This is a discussion on 5.11 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone uses a 5.11 tac vest to carry concealed and what your opinion is on them. I got mine yesturday and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.11

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

I was wondering if anyone uses a 5.11 tac vest to carry concealed and what your opinion is on them. I got mine yesturday and absolutley love them. Is the velcro strong enough to hold a full size XDM, and will it hold the holster even during decently stringent activity? I wear my holster on my belt still, but was considering carry in the vest itself. Any ideas or suggestions? Sorry if this should go in the gear sub-forum, i am sure the admins will move it if its in the wrong place.

Thanks
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I have several vest, 5.11, Sig Tac, Woolrich Elite and Orvis. I like Orvis the best. 5.11 is good vest but heavy and too hot for the Nevada summers. Also, I never carry "IN" the vest, I just use it for a cover garment.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

i like and use a vest in the winter as a cover garment. works well.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    I use a bunch of different vest, but a couple are 5.11s. They are pretty well made & I've been able to find them on sale a few times & gotten good deals on them.

I wear vests so often that when people see me without one....they ask why I'm not wearing one.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Nothing screams "I have a gun" like a vest with tons of pockets.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    That depends on where you live and it really only applies to gun people who know. Non gun folks don't have a clue. I wore one all day today and guess what... I never got a second look, no screams or paniced crowds, no finger pointing and wispering and honest, I didn't get shot either!

Looked just like this one but in green:

Lots of pockets too!

superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Not necessarily. I have a similar vest I use when I don't want to carry my camera bag, but need to carry multiple lenses and other accessories.

The only people who see these as gun vests are other shooters. Same deal with fanny-packs.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Im not trying to hijack this thread, but what exactly is 5.11 gear? Is it a brand of gear/clothing? Or what?

X

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ximat1 View Post
    Im not trying to hijack this thread, but what exactly is 5.11 gear? Is it a brand of gear/clothing? Or what?

X
    Google 5.11 Tactical! Nothing beats seeing it all.

superior skills."

HKR
    5.11 is a company that makes "tactical" clothing and equipment, from boots to shirts, belts, pants, bags and knives. They also make other stuff.
    Most of the stuff I've tried out is very good quality.

5.11 Tactical

If you spend a few minutes online you can find a lot of it at very good prices. lapolicegear and other sites regularly have really nice deals.

Their Taclite shorts are my new go to for EDC (when shorts are needed). It's a wonderful thing to stuff everything you normally carry into your pockets and still have several empty pockets, as opposed to the normal puzzle of trying to find a place for everything.
    Some people say 5.11 pants and shorts scream "gun carrier", but around here everyone from EMTs to firefighters to hunters and fishermen wear them. We had some land surveyed recently and two of the guys were wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Not necessarily. I have a similar vest I use when I don't want to carry my camera bag, but need to carry multiple lenses and other accessories.

The only people who see these as gun vests are other shooters. Same deal with fanny-packs.
    Shooters and criminals.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    see, i hang all kinds of photography gear and fishing gear onto mine, if anyone asks, im a professional photographer that takes pictures for fishing magazines, therefore i have a cover story, and a cover garment
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    5.11 is a company that makes "tactical" clothing and equipment, from boots to shirts, belts, pants, bags and knives. They also make other stuff.
    Most of the stuff I've tried out is very good quality.

5.11 Tactical

If you spend a few minutes online you can find a lot of it at very good prices. lapolicegear and other sites regularly have really nice deals.

Their Taclite shorts are my new go to for EDC (when shorts are needed). It's a wonderful thing to stuff everything you normally carry into your pockets and still have several empty pockets, as opposed to the normal puzzle of trying to find a place for everything.
    Some people say 5.11 pants and shorts scream "gun carrier", but around here everyone from EMTs to firefighters to hunters and fishermen wear them. We had some land surveyed recently and two of the guys were wearing them.

HKR: Is that web page the real deal? Their prices are great on the 5.11 gear, as well as a lot of other stuff on there...

VIP Member
    I have worn 5.11 gear daily for four years now as it is the uniform of choice for contractors worldwide. LA Police Gear is probably the cheapest around, generally, and now they are making more and more lightweight uniforms.
    I have also worn the 5.11 vest and they can be a little heavy. Another choice is the fishing type vest which is generally lighter weight and has just as many pockets. One thing to consider is get the vest that has a collar on it. Should you fill the vest up with gear it seems to hang better and it is not pulling on your neck on the narrow edge. The collared vest also looks better in my opinion. Anyways +100 on 5.11's cant beat them.

The 5.11 vest IS great. However, the holster that they sell for the vest does NOT hold a Glock 21 (or a 30). 1911 is fine, but...

Makes for a great cover garment, but the summer can be a little harsh...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links