Carrying Chambered - Lesson Learned

This is a discussion on Carrying Chambered - Lesson Learned within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been lurking mostly on this site for a while and have started carrying a few weeks ago. My dad was old school military and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Chambered - Lesson Learned

Carrying Chambered - Lesson Learned

I've been lurking mostly on this site for a while and have started carrying a few weeks ago. My dad was old school military and drilled the safe use of guns into my head.....maybe a little too well. I bought a Glock 23 and Kahr P380 a while back and was a little concerned that they didn't has the type lever safety that I'm used to. So I started CCW, but would carry without one chambered. I kept reading on here about how most of the posters carry with one chambered, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that, since I was afraid of an accidental discharge. I've been getting closer to carrying chambered but still wasn't quite there, until last night.

Last night I got home and I had my Kahr on me as usual in a pocket holster. My wife was waiting just inside the door and asked me if I had just gotten home or if I'd come inside a few minutes earlier. I told her that I had just walked in. She told me that she had heard footsteps like someone walking around in out livingroom while she was downstairs. Both kids were sound asleep and even if they had been in the living room, they wouldn't have made the amount of noise that my wife said she heard. I thought my wife was probably hearing things, since she didn't hear a door chime before, which she would have heard had someone come in the house before me. I pull out my Kahr and start to check the immediate area around the kids bedrooms. I didn't have a round chambered, so I pull back the slide and JAM....a FTF. It took that one second for me to realize why I should have already been chambered. What if someone had been rushing at me? What if some BG had gotten inside the house and turned a corner while my wife and I were standing in the living room? What if I had to draw on someone and the gun jammed when I went to rack the slide. Not carrying one chambered could have been the difference in a good or bad ending.

Fortunately, my wife must have just been hearing things, since I cleared the jam and then check the rest of the house. I didn't think I'd find anything, but I did become an immediate convert to carrying chambered.

As a side note, that was the first jam I've had with that gun, otherwise I would have likely been converted weeks ago. I'm taking it to the range tonight to test it out again and see if the jam occurs again before I 100% trust it.
    Glock G23
    Kahr P380
    OMC "The Backup" .380

I may die by my own gun, but whoever kills me with it will have to beat me to death with it, cause it will be empty by the time they get it.

2. Remove Ads

Geez, That's a heck of a way to learn that lesson. Glad it turned out to be nothing.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I'm sure glad you realized the error of your ways when there was no one there to do you or your family harm. That's the best way to learn a lesson.

Stay safe, Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    As a side note, that was the first jam I've had with that gun, otherwise I would have likely been converted weeks ago. I'm taking it to the range tonight to test it out again and see if the jam occurs again before I 100% trust it.
    Did you pull and release? Or, did you ride the slide forward? Stress situations make even routine actions more challenging.

As far as carrying chambered or not, that is your choice. If it makes you more comfortable not to, then practice, practice and more practice is called for. If you decide to carry chambered, then practice is still called for. That is, practice Rule #1.

Every gun is loaded. Always!

I'm glad things worked out alright for you. False alarms are OK if you learn something from them.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Glad to hear you realized your possible mistake before it was a dangerouse situation. Don't worry, you'll get used to carrying chambered. I carry an LCP and the slide is so small that in a "scary" situation manipulating it would probably be pretty hard to accomplish.

I did a pull and release. I guess the main difference is that when I have practiced I always practice with the slide locked open, then hit the release. Never had a FTF that way. I didn't really think about that until now. I'll practice racking the slide to load, instead of hitting the release to see if I get the FTF again. Still going chambered from now on though.
    Glock G23
    Kahr P380
    OMC "The Backup" .380

I may die by my own gun, but whoever kills me with it will have to beat me to death with it, cause it will be empty by the time they get it.

I've carried chambered since day one in my Smith & Wesson Model 3914 9mm compact and I've never felt any doubts about doing so. Interesting to me how not everybody feels that way. Not being critical here but to me at least, chambered is the only way to go.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Wow, glad that turned out okay for you. Good lesson learned cheaply.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Geez, That's a heck of a way to learn that lesson. Glad it turned out to be nothing.
    A heck of a CHEAP way to learn it. There are FAR more expensive ways to learn it. He's lucky none of those happened to him.

I carry a Kahr CW40 and you cannot rack the slide to chamber a round. I have fired around 300 rounds through it so it is broken in, but the factory instructions even tell NOT to rack the slide but to release it from the locked-open position. I'm glad your "situation" turned out okay. BTW, I always carry one chambered!
    2 Chr 7:14

I carry a PM9 and the Kahrs need to be broken in a bit before they are reliable with a manual rack of the slide. Also, you need to use good technique on the racking. As you pull back on the slide with your left hand (assuming the gun is in your right), also push forward with your right. Do this quickly, and with "authority". After about 500 rounds, I have had no issue with manually racking my PM9. However, if you baby the slide, or ride the slide forward with your hand, you will get an FTF.

Glad things turned out ok for you.

How long have you had your Kahr, and how many rounds have you put through it? One in the chamber is usually the best bet, but I would also be a little concerned over the function of the gun with the ammo etc.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
    I carry a Kahr CW40 and you cannot rack the slide to chamber a round. I have fired around 300 rounds through it so it is broken in, but the factory instructions even tell NOT to rack the slide but to release it from the locked-open position. I'm glad your "situation" turned out okay. BTW, I always carry one chambered!
    This makes no sense to me. I own several Kahrs, and literally dozens of other pistols. With all of them, "racking" the slide to its full-rearward position and releasing it gives more travel and more forward momentum to chamber a round than would dropping it off the slide stop, just as firing the gun does. Unless "racking the slide" means something altogether different to you and to Kahr than it does to me, this is ass-backwards. And they've put it in the instructions? Now, if one is following the slide forward with the "racking" hand, rather than releasing it like a slingshot, that is a problem.

To the OP: Valuable lesson learned. Glad you're okay.

Bet the instruction to use the slide stop (what it's called in the manual) to release the slide is due to frustration with customers riding the slide forward. Good way to learn proper technique is to use an overhand grip, pull back on slide letting it slip through your fingers, and make sure your weak hand hits you in your shoulder.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links