Arizona new law for real ?

This is a discussion on Arizona new law for real ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just told that Arizona passed a law that a resident doesn't have to get a permit to carry concealed , is this true ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arizona new law for real ?

Arizona new law for real ?

I was just told that Arizona passed a law that a resident doesn't have to get a permit to carry concealed , is this true ?

2. Remove Ads

Yep, it's correct. Puts us on a par with Vermont and Alaska. The actual date of effectivity is 90 days after the legislature finishes the current silly season.

Actually, if you are a legal US citizen - not just an AZ resident - you won't need a permit to carry concealed.

The existing permit program remains in existence, as it allows a gun purchaser to bypass the instant check system, and of course an AZ permit is recognized in something like three dozen other states if you travel there.

There are some nuances; you can't carry concealed in a vehicle or go into a place serving booze without a permit, for example. But overall, it removes a statutory requirement which only the law-abiding follow.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It is true. The law takes effect July 29th! Constitutional carry, just like Vermont and Alaska.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

GM
    I wish NM had learned something from AZ!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Yep, it's correct. Puts us on a par with Vermont and Alaska.
    I don't like Vermont's model. It's great for people to visit them, but their residents can't carry many other places because they don't issue licenses. I like that about Alaska, it's optional.

Florida and Texas (and maybe a few other states) have the second best model. Take a class, get a license, carry. The required class eases my liberal friend's wishes (he's special though, he's not an anti, just questions why people carry) (Actually, I question why people carry, too. I've met several people who carry because "WOW GUNS ARE COOL". Fortunately I know more than others that have valid reasons.)
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    Fortunately I know more than others that have valid reasons.)

bosco

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I don't like Vermont's model. It's great for people to visit them, but their residents can't carry many other places because they don't issue licenses. I like that about Alaska, it's optional.

Florida and Texas (and maybe a few other states) have the second best model. Take a class, get a license, carry. The required class eases my liberal friend's wishes (he's special though, he's not an anti, just questions why people carry) (Actually, I question why people carry, too. I've met several people who carry because "WOW GUNS ARE COOL". Fortunately I know more than others that have valid reasons.)
    Arizona will still issue permits because of reciprocity. A permit is also required to carry in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Florida and Texas (and maybe a few other states) have the second best model.
    I disagree. I'm required to be licensed, in violation of my state's constitution, but at least I'm not forced to take some stupid class in order to be licensed.

Florida's laws are very lax in comparison to many other states. I have no issue with the permitting process, anything worth having ought to have a bit of a barrier to entry....just my opinion.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Excellent!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for your responses . I live in Florida and I teach the classes but wasn't sure if the Arizona thing was true or a student with misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I disagree. I'm required to be licensed, in violation of my state's constitution, but at least I'm not forced to take some stupid class in order to be licensed.
    I strongly shared the same opinion about being required to take a class, however I quickly realized the reasoning behind it.
    The class I took stressed gun safety, the laws of concealed carrying, and gave several examples of real stories that have taken place. There were several people in my class that didn't know the first thing about handguns, but were very interested in learning, as well as exercising their right to protect themselves.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Although we can always argue about the license issue, I think that Florida has one of the best models. The main limitation is that OCing is forbidden in FL; the positive things are: the castle doctrine, it is a “shall issue” state, the license is valid 7 years and the training had no time limit, right now 34 states honors Florida’s resident permit, the permit covers other weapons besides firearms, no printing law, although illegal to carry in bars it is legal to carry in restaurants that sell alcohol if you are not sitting in the bar section (), signs do not have weight in FL, you can carry in many different places

---- excerpt from Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, FDACS ----

Possession Restrictions
    The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    any courtroom*
    any polling place
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    any school administration building
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    any elementary or secondary school facility
    any area technical center
    any college or university facility*
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    ---- end excerpt ----

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Arizona will still issue permits because of reciprocity. A permit is also required to carry in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.
    Now, that was good news!!!

As to the ??? of "training"

I know my position may raise some "Hackles" Esp. from my "fellow" NRA Instructors. I have "mixed feelings on this.

1. I am a STRONG SUPPORTER of OUR 2nd Amendment RIGHTS.

2. I have been a Pistol Instructor for over 40 years.( mil, LEO Civilian ) as well as uncounted Hours on the Line as a RO ( see above) BTW, no classes are req'd in our state for CC License.
    During the the above I have "witnessed" FAR too MANY ( esp. civilian carriers) OMG is this person actually going to be on the street with a GUN ??
    a. NO knowledge of their gun ( operation including "loading & unloading.)
    b. ABSOLUTELY NO idea of Safe gun handling.
    c. REALLY "scary" Accessing gun in "rig"
    d. Not to mention the fact that they can not hit the "broadside of a barn"

3. Therefore my ""feelings" are that some form of "basic training"should be required to CC. If for no other reason the SAFETY of the Carrier & those around him/her.

In a "Perfect World" all "potential" CCers would realize their "responsibilities" & the seriousness of CCing, & Voluntarily get "Training", BUT ALAS, it is NOT.
    ( even getting individuals to take a FREE ( with NO records kept as to names ) class is HARD as one of our PD's is finding out )

As a side note - AZ ( as I understand it does have another type of CC license that does require some training (Hon. mil. discharge, Hunter Ed. or other reconized basic training) it is an "Enhanced" License.

Puffer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links