Situational Obstacles to CCW

This is a discussion on Situational Obstacles to CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, we have discussed the weather as being a hindrance to CCW at least in the type of gun carried or the method, with warmer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situational Obstacles to CCW

Question Situational Obstacles to CCW

Okay, we have discussed the weather as being a hindrance to CCW at least in the type of gun carried or the method, with warmer areas of the country having a slightly tougher time. There are individual issues like heat tolerance, etc as well.

But try this one, which I ran into TODAY. The wife wanted to take me clothes shopping at an outlet mall near the FL Keys. Trying on shirts, pants, swimming trunks in a sometimes unsecured changing room makes ccw very tough! Leave it in the car? Well, I drive a minivan, no trunk. I'd have to unholster and take the belt thru the holster in the lot, giving anybody nearby a good hint as to the hidden treasure a mere car window away.

ALL of this ran thru my mind before I even left the house. I left my gun at home and opted to carry only my Spyderco Delica knife. I had to pass thru some bad areas on my way there, too. Thank goodness it was a major highway most of the time.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

You could take it off at a location a small ways away from where you'll get out.. Or a number of holster makers have models that have some sort of snap loops that would be less noticible. Or perhaps a smaller gun for those times? Kel tech, Kahr etc.

Take it with you anyways. The clothes you try on need to fit with your carry weapon anyways right.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Hey Ex, You've got to look at the good side. Your wife took you shopping. Hope she paid. I believe I would have brought the CC piece along but not worn and left it in the van. Must be many places to hide it.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    imho this is where something the size of a p3at and pocket carry shines , when the wife wants to see what something looks like ( they all do you know ) just tuck it iwb " mexican " carry in the clothes your trying on , once back in your clothes slip it back in the pocket holster while in the dressing room
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Just carry it in the van, and leave it locked in while shopping? Otherwise, the knifes a good choice sans pistol. Hope you got the clothes and don't have to do it again.....

Just carry.

I take my G19 with me everywhere unless it's illegal or if I'm jogging. In the dressing room, make sure the door/curtain is closed and discretely and quietly put your gun down and cover it with an article of clothing you take off. Problem solved, and it's still concealed. I do not step away from the dressing room without my gun in my possession though. If you are standing there in your undies and need a different size, ask your wife to go get it for you.

No one should be barging into your dressing room unannounced, and if they do accidentally, that's why you should carry OC.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

VIP Member
    That's why I like to plan my own clothes shopping outings. When I need a new pair of shoes, especially boots, I try to avoid ankle carry. For jeans shopping, I wear my biggest gun so I can get the waist size correct for carrying IWB. Belly bands are handy, because they stay put when your pants are down.

I hate changing rooms, so that's why I like to stick to brands I know will work, since sizes vary from brand to brand (a size 4 in brand X is a size 6 in brand Y and so on). So with many articles of clothing, I can grab and go without going to a changing room. If I have to use a changing room, I always lay an article of clothing on top the door so it screams "somebody is in here so don't blindly stumble in."

----

On another note, I am reminded of one incident where I went clothes shopping with my mother, many years ago. I was in the changing room trying on a pair of jeans when mom, who only talks in Volume Loud, stuck her head in the changing area and said, "You make sure it fits your gun." If there was anybody else in the changing area, they sure were quiet.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have had this problem when trying on clothes. I try to only shop at places with a decent fitting room. I will usually carry it just takes me a little longer to try stuff on. Just need to make sure to keep the gun in my control and make sure it does not make a loud clunck when I put in down on the bench. I do make sure the gun is as far away from the door as possible, and never on a hook where someone could reach over and grab it thinking it was my pants with a wallet.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

There was a shop nearby (now closed, unfortunately) where the salespeople would actually help with getting a correct fit when carrying. I bought a sportsjacket there one time and they put a second layer of lining in where my gun would be likely to wear out the original material. I do miss that place.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I just carry a purse for my roscoe. It must be black, of course to match my Pearls and my Black Pajamas (its a Vietnam thing).

Jungle Work

Talking Wife = CFO

Quote Originally Posted by mkeBob
    Hey Ex, You've got to look at the good side. Your wife took you shopping. Hope she paid.
    Are you kidding? I turn over my entire paycheck to HER. I get to keep an allowance. About $80 a week. That's so I have to save to buy guns and ammo. If I ran the finances, we'd be the best armed poorest family in town. I know I'm fiscally irresponsible.

When the check comes in the restaurant, I tell 'em: Give it to the BOSS. We're coming up on our 18th anniversary so I must be doing something right. I learned this in the army. We'd be deployed someplace for six weeks and the bills would all go nuts. Well, I wasn't married THEN but I learned from my fellow officers that the right thing to do was let the wife run the household so we could go out and blow things up with peace of mind. So, when I got married, it seemed the right course of action. My new wife took one look at my gun collection and SHE knew too!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I can see the dilemna there. I hardly ever go out clothes shopping luckily since my off-duty wear pretty much consists of jeans/t-shirt. My wife usually picks those up for me if I need them so I don't have to do the whole "shopping" deal. The very few times I have had to do something like that, I take my gun anyways and have found ways to work around it. Give it to the wife, hang it from something in the stall, hold it in my hand. I try to find something to use if I can.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered
    Just carry.

I take my G19 with me everywhere unless it's illegal or if I'm jogging. In the dressing room, make sure the door/curtain is closed and discretely and quietly put your gun down and cover it with an article of clothing you take off. Problem solved, and it's still concealed. I do not step away from the dressing room without my gun in my possession though. If you are standing there in your undies and need a different size, ask your wife to go get it for you.
    This is exactly what I do whether with my wife or alone.
    There is always a sales person around happy to fetch some other item or size.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    Are you kidding? I turn over my entire paycheck to HER. If I ran the finances, we'd be the best armed poorest family in town. I know I'm fiscally irresponsible.

When the check comes in the restaurant, I tell 'em: Give it to the BOSS.
    Yeah Ex, I fork it over also and she gets me what I need and often enough also what I want.
    It took me 11 years after the big D but I think I found a good one this time around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links