My LEO experience

This is a discussion on My LEO experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After talking with family and friends about this incident, I felt like I should ask the forum and see what other folks thought about it. ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My LEO experience

My LEO experience

After talking with family and friends about this incident, I felt like I should ask the forum and see what other folks thought about it.

The lead up to this story can be summarized as, situations presented themselves so that I am now driving another family member's car for the next few months. I was pulled over due to a question regarding the car's registration.....

After explaining the situation to the LEO, he was ok with my explanation and wanted to run my license and insurance and then get me on my way. He then asked if I had an weapons in the vehicle or anything that he needed to know about. I told him that I had my gun in the glove box. (PT709 Slim) (concealed permit coming soon...)

He then asked me to put my hands on the steering wheel, while he made his way to the passenger side of my vehicle. He opened the door and then the glove box. Took my gun out. Unloaded it. Then asked me if I would mind if he held on to it for a while. I told him no, and then didn't think again about it. After I was sent on my way, (no ticket , by the way) I re-hashed the story in my mind and I thought about him taking my gun..... He did give it back by the way.

Was he supposed to take it? It makes sense to me. He doesn't want some crazy guy coming out and shooting him up while he runs the insurance.

The reason I'm asking is, some friends and family say they would never let a cop take their gun and that it was an infringement on my right to protect myself, even if he is a LEO.

By the way, after he saw my gun and did all his stuff back in his car. When he came back all he wanted to talk about was how much he liked the size and feel of the Slim....
    Last edited by heritage1865; April 27th, 2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: clear up
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I feel like it is more acceptable for him to take your gun since you are not licensed. You have not been through the finger printing and back ground check to ease his mind about the kind of person you are, or your criminal background.

Keep in mind, at this point in the stop, he had no info on you. For all he knew, you may have been wanted for murder

just my .02.

You were unclear in your story as to whether he kept your gun or returned it to you. I'm assuming he returned it to you, otherwise you would have been a bit more wordy in your post. He obviously was well within his rights as a LEO, In securing your gun. Otherwise it sounds as though he accepted your explanations on any and all questions he asked you. You did not even receive a warning, so sounds like a good stop for you!

As for friends and family stating their opinions on his "holding" your weapon....we all know what "opinions" are like...The bottom line is all went well for you. I'm sure had you raised a ruckus concerning his "holding' your weapon, it might not have ended up as pleasantly. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I personally would not have a huge problem being disarmed by a LEO. After all what are you going to need your gun for while an officer is parked right behind you?

That being said, I have not heard many stories where a someone with a CHL has been disarmed on a "routine traffic stop" (i.e. Where the owner was not carrying multiple handguns).

Assuming the 709 Slim was given back to you (which was never clearly stated), it was an overall good experience with an extremely cautious LEO.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Since, apparently, having a loaded firearm in the glovebox (sans CC permit) is legal in SC, the officer was probably ensuring his own safety, while yours rested in his hands. As long as you got the firearm back, I guess all is well. I think a lot of whether the LEO "detains" your firearm is a matter of discretion.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    I feel like it is more acceptable for him to take your gun since you are not licensed. You have not been through the finger printing and back ground check to ease his mind about the kind of person you are, or your criminal background.
    +1

As long as you got it back, it shouldn't bother you that he held on to it. If you had said no, you would have probably got to sit in the back seat of the patrol car behind the cage, etc. while he checked you out. Not the most pleasant place to be.

Originally posted by heritage1865 He opened the door and then the glove box.
    Officer I do not consent to any searches please get out of my vehicle.

Please explain to me why it's OK for this cop to violate your 4th and 5th amendment rights?

A thug with a shotgun would make most reasonable people believe a life is in danger.
    This is true but how does it have any bearing on the topic at hand?

He was only doing his job by protecting himself. Thats policy.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

VIP Member
    It sounds like a friendly stop to me.

He was only doing his job by protecting himself. Thats policy.
    So, if our OP had a bag of weed in that glove box and the cop found it w/o out asking for permission to search would that have been "just policy" too?

Perhaps you're familiar W/ the following statement?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Just thought I'd point out that the above is the policy and it says it's not OK for the cops to look through your car just because they want to. They'd better have reasonable suspicion based on clearly articulable facts or a warrant or permission

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Officer I do not consent to any searches please get out of my vehicle.

Please explain to me why it's OK for this cop to violate your 4th and 5th amendment rights?
    Because the OP said he was armed, giving the officer reasonable cause to legally search the vehicle for his own safety before proceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    Because the OP said he was armed, giving the officer reasonable cause to legally search the vehicle for his own safety before proceeding.
    What crime did the OP admit to? Would not 'Officer Safety" been better served by taking the OP out of the car?

When did my legal actions become PC for a search of my vehicle?

In Texas an officer has the right to disarm you during a traffic stop even if you do have a permit. I do not know anybody that has experienced this and in most cases the officer won't even ask to see it.
    I would imagine refusing to let him take yours, would result in meeting the business end of his.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links