Ruger LCR Kicks!

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR Kicks! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My advice will be somewhat different than others on this form, first welcome to DC, glad to see you taking responsibility for your self. Berreta ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR Kicks!

Distinguished Member
    My advice will be somewhat different than others on this form, first welcome to DC, glad to see you taking responsibility for your self.

Berreta TomCat 32 auto. It has a tip up barrel for easy loading, you don't have to rack the slide, but you can if you like. Not a powerhouse, but,-------but if you learn to shoot it well, and can hit what you are aiming at, it will put the fear of God in a perp.

The gun is small, so it will be easier to conceal, and the kick will be softer and more manageable. If you can learn to shoot a larger caliber gun in a heavier model great, but if shooting a high-power gun does nothing other then frustrate you, try the 32. While I don't own one, you might ask here for members that do own them, and see what their take on the 32 is.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

2. Remove Ads

I am going to go back tomorrow and try a different range that was recommended by a member here. I think me going alone and having no knowledge has a lot to do with the way I am being treated at the range. I will be hopefully trying out 2 more guns tomorrow. I am going to try something a little heavier and see how that goes! Thank you all for all your support and I will print that out and take it with me! Wish me luck and I will let you guys know how it goes!!!

As you can see from various posts, no matter what your size is the lighter the gun the more unpleasant it is to shoot. Even though they are more comfortable to carry, if you aren't proficient with it and lack confidence in your skills then there's a strong possibility you'll bypass carrying it all together or on a very limited basis at best. The rest of this post is going to touch areas from both threads you have going.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of revolvers for concealed carry as you trade off round capacity in order to lose the bulkiness in the cylinder. I also don't care for the size of Speedloaders or the slowness of the stripper clips when it comes to reloading. The big plus is they are less prone to stoppages, less complicated to learn starting off and shooter's errors won't hinder function. Of course, these are just my opinions and if you do decide to go with a revolver, I would consider getting one chambered in .357 as you can shoot .38's through it. Once you become more skilled at shooting and comfortable with recoil, you then have the option and capability of using a more powerful round for your self defense load with the added benefit of the reduced cost of .38's for practice.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of semi-auto pistols. I prefer the increased round capacity, ease and quickness of reloads plus the slimmer profile. With a S&W J frame, you'll have 5 in the cylinder plus two spare reloaders for a total of 15 rounds. With the S&W M&P9c, you'll have 13 rounds (12 mag + 1 chambered) in the pistol alone. Now you factor in two extra mags with 12 each and you'll talking some serious round availability should you need it. There are drawbacks with this platform which are primarily failure to extract (FTE) and failure to feed (FTF). You need to be able to resolve these issues quickly and get the gun back into action ASAP should you be using it in a self defensive situation. Once you understand what to do, it's really no big deal but there are steps that need to be taken that will take more time then just pulling the trigger on a revolver should the handgun not fire. Here's a link on the various types of pistol malfunctions and the proper method for correction:
    YouTube - Pistol Malfunction Clearance

The other drawback to a pistol over a revolver is the more compact a pistol is, the less forgiving it is of shooter's errors. If you don't have a proper grip or limpwrist (wrist not locked solid) then the pistol will most likely suffer FTE or FTF malfunctions. Experience and training will fix this and not everyone has problems with compacts but it is something to be aware of. Since your a physician, I imagine you have good eye/hand coordination and have strong problem solving skills so weapons manipulation and handling malfunctions won't be an issue for you once you get comfortable with the platform.

Since your looking for two handguns for two specific purposes, my recommendation would be the Smith and Wesson M&P9 (home/training) and M&P9c (carry). These are chambered in 9mm which is very mild shooting, readily available (as much as can be) and easy on the pocketbook. They have various models but I'd recommend no thumb safety and having night sights which are a must have on any defensive pistol IMHO. They also have the Compact models with Crimson Trace lasergrips which are fantastic but you won't be able to use the interchangeable backstraps with these. You'll be keeping with the same platform and more importantly, keeping the exact same type of pistol so muscle memory regarding controls will carry over. Both have interchangeable back straps (S, M, L) so you can fit the pistol to your hand better and the M&P's have great ergonomics with a low bore axis which aid in recoil management. You could keep the full-sized one in a Biometric handgun safe (secured yet easily accessible) or even a decent home safe while away whereas a shotgun (previously suggested and a great choice) will obviously require a much larger safe and may not be feasible at this time. I think you should concentrate on two pistols at this point since you want to take training classes and wait to get the shotgun a little ways down the road. Currently, S&W is having a promo through 5/31 offering 2 free mags with any M&P purchase. If you decide to go this route, I would suggest getting all 4 magazines in the 17 round for the full sized M&P. Not only will they interchange with the M&P9c, you will now have 6 full sized mags total for your training classes which will be much more beneficial for you. Here's a link to the promo:
    M&P Pistol Promotion - Smith & Wesson

For training, your in luck as Cumberland Tactics with Randy Cain will be having a Ladies Only Handgun Class in Lakeland, FL on 11/13 & 11/14 of this year. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about him and his classes and much of this coming from other respected trainers/instructors on various forums I frequent. I'm sure there are some members here who can attest to the quality of Randy's classes. Run, don't walk, to sign up for this ASAP! Here's a link to that:
    SCHEDULE

There's also this forum dedicated to Florida CCW. If it's anything like Missouri, then I'm sure they have the occasional get-together and I even imagine some members that would be more than happy to meet up with you at a range, let you try some different guns they have and even offer some advice. Here's that link:
    Florida Concealed Carry Forums - Powered by vBulletin

If you've made it this far then you really are enthusiastic in your journey and absorbing everything you can LOL! Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Administrator
    Some great suggestions posted above.
    Buy one of these on Ebay. Around $14.00 & they really do help to very quickly build grip, hand, and finger strength.
    Search for "Gripmaster" and find the best price for yourself from a reputable seller.
    For sure buy one in LIGHT tension at first. Even just sticking with the LIGHT tension version will help no matter what firearm you eventually choose and decide to carry.

Gripmaster Light Tension Hand Strengthener Guitar NEW - eBay (item 130381861957 end time May-09-10 0807 PDT)

And...Don't pay any attention to any MALE Stupid Idiot comments at any range. You are exactly on the right path so far.

I would also just like to point out something which you may already know and understand. However it is important to understand to keep you from becoming frustrated.

You must learn to walk before you can run. Folks here imparting advice and suggestions are often doing so with decades of experience not only with firearms in general, but also regarding the abstract concept of what one needs to know to survive a deadly encounter.

You may often times feel overwhelmed at the amount of information you receive and feel lost in the chaos of opinions and concepts bantered about regarding tactics, methods, mindset and techniques.

You may feel you are missing critical information, or suddenly realize something very important.

Yes, you want to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can because having the knowledge gives you the power and control over how you will respond in a life or death crisis situation.

Just remember, for a lot of us, it took decades to gather this knowledge and you should not get frustrated because you are new to this realm of what we call survival.

Don't get frustrated. Stick with us and keep an open mind. Sooner or later, you'll be a pro and up to speed, so just hang in there.

You've come to the right place and we're happy to have you on board.

btw... QKShooter's suggestion in the post above is an excellent suggestion. Regardless of which weapon you choose, a fair amount of hand and wrist strength is imperative to shooting well and preventing malfunctions in the cycling of your pistol. The tool he suggested is an excellent way to accomplish needed hand strength. Also squeezing a tennis ball works well too. My cousin would squeeze a tennis ball for hours when learning to play piano and ended up with the grip of a vise. He also paid for medical school playing the piano.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

As mentioned earlier this is not a range gun. It was not built for extended shooting sessions. It was designed to be easily carried and concealed. I have no problem shooting any of my 44 mags when i'm at the range but they are to large cumbersome to carry all day. On the other hand one of my carry guns is a charter arms bulldog in 44 spcl. It is easily concealed and carried but I would not enjoy shooting it more than absolutely necessary.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I would also just like to point out something which you may already know and understand. However it is important to understand to keep you from becoming frustrated.

You must learn to walk before you can run. Folks here imparting advice and suggestions are often doing so with decades of experience not only with firearms in general, but also regarding the abstract concept of what one needs to know to survive a deadly encounter.

You may often times feel overwhelmed at the amount of information you receive and feel lost in the chaos of opinions and concepts bantered about regarding tactics, methods, mindset and techniques.

You may feel you are missing critical information, or suddenly realize something very important.

Yes, you want to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can because having the knowledge gives you the power and control over how you will respond in a life or death crisis situation.

Just remember, for a lot of us, it took decades to gather this knowledge and you should not get frustrated because you are new to this realm of what we call survival.

Don't get frustrated. Stick with us and keep an open mind. Sooner or later, you'll be a pro and up to speed, so just hang in there.

You've come to the right place and we're happy to have you on board.

btw... QKShooter's suggestion in the post above is an excellent suggestion. Regardless of which weapon you choose, a fair amount of hand and wrist strength is imperative to shooting well and preventing malfunctions in the cycling of your pistol. The tool he suggested is an excellent way to accomplish needed hand strength. Also squeezing a tennis ball works well too. My cousin would squeeze a tennis ball for hours when learning to play piano and ended up with the grip of a vise. He also paid for medical school playing the piano.
    Good advice Bark'n. Torri2cutie1 though I've only recently joined this forum, I have been visiting it for a long time. There are many, truly knowledge men and women on this site who are more than willing to provide any assistance possible. Keep coming back and don't be afraid to ask questions. Shooting is really the only sport that will become a way of life to defend your life and the lives of those you love.
    Glock 23/Colt pre-70 Commander/Ruger LCP/S&W 60-9 & more

Hi Torri,

From a PM I sent, I mentioned tagging a link to this thread. Here it is:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rowing-me.html

Let me know if you got the PM; not sure if I'm sending it correctly.

CZ

"Don't get frustrated. Stick with us and keep an open mind. Sooner or later, you'll be a pro and up to speed, so just hang in there."

Good advise from Barkin. Don't give up!

My wife carries a Ruger LCR. I suspect you were shooting .38 +P rounds and in that light weight revolver it does bite, which can take to fun out of practice, but it remains controllable and her preferred defensive load. You would have a completely different experience shooting standard .38 Special ammo. So, what she does is practice with standard .38 loads, but always finishes up her practice session with several cylinders of .38 +P, so that +P feeling remains in her mind and muscle memory.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

During the past year, after getting my CCW, a gun buddy and I have had fun buying guns! It financially hurts, especially when you and your friends buy bullets to shoot through them. So, my two most useful CCW and self-defense weapons are a Ruger LCP and a Kel-Tec P-11 that I keep inside my ride. It would not hurt to have just bought them first and forgotten their other gun brothers.

S&W M&P

My wife carries and shoots a S&W M&P 45 ACP. She has tried my 38 SPCL and 357MAG in 3". She hates them both, although she qualified with them also. Try and borrow a Smith M&P. very light and shoots well
    Fate makes demands of flesh and blood. And what does it often demand? Flesh and blood!

I own one and took a couple of female students to the range last week and they had no problem with it or my charter arms undercover .

Curious to know the response and follow-up by range/store owner. Also, proud of the OP for taking her personal safety and 2A rights seriously.

For 11 years I have been reminded by my DW that she can shoot the SP101 better than I can. But I can hit a quarter at 15m with my XD (probably take me a whole box to do it). One size does not fit all.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Torrie, sent you a PM with some recommendations on a trainer for you in Central, FL.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links