. And carrying in the house with a round chambered and safety on.
    Lots of great advice here. I will be heading to the range again this weekend. I will try and find some more mags before then.

I carry a Glock 19 all the time. No safety so the most important thing is.......TRIGGER FINGER DISCIPLINE!!!!! Never, ever, ever, never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to use it.

Unload the gun. Double check then triple check that it's unloaded. Then practice drawing your weapon with the trigger finger ending up resting on the frame just above the trigger area. The only way for the gun to go off, as long as it's drop safe, is to pull the trigger. So train yourself to stay away from the trigger until you need it. I started off with a Serpa, and the trigger finger placement translates well to my other holsters.

If you need pics, check the banner at the top of the page. Once you are confident you will not automatically pull the trigger at the wrong time you should get more confidence in carrying chambered.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It's all about that good holster. The holster prevents the trigger from being depressed, and that is what keeps it from firing on your hip. There are no ND's in the holster that don't involve a fouled trigger. It's playing with the trigger that causes the issue! So the more you carry it, the more you'll realize that the gun won't go off by itself and that having one in the pipe is reasonable and required. The BG is not going to wait for you to chamber a round when you draw your weapon, so you better be ready to go.

Now that said, I just started carrying a 1911 a few weeks ago, and I am being a bit paranoid to make sure the safety is still on and I haven't gone from condition 1 to condition 0. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

In the movie Blackhawk Down (I don't have this exactly right dialog wise, but I think you will get the point):

Capt. (Rangers) to Sgt. "Hoot" (Delta Force), That's a loaded weapon Sarn't, weapons are supposed to be unloaded and on safety at all times. "Hoot" to Capt. (Wiggles trigger finger in Capt's face) "This is my safety Sir"....

My point, "One up the pipe, Cocked and Locked" otherwise you just have an expensive "club" in a holster. If you don't want to carry ready to shoot with all safety devices (Including your "trigger" and other fingers) engaged, don't bother with a CCP and weapon, just get a nice sap or billy club and save yourself the time and money.

Here's a simple example; why carrying without a round up the "pipe" is a BAD idea. I was at the range this very afternoon and my fingers slipped on the slide while I was chambering the first round in my Glock 33 (I had it pointed downrange of course), what if I had been in a "shooting situation"? Lucky I know first aid, I'm likely to be shot before I can try to "rack" the slide again and fire! This happened without me being in a stressful situation, there is even a greater likely hood of doing this under stress!

Anyway, my $.02 for what it's worth, use a grain of salt and all...

Peace Out!

Mike

NRA member, Armed Citizen, CCP Holder, Competition Shooter, Hunter and most importantly a Patriot.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links