Situational Obstacles to CCW - Page 2

Situational Obstacles to CCW

This is a discussion on Situational Obstacles to CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I am lucky. I walk up to the pants rack, grab a pair of Wrangler 32x32 and head for the checkout. No need ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I guess I am lucky. I walk up to the pants rack, grab a pair of Wrangler 32x32 and head for the checkout. No need to try anything on.

When I got measured for a tux for my wedding, the lady doing the measuring felt my gun and asked me if "it was going to accompany me while in the tux." I said nope, can't carry in churches. She said "that sucks" and placed the tape between the grip and my hip as to get a better measurement.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

DC Founder
    I can always find a way around the alternative of not carrying. Just stay close to the fitting room or stick it in the waistband of whatever you're trying on or if you are trying on pants put it on normally or try the clothes on and use the mirror in the dressing room to see what the clothes look like or put it in the wife's purse. If for some reason I couldn't carry inside, I bet I could find a dozen places in that minivan to stash it. But honestly, I don't care what anybody says about fanny packs, there are situations when they come in darned handy. This might be one of them...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Is it considered brandishing if someone bursts into your changing room (which is supposed to be a more or less private space) and sees your gun? Obviously, it is unwise to cause a riot and/or be exposed, but could there be legal consequences?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

I had a similiar situation a couple of weeks ago. While we were out, my wife reminded me I had to get measured for a tux for my brother's wedding. So we went to the tux shop--and apparently everybody else in the world also had to be measured that day. Instead of going back another day, I got "the eye" from my wife that said "get it done now that we are here".

Well, I was carrying my SIG in a IWB and the folks working there were measuring everyone out in the middle of the store. Talk about uncomfortable. The plan I came up with was to stand towards the back of the shop (it wasn't that deep anyway) in a corner and if I couldn't convince her to not measure me, I would surrupticiously remove the holster and hold it behind some jackets (it was a bad plan, but a plan nonetheless).

In the end, she just asked my waist size (+ 2" for holster/gun!!--but I didn't tell her that)

Mike in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    On another note, I am reminded of one incident where I went clothes shopping with my mother, many years ago. I was in the changing room trying on a pair of jeans when mom, who only talks in Volume Loud, stuck her head in the changing area and said, "You make sure it fits your gun." If there was anybody else in the changing area, they sure were quiet.
    Queue cricket noises...

*** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David III
    There was a shop nearby (now closed, unfortunately) where the salespeople would actually help with getting a correct fit when carrying. I bought a sportsjacket there one time and they put a second layer of lining in where my gun would be likely to wear out the original material. I do miss that place.
    Repps Big & Tall here in Baton Rouge did the same thing for me. They closed a few years ago. Great customer service and never had a problem fitting me while I was carrying. Even made suggestions on cut and length of coats and shirts to better conceal. I miss them everytime I shop.

As EX pointed out there are some things that mix like oil and water, clothes shopping at the mall and ccw; to name only two.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If I have to use a changing room, I always lay an article of clothing on top the door so it screams "somebody is in here so don't blindly stumble in."
    Hope it's an article from the store. I can picture losing my cloths like that.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by ibex
    Is it considered brandishing if someone bursts into your changing room (which is supposed to be a more or less private space) and sees your gun? Obviously, it is unwise to cause a riot and/or be exposed, but could there be legal consequences?
    No. Brandishing is to wave or display a weapon in a threatening manner. This term has been misused by the stupid ignorant liberal media.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Brandishing is to wave or display a weapon in a threatening manner.
    That's what I'd think, but AFAIK even printing is illegal under Texas law. Does the privacy of a changing room exempt you from this?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

I carry when I cloth shop so that I know the clothes will fit my CCW.

The times that I was actually fitted I wore so again the tailor could get the fit correct. Most of the people thought I was OSI (if they were military) or a Fed (this was when I was in the Air Force). I had "the look" I guess.

Not rich enough to get tailored clothes any longer. Now I just go in a grab 2 pair of jeans (same brand/type that I know will fit correctly with CCW) and go to the check out. Poor man's shopping lol.

Wayne

Lead Moderator
    I typically know my sizes, but the girlfriend has to "approve" of the fit of my clothes now. does become a pain to have the gun along , but I do bring it.
    As for leaving it in the vehicle, I use a small safe to secure the pistol, when I am not allowed to carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by ibex
    That's what I'd think, but AFAIK even printing is illegal under Texas law. Does the privacy of a changing room exempt you from this?
    The printing issue in TX is for all intense and purposes, up to interpretation and discretion of the officer and prosecuter, from what I have understood both by reading TX Penal Code, case law, and feedback from individual TX LEOs.

In Michigan, where I am, we can open carry, printing is not an issue because of the open carry.

I think in the example you gave of the changing room, if no one sees it print, then there is nothing to report to the authorities. I don't think there is any exemption per se in the law.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

If a gun prints in the woods, does it make a sound?
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    When I shop for my clothes, I take my pistol with me. However, I usually only try-on very few things. I know my sizes and only go to the changing room if it is a new brand and I'm not sure of the fit. If I was on a major shopping spree as you described, I'd have my wife carry my pistol in her purse and stay close. She has a permit also, so this would work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links