Question - Firearm transport in North Carolina (out of stater)

This is a discussion on Question - Firearm transport in North Carolina (out of stater) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have a permit to carry concealed in PA and am traveling to NC this weekend. I've read all I can find (including NC ...

Thread: Question - Firearm transport in North Carolina (out of stater)

Hi,

I have a permit to carry concealed in PA and am traveling to NC this weekend. I've read all I can find (including NC state website) and I feel pretty comfortable on most of the conceal carry laws in NC for out of staters.

One question though... How about conceal carry while driving? From what I've read it sound like I must not have 'easy' access to a loaded firearm while driving in my car. Is this true? So I can't have it in my IWB holster while in my car in NC?

Thanks,
    Freak
    -Kel-Tec P3AT .380 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (summer carry)
    -Kahr PM9 9mm w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (new summer carry)
    -Glock 27 .40 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (winter carry)
    -Taurus PT945 .45 (more or less retired from carry)

If I recollect correctly, since your PA permit is honored in NC, you may carry concealed as long as you obey NC statute. You may carry your firearm any way you would like while driving. If it is not easily visible (stored, in holster, etc.), it will be considered concealed. If you get pulled over by LEO you must inform.

Those that do not have a permit must store the handgun in the most inaccessible place of their vehicle (trunk?).

Others may chime in and correct me...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    If I recollect correctly, since your PA permit is honored in NC, you may carry concealed as long as you obey NC statute. You may carry your firearm any way you would like while driving. If it is not easily visible (stored, in holster, etc.), it will be considered concealed. If you get pulled over by LEO you must inform.

Those that do not have a permit must store the handgun in the most inaccessible place of their vehicle (trunk?).

Others may chime in and correct me...
    You are correct! Don't forget that in NC you can't carry at a funeral or a parade!

From Handgunlaws.us

Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure that their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon either on or about them without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the person's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and
    within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of the automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of our law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as, under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; in an unlocked glove compartment; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. A previous opinion from this office was that a weapon would not be concealed if it were placed in a locked glove compartment,
    unless the key to the glove compartment was in the lock and the person was in close proximity and had ready access to it. A concern with this mode of transportation however is that it is quite susceptible to different interpretations, based on the various factors involved. Therefore, this may not be the most legally defensible method of transporting a weapon, and is discouraged.
    While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems attendant to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of a person being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that person's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that a person immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate our law.
    As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area, for example vans, the question turns on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of a vehicle to ensure that the
    weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as the driver of a vehicle.Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure that their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon either on or about them without
    being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the person's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon
    concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of the automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of our law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as, under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; in an unlocked glove compartment; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. A previous opinion from this office was that a weapon would not be concealed if it were placed in a locked glove compartment,
    unless the key to the glove compartment was in the lock and the person was in close proximity and had ready access to it. A concern with this mode of transportation however is that it is quite susceptible to different interpretations, based on the various factors involved. Therefore, this may not be the most legally defensible method of transporting a weapon, and is discouraged.
    While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems attendant to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of a person being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that person's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that a person immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being
    easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate our law. As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area, for example vans, the question turns on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in
    violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of a vehicle to ensure that the weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as the driver of a vehicle.

So I gather, that with a reciprical permit, you can carry in your vehicle any way you choose in NC. You do have to notify if you are pulled over tho. Both NC and SC.

I live in Virginia, I have reciprocity with SC because of my VA residency, I am covered for TN, NC, SC with my VA license and I am covered for GA with my NH non resident permit. I travel to GA a couple times a year to visit my parents, and I CC in my vehicle the entire trip. I've never been pulled over while carrying tho either.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

If you have a CCP with reciprocity just carry normally and inform any LEO immediately that you are armed and have a CCP. NC is a must inform state. If you did not have a CCP with reciprocity you could openly carry a handgun in a car by keeping it visible, like on the passenger seat or dash. NC makes not clear definition of what is concealed or open, it's left up to LEO discretion somewhat. But your CCP takes that issue away since you are allowed to carry a concealed weapon. It's on my hip in the car. Talked to several LEO's while CC and OC in a car with no issues. Carry on, and enjoy your visit!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Whereas, you can also legally carry in VA with your PA permit....and do not need to inform an officer if stopped (in VA).

IMO, my caution to you is driving through MD...unload and store your weapon before entering MD....load back up when you enter VA.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks for the replies.

I usually put a trigger lock on the firearm and lock the ammo in a separate container while driving in MD.

I plan on getting a Utah non-resident soon, which will help with some bordering states.
    -Kel-Tec P3AT .380 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (summer carry)
    -Kahr PM9 9mm w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (new summer carry)
    -Glock 27 .40 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (winter carry)
    -Taurus PT945 .45 (more or less retired from carry)

Sponsored Links