School Project

School Project

This is a discussion on School Project within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whats going on everyone? Just thought I share some things I've been doing in school. I'm a marketing major in my junior year of college. ...

Thread: School Project

School Project

Whats going on everyone? Just thought I share some things I've been doing in school. I'm a marketing major in my junior year of college. Currently one of my classes is business ethics. Our second presentation of the semester we had to select a real world case and with a minimum of ten sources compile enough material for a ten minute presentation. So, I figured why not do something I love best and be able to share my passion with the class. When I got my topic approved by my teacher her words were, "thats exactly what we need, guns in the workplace but I'll listen to any argument with evidence." So I used the weyerhauser case in valiant, oklahoma as a basis. Twelve employees were found after a canine sweep of the parking lot turned up guns in vehicles, many which were hunting or utilitarian firearms used on a farm. From there I just kind of ran with it. My proposition, allowing concealed permit carriers to carry in the workplace. I disproved myths such as intimidation by showing a video of someone carrying concealed and one could not see them carrying. As well as statisics from my state of north carolina showing exactly how many permits were approved and revoked since 1995. Then a few tidbits at the end to keep in mind. As well as explaining the overall decline of workplace violence but increase of active shooters.

My presentation was warmly accepted. Many of my classmates said I was the only person presenting that held their attention the entire presentation. They also said my professor was extremely interested and I received a grade of 99. I'm am going to try and upload the powerpoint. Bear in mind, the powerpoint is simply an outline of my general thoughts and ideas I wanted to cover. I used it as a guide and expounded upon each idea. Tell me what you all think. It has been an opportunity to invite several classmates to the range and educate them on the laws as well.

*I had to upload the ppt slides in a video format. There is a slide with a rectangle with an x through it. That slide was a video of someone demonstrating a crossbreed supertuck. Showing how a properly concealed gun can not be seen easily.
    Attached Files

Donald

From what I can tell it looks good. Your comments durring the presentation are a big part of how others received the information also.

John
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Excellent presentation! I would have loved to hear your full presentation on this. Might I ask which school? I went to UNC, and I know the area is rampant with anti-gun ideals, as compared to say NC State.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Quote Originally Posted by uncballzer View Post
    Excellent presentation! I would have loved to hear your full presentation on this. Might I ask which school? I went to UNC, and I know the area is rampant with anti-gun ideals, as compared to say NC State.
    I'm a big tarheel fan, my mother graduated from Carolina. It was actually my first choice but NCCU down the road gave me a full ride, so it was a go where the money was thing. It all equates out to me pretty much pocketing money to go to school. Considering applying there for law school though, depends on LSAT scores. Yes, state is an entirely different environment. I have several friends that attend there.

Yeah, definitely different demographics between the two student bodies, and even more different when you consider that "other," private school between us. Hopefully your presentation got some of our other future leaders heads a thinking, cause we've got way too many restrictions as it is in NC. Congrats on the high grade, and good luck getting into law school. Not sure what year you are, but I'm finishing med school now, and I would love to be back at UNC doing undergrad all over again, so be sure to enjoy these years!!!
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Finishing up my third year. That "other" private school between us, is my place of employment. I work at the hospital as a valet. Although, I must admit there law school is number ten in the country and I think they may be number one on my list at the moment. I'll still cheer for the tarheels even if I were to attend there. NC laws are so convoluted it is rediculous. Hopefully, we can see some attempts in the coming years to modernize our concealed carry laws. Possibly some that are similar to the laws Virginia just passed.

Great job on your school project. Congratulations!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Good Job, from a Durham, NC-born and raised, current Texan.

Way to go! In addition to the 99 it looks like you influenced some folks in the right direction. Isn't it funny how logic wins out over anti-gun emotion...heh.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Thanks for the kind words. Its been an opportunity to educate several of my classmates about concealed carry and firearm laws in our state. Hopefully, I'll be taking several of them to the range sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuggin1 View Post
    Whats going on everyone? Just thought I share some things I've been doing in school. I'm a marketing major in my junior year of college. Currently one of my classes is business ethics. Our second presentation of the semester we had to select a real world case and with a minimum of ten sources compile enough material for a ten minute presentation. So, I figured why not do something I love best and be able to share my passion with the class. When I got my topic approved by my teacher her words were, "thats exactly what we need, guns in the workplace but I'll listen to any argument with evidence." So I used the weyerhauser case in valiant, oklahoma as a basis. Twelve employees were found after a canine sweep of the parking lot turned up guns in vehicles, many which were hunting or utilitarian firearms used on a farm. From there I just kind of ran with it. My proposition, allowing concealed permit carriers to carry in the workplace. I disproved myths such as intimidation by showing a video of someone carrying concealed and one could not see them carrying. As well as statisics from my state of north carolina showing exactly how many permits were approved and revoked since 1995. Then a few tidbits at the end to keep in mind. As well as explaining the overall decline of workplace violence but increase of active shooters.

My presentation was warmly accepted. Many of my classmates said I was the only person presenting that held their attention the entire presentation. They also said my professor was extremely interested and I received a grade of 99. I'm am going to try and upload the powerpoint. Bear in mind, the powerpoint is simply an outline of my general thoughts and ideas I wanted to cover. I used it as a guide and expounded upon each idea. Tell me what you all think. It has been an opportunity to invite several classmates to the range and educate them on the laws as well.

*I had to upload the ppt slides in a video format. There is a slide with a rectangle with an x through it. That slide was a video of someone demonstrating a crossbreed supertuck. Showing how a properly concealed gun can not be seen easily.
    Hey can you send me that power point to my email address? pmerioles@gmail.com

Thanks...as a teacher I need any evidence to argue my point to my colleagues.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    Hey can you send me that power point to my email address? pmerioles@gmail.com

Thanks...as a teacher I need any evidence to argue my point to my colleagues.

Paul
    It has been sent.

Sponsored Links