Concealed Carry in the Office and Company Policy.

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry in the Office and Company Policy. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Arizona have a CCW and work for a large Bank/Financial institution I will call Acme Bank, in a large office building with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I live in Arizona have a CCW and work for a large Bank/Financial institution I will call Acme Bank, in a large office building with a few 100+ employees in a not so good neighborhood in S. Phoenix the entire company policy as it relates to Weapons is at the bottom:

This part is not 100% clear to me:
    “The possession or use of weapons, including but not limited to, knives and handguns, weather concealed or carried openly, is strictly prohibited on Acme Bank premises, including property owned or leased by Acme, unless otherwise expressly permitted by operative state or local law. (emphasis mine)

So would my State issued CCW licensed be considered “expressly permitted by operative state or local law.” I don't like to be unarmed I need to keep my Job and I don't feel comfortable calling HR and asking this question. Thoughts?

“Weapons

At Acme Bank, the safety of our employees, customers and visitors is of the highest priority. The possession or use of weapons, including but not limited to, knives and handguns, weather concealed or carried openly, is strictly prohibited on Acme premises, including property owned or leased by Acme, unless otherwise expressly permitted by operative state or local law. This prohibition applies to all employees, contractors, and vendors, with the exception of licensed, on-duty security personnel authorized by Acme to carry weapons on duty.

Violations of this policy are taken very seriously and may result in corrective action, up to and including immediate termination of employment.

An employee who is aware of anyone who is either in possession of a weapon on the firm's premises or is making intimidating references to a weapon must immediately inform their manager.”

re

others will probably dispute jay but my advise is contact the state attorney and your local agency to see if your company policy is consistent with arizona law
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

I'm not sure about Arizona, but in TX, it is strictly forbidden to carry a firearm in a bank, whether licensed or not. Based on the way the policy reads to me, it is against company policy. Maybe talking to a supervisor would help as well.

Yes I may have to consult an attorney. And in Arizona with CCW carry into a bank is fine I'm not sure about open carry into a bank. I should have said in OP that I do not work in a Bank its just an office.

It seems to me that they do not permit weapons on Acme Bank property unless some operative state/local law does not permit privately owned businesses from preventing carriage of firearms by authorized personnel (e.g. CCW permit holders). Like Florida I believe has such a law or something like that?

(a) No public or private employer may prohibit any customer, employee, or invitee from possessing
    any legally owned firearm when such firearm is lawfully possessed and locked inside or locked to a
    private motor vehicle in a parking lot and when the customer, employee, or invitee is lawfully in such
    area.
    Is yours an interstate banking operation?

Believe me... I feel your pain working in a high-risk neighborhood. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...king-hood.html

Your situation is very difficult. I know why you don't feel comfortable asking HR about it, because if they tell you what you don't want to hear you have been duly informed and are therefore screwed if you are ever discovered.

You might read through my thread and see if anyone's advice or thoughts is valuable to you.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Since they state concealed in their description, I don't think your State issued CCW will help you. I think they are looking at active duty LEO's who by State Law can carry just about anywhere other than in a prison.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Your situation is very difficult. I know why you don't feel comfortable asking HR about it, because if they tell you what you don't want to hear you have been duly informed and are therefore screwed if you are ever discovered.
    You read my mind and I don't want someone to over react/misunderstand me and have the SWAT team on me. I'm 1/2 way joking but in this world...

The way I read it, you're not allowed to carry open or concealed UNLESS you have a permit....the operative phrase in your bolded section.

Does AZ prohibit carry in banks? If no--then carry...and keep it deep.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by rangertech View Post
    I'm not sure about Arizona, but in TX, it is strictly forbidden to carry a firearm in a bank, whether licensed or not.
    I did not know that. Those few years when I was "just a" concealed carry licensed person, I violated state law?
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The way I read it, you're not allowed to carry open or concealed UNLESS you have a permit....the operative phrase in your bolded section.

Does AZ prohibit carry in banks? If no--then carry...and keep it deep.
    This is exactly how I read it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Originally Posted by rangertech
    I'm not sure about Arizona, but in TX, it is strictly forbidden to carry a firearm in a bank, whether licensed or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by lwdaniel View Post
    I did not know that. Those few years when I was "just a" concealed carry licensed person, I violated state law?
    No, you did not violate Texas law unless a qualified 30.06 notice was posted. The reason that you did not know that is because he has mis-stated Texas law. As to Arizona law - I have not researched it, do not know.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I'm interpreting it the same way Bandolero did. On the premises (inside the building) is prohibited.

"Property owned or leased" includes the area around the building, such as a parking lot. In this case, if there is a state law, such as in Florida, that allows owners to lock their weapons in their personal vehicle, then Acme has to abide by that law.

But inside the building in not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by rangertech View Post
    I'm not sure about Arizona, but in TX, it is strictly forbidden to carry a firearm in a bank, whether licensed or not. Based on the way the policy reads to me, it is against company policy. Maybe talking to a supervisor would help as well.
    Ummm, I thought it was legal to carry in a bank in TX, but prohibited if the proper 30.06 sign was posted. Could someone clarify this for me?

As for the OP, the way I read it, you were legal with your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I'm interpreting it the same way Bandolero did. On the premises (inside the building) is prohibited.

"Property owned or leased" includes the area around the building, such as a parking lot. In this case, if there is a state law, such as in Florida, that allows owners to lock their weapons in their personal vehicle, then Acme has to abide by that law.

But inside the building in not allowed.
    Perhaps in Arizona, but not in Texas [unless the 30.06 notice is posted]. Although the Texas statute mentions certain government places, schools, and the like, banks are not on the prohibited places list.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links