SC Question

SC Question

This is a discussion on SC Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you CC in a bank in SC?...

Thread: SC Question

Question SC Question

Can you CC in a bank in SC?
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Yes... unless it is properly posted... it is not a specific no carry location otherwise.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Yes... unless it is properly posted... it is not a specific no carry location otherwise.
    +1, no issue if not posted.

And just so you know... here are the two applicable posting sections you will need to know.

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating “No Concealable Weapons Allowed” shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

Reference: http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

Thanks!!!!
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Several banks in my area have posted signs but are not the legal size so I walk right past them.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Just be careful. Some banks are actually federal credit unions and staffed by federal employees. Rare but you should be aware.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Just be careful. Some banks are actually federal credit unions and staffed by federal employees. Rare but you should be aware.
    Somebody feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Federal Credit Unions are actual federal facilities housing federal employees. It simply means that the Credit Union is chartered by the federal government.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Somebody feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Federal Credit Unions are actual federal facilities housing federal employees. It simply means that the Credit Union is chartered by the federal government.
    Gonzo
    You are right.

on that note... make sure you guys deal with south carolina federal credit union. they're pretty awesome

Links