My Father had a interesting point about CCW permits

This is a discussion on My Father had a interesting point about CCW permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I was talking with my Dad and the subject of guns came up. He's pro-2A, but doesn't understand why I want a concealed carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey, I was talking with my Dad and the subject of guns came up. He's pro-2A, but doesn't understand why I want a concealed carry permit because I'm single and I don't have anyone to protect (besides myself) and we live in a city with very little crime.

I told him that I originally became interested in getting a CCW because it would allow me to skip the background check when I purchased guns and that I thought I was worth protecting on my own, but I could also wind up in a mass shooting and end up saving others. I like shooting as a hobby and I'm gonna have guns anyway, why not go ahead and get the CCW? I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

Anyway, the point of this thread is he told me that by getting a CCW the Government would know I had guns and would be able to track me down and confiscate them if they passed a ban. Do you think this is true?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

The "Gubmint" knows you have them through the FBI/BATF background checks. A CCDW actually identifies you as a statistical "Goodguy".

Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

Go to the above site, and find out what it means to have one statistically. You're in good company!

I wouldn't worry about anyone "coming to collect" anytime soon. The current administration has actually surprised me with the recent freedoms granted to us gun-totin' folks (Amtrak, National Parks, etc.).

Not to mention that the Firearm Market was about the only Recession-Proof business in America for awhile there...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I know that CCW holders are statistically "good guys." I was just wondering if he was right and they could use it to track you down. I'm still getting mine, just wondered.
    Ron Paul 2012

Guns? Oh, those Guns.

I sold 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Guns? Oh, those Guns.

I sold 'em.

They were all lost in a tragic boating accident.

Make him a tinfoil hat.....obviously, he needs one.

I suppose in theory he's correct.

On the other hand "they" can look at the number of permits and think to themselves, "Holy Fudge. Look at all those people who got guns. Maybe we better leave them alone."
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Guns? Oh, those Guns.

I sold 'em.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    Make him a tinfoil hat.....obviously, he needs one.
    No, he doesn't. He's not paranoid about them busting down my door and taking my guns, he was just countering my point about it making it easier for me to buy guns.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I suppose in theory he's correct.

On the other hand "they" can look at the number of permits and think to themselves, "Holy Fudge. Look at all those people who got guns. Maybe we better leave them alone."
    Yeah, lol, I suppose so.
    Ron Paul 2012

From the cited reference:

Fact: Every day, 550 rapes,
    1,100 murders, and 5,200
    other violent crimes are
    prevented just by showing a gun. In less than 0.9% of these instances is the gun ever
    actually fired.171

170 National Crime Victimization Survey, 2000, Bureau of Justice Statistics, BATF estimates on handgun
    supply
    171 Ibid
    I tried as hard as I could to locate any section in this report that purported to get into the minutia of the thwarting of crimes by weapon type, however, such a breakdown does not seem to exist.

I have heard this same argument for not joining the NRA or some other some such. One of my friends really pushes for joining the NRA and most of the time in the gun store, here comes “I do not want my name on the list.” He goes, Well are you a hunter? Yes. So you do have a hunting license? Yes. Ok so you are already on a government list. Trust me on this one, if you have a gun and it has “only” been sitting in you sock draw for the last 50 years you are one of the very few who are not on some list.

Sponsor
    "They" know you have guns.
    Ever bought a copy of "The Catcher in the Rye"?

Are you prior or current military? Combat Duty? Not only do they know you have guns, your on a watch list for as a high risk possible terrorist!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

According to table # 66 of the BJS report 5,815,540 violent crimes were committed in 2000.

If you divide that by 365 you get: 15,932 violent crimes per day.

Now if you use the percentages provided by table # 72 of the report, you get 1.1% threatened the attacker with a weapon. In fact, let’s throw in another 1.2% for the percentage of victims who actually attacked the offender with a weapon. That gives us 2.3%.

2.3% of 15,932 = 366 victims per day on average who either threatened or actually used a weapon on the attacker. That’s a huge reduction from the preposterous figure provided in the gunfacts.com report of 6,850 per day. And that’s even assuming all victims used a gun in their defense, when we know the reality is some number would have used knives and impact weapons. 1.1% per day, the figure from the BJS report itself on the subject of threatened use of a weapon by the victim would only be 175 per day. And again that’s even assuming all victims used a gun in their defense.

This analysis of the actual statistics claimed by the gunfacts.com report can only lead me to conclude that their figure of 6,850 attacks per day thwarted by the victim by merely displaying a firearm is a complete fabrication.

DCR
    They can track down any gun you buy/bought at a dealership where they are required to keep records of your purchase. If your state doesn't require nic checks for long guns in a person to person transaction..........

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I really hate the numbers games. How in heck do they ever come up with those stats, and what makes anyone think they're accurate? Reported versus unreported, etc. 80% of people make up 75% of their stats 60% of the time. Prove that wrong.

The only way to NOT be on a "list" is to be born with no birth certificate, never attend school, never get a license of ANY sort, credit card, bank account, SS #, serve in the service, etc. The "list" paranoia gets a bit overwhelming at times.

There. That's my crumudgeon comment of the day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    and we live in a city with very little crime.
    Although I've carried for over 15 years, I used to think that, too...until the guy next door was busted for growing pot in the back yard and subsequently shot by a Sheriff's Deputy while attempting to assault the next door neighbor on the other side AND the responding LEO. This is a quiet, well-established neighborhood, mostly adult, working couples with grown kids.

The caca is hitting the blades in more and more places you'd never expect it. No place is safe, no place is quiet - it could erupt any time - you just never know.

As for the government coming after your guns - +1 to what "CPO 15" said. The sharing of information by the gubmant is hit and miss at best. They can't even keep track of sex offenders, much less handguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links