How to help push the ex-wife into getting her CFP

This is a discussion on How to help push the ex-wife into getting her CFP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still good friends with my ex-wife and tonight when I dropped my daughter off I had my NRA hat on which she took notice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to help push the ex-wife into getting her CFP

Question How to help push the ex-wife into getting her CFP

I'm still good friends with my ex-wife and tonight when I dropped my daughter off I had my NRA hat on which she took notice of. She knew I had taken the class and I showed her my NRA card which prompted her to ask me if I ever completed it. I pulled up my shirt to expose my Glock 27 to her. She had no clue till tonight I carried. Her first response was funny. She said, you are not mad at me are you. We both laughed and she knows I'm not.

Well she then told me her mother was a member of the NRA at one time, which I never knew and had won the Golden Bull's-eye Award. Sadly her mother recently passed away so I cannot ask her about it but the ex-wife also informed me she had meet Mary's father at the event. Thought that was kind of cool because this was stuff I never knew.

Well she said she would like to get her own CFP and this made me happy. She is ex-military so she does know how to handle a firearm but I don't know how to encourage her to take the class. I don't want to nag her about it but I also know her well enough she will have to be pushed a tad to get enrolled in the class.

So any advice you folks can offer would be great. Would be nice knowing she is armed and able to protect herself as well as our daughter.

2. Remove Ads

Well, she does have a responsibility to be able to protect your daughter when she's with her...why not buy her a class and give her the class certificate as a gift to protect the daughter...let the instructor do the rest.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Soon as she said she would like to get her own CFP, you should have offered up right there..."I can give you the name and number of the training course. Would you like that?"

Then the ball is in her court. Yes or No
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Well, she does have a responsibility to be able to protect your daughter when she's with her...why not buy her a class and give her the class certificate as a gift to protect the daughter...let the instructor do the rest.
    Great Idea.

VIP Member
    I had to laugh at the title... pushing women to do anything is always a bad idea!

Honestly, don't beat the thing to death but occasionally share with her your experiences regarding carrying. It's something that already has her interest so just provide positive info from time to time.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I had to laugh at the title... pushing women to do anything is always a bad idea!

Honestly, don't beat the thing to death but occasionally share with her your experiences regarding carrying. It's something that already has her interest so just provide positive info from time to time.
    LOL! And an ex-wife at that! We each take care of our own in one way or another..........thing is responsibility for oneself begins somewhere, and you can only light the wick of the candle. You're not responsible for the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    LOL! And an ex-wife at that! We each take care of our own in one way or another..........thing is responsibility for oneself begins somewhere, and you can only light the wick of the candle. You're not responsible for the wind.
    I think Ram Rod is Oma Desala

I'm fairly certain I don't want my ex-wife armed, unless of course she moves to the opposite side of the country!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    +1 That what happened to me. My dad paid for the class and told me when to show up.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

I don't think you can convince someone to get it. I think it has to be their decision.

Offer to pay for it and offer to take it with her if she would like. You know her better than any of us do, but I would avoid 'pushing" her.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I don't want to nag her about it but I also know her well enough she will have to be pushed a tad to get enrolled in the class.

So any advice you folks can offer would be great. Would be nice knowing she is armed and able to protect herself as well as our daughter.
    You answered your own question. Approach it just like that - it's for y'all's safety. Offer to go with her. Offer to pay for the class. Take her to the range to practice. Make it FUN. Shoot soda cans or something. Get the "zombie" targets rather than the B-27 outline. "Have you thought about which class you're going to take?" is much better than "Why haven't you signed up the the class yet?" "When you start carrying, you'll feel much safer. "Treat it as a done deal, awaiting only her action on it.

EBC
    I payed for My Wife's and Step-father class and sat through the class with them. That worked well for me. and it only took 9 months to plan.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

Arming my ex wife...hum...put that on my list of things NOT to do!!! EVER!!!!!!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Arming an ex wife! Not a good idea! My ex stole one of my pistols and one night I was staring down the muzzle of it and it was loaded!
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links