Carrying Concealed in the Military

This is a discussion on Carrying Concealed in the Military within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. This is my first real post, so I really hope not to get attacked for my question... I am on Active Duty - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Concealed in the Military

Hello all. This is my first real post, so I really hope not to get attacked for my question...

I am on Active Duty - Air Force to be exact - I live off the base. As its well known you cannot carry concealed on a base, and its very frowned upon carrying a weapon on an installation at all. There are specific stipulations on carrying, like it must be in a certain place, unloaded, yadi yadi yadi...

Im curious to know what others in my situation do. Do you leave your weapon at home, then mount up when you get back home? What if you need to stop at the store on your way home or something? Do you save those trips for later? What do you do?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

X

I'm interested in others views on this too. I'm not active duty military, but I'm a civilian who works on a military base. I know that I can not bring a firearm on the base. So I'm curious as to what others do, such as leave it at home then arm after work, etc.

You truly have only three choices:

1) Leave it at home
    2) Go "rogue" and take a chance at getting caught, whether carrying or even having it in the car, and throwing your military career out the window.
    3) Check your weapon into the armory. I believe it's up to each individual Base Commander as to whether you have that option or not...

As a "retiree", my nearest base is approx 45 miles from home. I have to leave my weapon at home anytime I go to the base. GRRRRRR!!! I really don't have any other choice, other than carrying, getting caught, and being barred from the base and perhaps more.... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximat1 View Post
    Im curious to know what others in my situation do. Do you leave your weapon at home, then mount up when you get back home? What if you need to stop at the store on your way home or something? Do you save those trips for later? What do you do?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

X
    First off Welcome Aboard!

I'm an 18 year Navy vet and have carried most of that time. I'll be brief:
    On base is a No-No.....you know that. My guns are locked at home while at work/deployed. If I have to stop somewhere on my way home.....I do it unarmed. No biggie. I'll 'lock and load' when I home. Sometime I'll wait, sometime not....depends on my mood and what I need to get....and where. It does not dictate my life, but considerations are made.

Again, welcome aboard and stay safe!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have a friend who is lucky enough to be OSI in the Air Force so he gets to carry concealed everywhere. On base and off.

Remember, YOU as an active duty service member are essentially U.S. Govt. Property. You must abide by the directives of the base commander.

IIRC there are a couple base commanders who have a directive that their personnel are not to carry concealed weapons even off base. Just be sure you are doing what is required and expected of you.

When I was in the Corps, at that time, I wasn't interested in ccw and did not worry about it at the time. I personally owned one pistol and kept in the base armory as required.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Theres no question about it, I will NOT be carrying while on base. I like my job, prefer to keep it! :)

As for carrying it to work, armory, then carrying back home, thats out of the question as well. The armory isn't a wise place to keep your own personal weapon.

As for following regs and such, there are no regs that say i cannot carry while off base. There are, however, some restrictions like target practice is considered a high risk activity, and you must have approval from the commander to do a high risk activity. All the regs and such are cosher with me.

X

Who told you target practice is a high risk activity? I'd like to see the ORM on that..(and throw a flag up on it...I'm not buying it). I've been shooting for a lot longer than I've been AD, and NEVER heard this.

IRT carrying...to/from base, no go. Otherwise, go home, load up, go run errands.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here's where I would start.

As I last recall, those who live on base have to register their firearms with the Security Police. Then they can transport those arms on and off base provided they are unloaded and secured (cased) in the vehicle.

I would ask if you can register your arms with the SPs and likewise transport them in the same manner. If so, then it's a matter of stopping before entering the base and securing the firearm, then retrieving the firearm again after leaving the base.

It's a minor inconvenience but doable if you wish to have your firearm going to and from the base. I would never suggest nor recommend trying to "sneak" it past. It would be a career ender for sure.

A call to the SPs would clear this up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sig... Its an AETC thing.

OldVet, negative, if you reside on base you do not have to register your firearms with the SPs. If you live in base housing you can store them at your residence as you desire. If you reside in the dorms, however, you are required to store them at the base armory. That being said, i'be been told by many that the Armory is not a good place to keep your privately owned firearms.

I spent 10 years in the Air Force myself. That is the very reason I didn't own any firearms until I got out of the service.

That is one thing that really doesn't make any sense to me. Our soldiers are sworn to protect us from threats foreign and domestic. How can they do that without being armed? We wouldn't have had our recent incident if there had been armed military on Ft Hood.

Kinda shot our own selves in the foot there.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have a friend who is lucky enough to be OSI in the Air Force so he gets to carry concealed everywhere. On base and off.

Remember, YOU as an active duty service member are essentially U.S. Govt. Property. You must abide by the directives of the base commander.

IIRC there are a couple base commanders who have a directive that their personnel are not to carry concealed weapons even off base. Just be sure you are doing what is required and expected of you.

When I was in the Corps, at that time, I wasn't interested in ccw and did not worry about it at the time. I personally owned one pistol and kept in the base armory as required.
    They may try and tell you that you cannot CC if you have a permit, but it is not legal. It would be like telling someone they can't drive a car, even though they have a valid drivers license.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Back to the OP: Do they say the same thing about using pneumatic nailers?

Since it's AETC, I'd take it with a grain of salt (they would consider a fart an explosive device)....what does your commander say about your hobby? Because I can't believe they would make you get approval every time you go to the range.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    They may try and tell you that you cannot CC if you have a permit, but it is not legal. It would be like telling someone they can't drive a car, even though they have a valid drivers license.

That makes sense... IIRC I believe one of those commands is in Alaska, which is a State who does not issue CCW permits. Would that have any validity then?

Again, I was just reading somewhere where that was an issue with a couple of base commanders so I have no way of verifying it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That makes sense... IIRC I believe one of those commands is in Alaska, which is a State who does not issue CCW permits. Would that have any validity then?
    Point of order--Alaska does issue CCW permits, but does not require them in order to carry. This allows Alaskans travelling out-of-state to have reciprocity. You are correct, however, about US Army Alaska (USARAK) probibiting it's soldiers from carrying on or off post (unless you're away from roads and/or towns).

To answer the OP's question, most people I know leave theirs at home. Good luck in AETC (Adults Eternally Treated as Children).

Herk
    Last edited by Herknav; April 29th, 2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Clarification
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    If they still allow it, it is safe to keep your firearms at the base armory if you can lock the case.

Trust me when I say, that the folks in the armory will examine your weapons if left their unsecured.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links