Ruger LCR Kicks!

Ruger LCR Kicks!

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR Kicks! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK OK I am a new shooter and have my permit but have not purchased yet. I went to the range today and tried the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR Kicks!

Ruger LCR Kicks!

OK OK I am a new shooter and have my permit but have not purchased yet. I went to the range today and tried the Ruger LCR Double Action Revolver. I am a small female (26 years old 5'2' and about 110lbs). Is it just first time jitters because I felt like this thing snapped back and almost through my arms above my head! Maybe I am just not use to it yet and the bigger guns have sent me flying so this one wasn't as bad but any tips for shooting if it is just me? I want to have better control over the gun and the guys at the shooting range just laugh and say I am out of place or make sexist comments. One mans tutorial was to spread my legs while I stand which I don't understand because if I am going to be mugged most likely I wont get into a position like that before pulling my gun. Any thoughts is it the gun or me and if it is me any tips? Any thoughts on ammo?

It's a mistake for women to think that because they are petite they need to get the lightest possible gun to carry. A petite lady really needs a gun with some weight to soak up recoil. You might be more comfortable shooting 38spls in something like a Ruger SP101.

I hate shooting the LCR. My mother has one and it is more painful to shoot than a 44 magnum. The gun fits a great niche for defensive carry, but I would rather shoot anything else given a choice while at the range.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

It just seemed uncomfortable and I really struggled shooting it. I don't know if it was the gun or my size. I shot over 200 rounds because I really wanted to try it but still can't seem to get comfortable with it.

VIP Member
    Remember, this is a self-defense weapon, not a range gun.

Granted, having big ol' meat gloves make handling these hot little pistols much more pleasant. Even so, shooting +P's out of my 637 is about as much fun as slamming an aluminum baseball bat against a tree. I doubt I'll notice it if I really need it, though.

Not to change the subject, but wide grips help absorb the shock. Have you shot a G26 yet?

EW3
    I would NOT advise an LCR if you are new to all this!

Try a Glock 26, or Glock 19 or XD-9SC or XD-9, you will be much more comfortable with a softer shooting semi-auto in 9mm.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

No I haven't. I am really new to all this gun stuff and really don't know what I should be trying or asking for when I go to the range. I had an incident which made me decide that I need a gun to protect myself. I would like two guns, one to carry and one to keep in my home at all times. I am looking for suggestions and help if at all possible. I am trying to do research but found the best way to learn is to ask the people that use the guns and have the experience and can tell me what they think and know first hand. Thanks guys

VIP Member
    Welcome to the DC! I saw your intro yesterday, but didn't have a moment to respond.

This is definately the place to learn. These are some of the best folks I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Torri2cutie1 View Post
    No I haven't. I am really new to all this gun stuff and really don't know what I should be trying or asking for when I go to the range. I had an incident which made me decide that I need a gun to protect myself. I would like two guns, one to carry and one to keep in my home at all times. I am looking for suggestions and help if at all possible. I am trying to do research but found the best way to learn is to ask the people that use the guns and have the experience and can tell me what they think and know first hand. Thanks guys
    What I recommend:

1. Talk to Limatunes here via PM (she's an Admin here and used to work at the gunshop/range I go to and is really good with guiding new users)

2. Find a good gunshop/range with a decent rental selection and someone that offers TRAINING. They may start you off on a Ruger .22 semi-auto or something easy to shoot and get used to the basics with.

3. Find a gun that YOU like, that YOU feel comfortable with, even if you have to handle 100 of them. DON'T let some gunshop commando "tell" you what you need to have.

4. I would seriously look at semi-autos in 9mm, they are softer shooting and easier/cheaper to parctice on than .380, .38, .40 which can be harder recoiling and more expensive to find ammo for.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Everyone has been really nice. I tried talking to the guys at the range but really they just shrug me off or laugh and tell me I am in the wrong place. It has definitely made it harder to get a gun. I stumbled on this forum through a google search and spent all night going into past threads trying to learn as much as possible. I am willing to try anything. My main concern is being able to operate safely and effectively what I have. I don't want a gun just to say I feel secure and have a gun. I want to make sure I am comfortable with what I have and able to use it if needed. I don't want to be scared about using it and I want to know everything there is about owning and operating firearms. I am soaking this all in =)

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    What I recommend:

1. Talk to Limatunes here via PM (she's an Admin here and used to work at the gunshop/range I go to and is really good with guiding new users)

2. Find a good gunshop/range with a decent rental selection and someone that offers TRAINING. They may start you off on a Ruger .22 semi-auto or something easy to shoot and get used to the basics with.

3. Find a gun that YOU like, that YOU feel comfortable with, even if you have to handle 100 of them. DON'T let some gunshop commando "tell" you what you need to have.

4. I would seriously look at semi-autos in 9mm, they are softer shooting and easier/cheaper to parctice on than .380, .38, .40 which can be harder recoiling and more expensive to find ammo for.

Excellent I will send her a message! Thank you!!!!

I agree with wmhawth. A little weight is a good thing when learning as it helps with the "kick". My wife is petite as well, also new to shooting. She had the luxury of shooting most of what I own and the various guns in my friends' collections before choosing her first gun. She ultimately decided on a revolver, a Ruger SP101 in .357. The SP101 has a lot more weight than the LCR and is a tad larger as well. Still has the short barrel but will soak up a .38 special better than the LCR. Something similar to this might be a better choice for a first over the LCR....it still has a short barrel and is fairly concealable. The .357 magnum is a bear of a load out of a short barrel...but it can also take the .38special, like the LCR. Little more versatility this way.

Once you've become comfortable with your grip and your stance that LCR might not seem so powerful...it'll still kick...but you'll be able to control it and not be so shocked when it goes off. The guy at the range that was telling you to spread your feet was likely just trying to help you learn a good shooting stance. Although you may not be able to get into this stance in all defensive situations, it's good to learn a few different techniques. I'd advise taking some classes. A good qualified instructor won't make fun of you as you learn. Also as you learn, the stance will become reflexive and you'd be surprised how quickly you can draw and get into position if need be.

As far as a "home gun" goes...my personal choice would be a nice shorter barreled shotgun. Being petite you might see if you can try a few. Many will by default suggest a 12guage. That might just be more "boom" than you can handle comfortably. But try one and see.

Keep asking questions here so that you can have a bit of a knowledge base when asking questions in the gun store. Gun store employees can be condescending at times....don't let it bother you. Good Luck!

I'm sorry to hear you're getting that sort of treatment from the staff at your range. Hopefully someone on this board can give you a good recommendation of someone in your area who can help you w. some stance/grip training and give you an opportunity to test drive some different pistols. What's been said about about lightweight pistols is correct - small & light are pleasant for carrying, but usually uncomfortable to shoot.

My wife is a good 4" shorter than you, with small hands. We wound up with a very heavy (steel frame), compact Baby Eagle in 9mm for her. It's not a carry gun, but she's very comfortable shooting it at the range. She'll happily burn through 200 rounds & only stop because she sees all the $$$ floating away in the air. It's valuable to start shooting w. something more comfortable so you can develop good shooting skills w/o fear/discomfort/flinching. Once you have that foundation established, you can tackle those lighter carry pistols more easily.

If you were in greater Houston, I'd be happy to help you @ the range. Hopefully someone in FL can chime in.

Good for you for working to improve your ability to defend yourself! Don't give up, and you've done the right thing by coming to a board like this to find constructive advice.

Edit: ditto for Limatunes. Also, search YouTube for her name - she's posted a variety of videos that are fun & informative.
    Last edited by rhenriksen; April 30th, 2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Plug for Limatunes

+1 to chatting with Limatunes. She's very knowledgeable.

Also check out corneredcat.com It's a great site for women just like you with women specific answers to your questions.

Here's a link: Cornered Cat

I thought about maybe getting a personal trainer so to speak to help me at the range. I have a two weeks vacation and instead of going somewhere I have decided to make it my mission to learn all I can and get comfortable shooting and operating and be able to purchase a gun that I can use safely and know top to bottom. I have been looking for someone to help me that would go to the range with me, help me with holsters and different guns and has a good general knowledge about guns. I am willing to travel in florida if needed but its hard finding anyone that interested. Going to the range as a single woman is overwhelming and I am met with glares and sarcasm. I have a lot of questions at the range as I am not knowledgeable at all in this field and often am brushed off. I am hoping by coming here I can gain experience and knowledge and find help =)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links