Post-crash LEO Experience (Long and minor)

This is a discussion on Post-crash LEO Experience (Long and minor) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you who live in St. Louis and were junked up by traffic due to an accident on northbound 270 before the 64 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-crash LEO Experience (Long and minor)

Thumbs up Post-crash LEO Experience (Long and minor)

For those of you who live in St. Louis and were junked up by traffic due to an accident on northbound 270 before the 64 exit yesterday evening, you can thank the guy who hit me. The story of the crash and the LEO who responded is below.

Driving home from work last night, traffic backed up very abruptly and I started slowing down pretty quickly, but hadn't stopped yet. I look in my rear view mirror and see a white pick up barreling down on me. I literally said, "Uh oh," and looked back in front, quickly determining that I had given myself enough room in front of me that when he collided, I would be able to turn my steering wheel and go nicely on to the shoulder, leaving the cars in front of me unscathed.

BOOM. He hit me, and my plan worked like a charm. Kept control of the SUV and came to rest on the shoulder, bypassing a few cars that had been in front of me. Had I hit the next car, it would have easily been a 4-6 car wreck. I looked behind and saw that the white pick up had also somehow rolled on to the shoulder. His Chevy Uplander was missing much of its immediate front.

Checked the road to see traffic was largely stopped, and got out of my SUV. The other driver did, too, and we shook hands. I think he was surprised I reached my hand out to his. crap happens in this world, and not every accident has to result in aggression. I asked if he was OK, which he was, and saw there was a bumper in the middle of the road. Figuring it was mine, I said, "Well, I guess we better get that." And he did, and it was then I realized it was the front of his truck, not the back of my SUV. I turned around to look at my SUV, and inspect the damage. Considering the front of his vehicle, I had assumed it would be extensive.

Oddly, the only real damage of my SUV was due to him hitting... my bike rack. I had just installed it a few weeks prior, and hadn't even taken my bike out on it yet. When he hit the bike rack, it bent upwards slightly, and his truck must have rode up it just a little bit. But the bike rack bent inwards, bending my hatch in half and blowing out the glass. There also seems to be minor damage above a taillight, but it's pretty tiny. The blown-out class put glass shards all over the back of my SUV, so that means two new pairs of hockey skates, new hockey gloves, two new baseball gloves, and two new car seats, which, after an accident, cannot be used.

His truck, on the other hand, is likely totaled; my bike rack also crunched in the front half of his truck pretty good, and part of his truck even came off and wrapped around my bike rack, which is still attached on my SUV.

Finally getting to the LEO part, I called 911 to report the accident. Took the LEO about 10 minutes to get there. Shook his hand and gave him both my driver's license and my ID which has the CCW on it, along with my insurance card (which had expired, but the new one was at home). When I said my insurance was good but that I hadn't put the new card in my SUV yet, he said, "Well, I believe you, but it doesn't count unless it's here." So I figured I would at least get a ticket. The LEO looked at my car, looked in the back, where my 5.11 range bag is visible (not to mention I was wearing 5.11 tactical pants.)

He simply took the other guy's information. Told me to go back to my car and wait. Some 10 or so minutes later, he had everything written up. No ticket for me (not sure about the other guy), got a copy of the traffic accident form, and gave me back both IDs and my insurance information. Never once asked about the CCW, any firearms (of which I had two in the vehicle -- one loaded), or the range bag and its contents. Perfectly done by the LEO.
    Last edited by rstickle; April 28th, 2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Language

2. Remove Ads

I had one like that once. I stopped in traffic, then heard tires and brakes squeeling. WHAM!! I got out and found a Ford Pinto station wagon had hit my '69 Mustang. The Pinto was totaled. Bumpers, grill, headlights, radiator, fenders and hood all smashed.

No damage at all to my Mustang. Go figure. I told the other guy I wasn't hurt, so if he wanted to call the cops it was ok with me. He literally begged me not to call them. I figure he didn't have a license. He limped into the gas station there, and I went on.

Oh, to keep this gun related. I crashed my motorcycle once. Gave the responding cop my CHL. He gave it back. Never mentioned the gun or license again.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Glad you are ok, and everything worked out. Hope it won't take too long to get your vehicle repaired.

I've only had one minor accident since I've had my CHL. When the officer got out of his car I handed him my license/CHL, he asked if I was armed (quietly), I responded yes and he just smiled and said well as long as it stays where it is no problem.

Afterward when the other guy left we actually talked for about 5 minutes about my carry piece, how he supports CC etc.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Glad you're ok! Its nice to see someone not flip out on the other driver after an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    The blown-out class put glass shards all over the back of my SUV, so that means two new pairs of hockey skates, new hockey gloves, two new baseball gloves, and two new car seats, which, after an accident, cannot be used.
    Why can't you use any of the equipment? I'll gladly take the hockey gear, I own a vacuum.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post

Why can't you use any of the equipment? I'll gladly take the hockey gear, I own a vacuum.
    Agreed. No need to discard that stuff.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    Pretty sure he was talking about the Car Seats (child seats I assume). They can't be used again after a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    yeah if hes got a decent pair of bauers or CCM in size 9-9.5D i'll find a away to get the glass out. ;)

i'll take the glvoes too. lol

Car Seat

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Pretty sure he was talking about the Car Seats (child seats I assume). They can't be used again after a crash.
    The NHTSA has some guidelines for using carseats after a crash:
    NHTSA: Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes

You should also contact your car dealer after a crash, as it is very likely that the seatbelts, LATCH/tether anchors and integrated child seats may also need to be replaced.
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    There are very tiny shards of glass thoughout the insides of the gloves and skates. Doesn't matter how hard you try to clean that; those things aren't coming out, and I'm not sticking my hands or feet in there.

Fortunately, my brand new hockey gloves were in the bag; the ones which got glass on them were my old customized MIA gloves. Beautiful gloves I don't want to get rid of, but will.

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    yeah if hes got a decent pair of bauers or CCM in size 9-9.5D i'll find a away to get the glass out. ;)
    Yup, they're Nike/Bauer's in 9.5. :)

First I'll see what the insurance adjuster does and then see what to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    The NHTSA has some guidelines for using carseats after a crash:
    NHTSA: Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes

You should also contact your car dealer after a crash, as it is very likely that the seatbelts, LATCH/tether anchors and integrated child seats may also need to be replaced.
    Yeah, I did read that. Looks like in this instance it would qualify as a minor crash, but I need to read the guides for the car seats to see if they recommend replacing them regardless.

Good point on the latch system!

It's amazing how something as simple as a bike rack can prevent major damage to a car. My late uncle swore by having a trailor hitch on every car he owned. More than once his car would be virtually untouched in a rear-end accident, while the car that hit him would be virtually folded in half in the front.

1-That's why I keep my trailer hitch on my Jeep.

2-If you don't have your current insurance card, you could have called the number of your agent on the insurance card to verify your insurance. My brother got pulled over one time in Chicago...and he was going to hammer him for it. I then told the cop he could just call his agent--after some back and forth, I explained he needs to show proof of insurance....not necessarily a paper card. No ticket.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    It's amazing how something as simple as a bike rack can prevent major damage to a car. My late uncle swore by having a trailor hitch on every car he owned. More than once his car would be virtually untouched in a rear-end accident, while the car that hit him would be virtually folded in half in the front.
    Exactly. I thought for sure the impact crunched in my entire back. You wouldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the back and saw just the bike rack folded up and that it -- not the truck itself -- had bent it in half. Absolutely incredible.

And SIG, I did tell the Officer that I verified my insurance by calling the agent immediately after the crash. He didn't seem to care, but didn't ticket me, anyway, so I'm not concerned. New insurance cards came in today so I put them in. They're dated for like 5/10, but whatever.. it'll do.

My son's pickup was rear ended by a VW Jetta, Just ruined the bumper. While dad was under the truck putting on the free bumper he found, he noticed the exhaust was destroyed from the cat back. Crawl under the SUV with the estimator, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links