Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry? - Page 10

Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

This is a discussion on Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Deanimator I NEVER drink when I carry. Having to disarm to eat at a nice restaurant and NOT drink is idiotic. It ...

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • No carry at all

6 1.52%
  • You can carry, just no drinking.

225 56.82%
  • You can carry, and a drink or two is ok.

94 23.74%
  • You can carry and drink up to the legal limit of .08 BAC

48 12.12%
  • Drink as much as you want, it's your choice.

20 5.05%
  • Don't care / No opinion

3 0.76%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I NEVER drink when I carry.

Having to disarm to eat at a nice restaurant and NOT drink is idiotic. It also exposes me to ignorant or malicious LEOs who claim (despite the fact that Ohio is an open carry state) that someone seeing my firearm is "inducing panic".
    Someone can call the police but you cannot be charged for inducing panic in Ohio by simply having a firearm. A good lawyer would get you out of such charge.

Lawriter - ORC - 2917.31 Inducing panic.

Not that it carries any legal weight, but I've attached a memo from the Hamilton County prosecuting attorney concerning open carry and "Inducing A Panic".
    Attached Files
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

I guess my bottom line to all of this and the point that Jcabin has been trying to make in his speeches is that, I do not want to be restricted by a law. I SHOULD be able to carry anywhere I want to. I SHOULD be able to drink as much as I want to and be counted on for being a responsible adult if I can't handle my alcohol. Everyone of us, who has been of drinking age for awhile and drinks, KNOWS how much we can safely drink. I don't need the state to tell me what I can do. If I harm someone, I pay the consequences.

Founding fathers may have or may not have drank while handling firearms. Doesn't matter. The vision of the world they had for us is that we do as we please as long as we aren't hurting other folks. I live by that.

And for the additional record, I have been on record here and my blog as being a proponent of open carry and concealed carry both (not at the same time :) ).
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Use good judgement.

No need for the government making the call for us. They do enough of that already.

Note; I can carry in bars in this State.

VIP Member
    No Jcabin your life is no less valuable because you have consumed alcohol, most all human life is valuable sober or wasted.
    Would you be able to defend yourself with the full amount of concentration and mindset, and accuracy needed if you have been consuming alcohol dont think so. If you used your firearm in a SD situation after consuming alcohol could that be used against you at some point absolutely.
    Hell man the bar could be held liable for your actions if you use your weapon on their premises and injure someone because they served you alcohol.
    I will say I am glad to see you did a whole post and the words "Anti gun" were not used.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I think a person is ultimately responsible for their actions. Preventing a person from having a drink if he has his gun isn't going to help anything if they can't control themselves otherwise. In fact, the whole idea of forbidding a person to have a gun on their belt when a drink is in their hand is rather nanny-state-ish to me. In spite of some strong opinions on the matter, what does such prohibitions ultimately achieve? Just because some individuals have a problem with alcohol, and life in general, doesn't mean the rest of us do. I guess we should lock our car keys in the gun safe with the 1911s when we pour a bourbon at home too, just to be "safe?"

Although I also rarely to never drink except for when at home, it's yet another reason I'm glad I live where I live. It's one thing for the out-of-touch politicians to demonstrate their mistrust of the people through and by the laws they enact. It's another thing altogether for us to do it to each other IMO.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    I guess my bottom line to all of this and the point that Jcabin has been trying to make in his speeches is that, I do not want to be restricted by a law. I SHOULD be able to carry anywhere I want to. I SHOULD be able to drink as much as I want to and be counted on for being a responsible adult if I can't handle my alcohol.
    I do not drink - or maybe one or two beers a year.

I fail to comprehend how an intoxicated person's life is less valuable. Here in Minnesota you can't legally even take a painkiller (Percocet) and carry.

Just got back from dinner with my wife in an upscale restaurant and had to leave my Glock in the truck while we had our meal. Tennessee restaurant carry in places that serve alcohol has been ruled unconstitutional. So carry in any place that serves alcohol is illegal until another court rules or the law is passed again by the Legislature.

How is carrying a firearm unconstitutional, what a pinko commie judge! geeze louise.

I was not very comfortable leaving it there as I don't have a "car safe" yet to lock it up in (It is on order, a truck console safe). So, while in the restaurant the handgun was not in my "control at all times".

I carried when we went out as we were going to the mall as well and there's been many crime "incidents" there. The mall is in the best neighborhood with all the upscale stores in it, not some mall in a dangerous part of town either.

So here we are walking through a semi-darkened parking lot with my Glock 50+ feet away in my truck. Had we been attacked I would have been almost powerless to defend my wife even carrying my Kubotan and Benchmade "auto" knife.

It was a real PITA.
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

My opinion is booze and guns never mix, in any quanity!

VIP Member
    Just speaking for myself... I NEVER drink ANY alcohol when I'm carrying.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I don't think I have ever come on a thread here and seen as many people talking past each other as I have on this one!

The decision as to drink any at all while carrying should be personal like Thumper or myself (I am on the other side Thumper), not enforced by Law (in the case of none)!

I am in the one or two with the full meal not in a Bar camp. That to me is easy as I do not go to bars period!

I think that decision should be made on a personal level.
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

VIP Member
    The keys words are being responsible. No we dont need any further laws, rules, regulations or procedures to guide us in this matter.
    IMO it is not responsible to carry into a bar and drink til you get buzzed, wasted, blitzed or whatever term you want to use, but that is your right and as long as you are not violating any laws drink on.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    No Jcabin your life is no less valuable because you have consumed alcohol, most all human life is valuable sober or wasted.
    Finally, someone answered the question. While I won't deny that when consuming alcohol, motor skills and various other functions become temporarily degraded. I will say that if I have to defend my life, I'm not going to be worried about the after effects. A good shoot is a good shoot, period. If you were drunk, that doesn't affect the fact that you were about to be victimized, in such a way that you felt the need to use lethal force. Again, if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot.

Would you be able to defend yourself with the full amount of concentration and mindset, and accuracy needed if you have been consuming alcohol dont think so.
    This is the same arguement anti's use about people carrying in general. They just won't be able to defend themselves properly, sober, and will end up killing innocent people. Yet how often does this happen? Does it even happen at all? And with what consistancy?

That being said, you are the only judge of your own capabilities, intoxicated or sober. Though I will admit, I don't go and get plastered while drinking, I still consume alcohol. Out of knowing my own limitations, situational awareness, and not wanting to be drunk to the point of being helpless, I don't allow myself to become drunk. If I did have to act in self defense, with my firearm, then I will do what I must to ensure the survival of myself and others.

Again, if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot. If one becomes so intoxicated that they cannot clearly understand the fine line between when it is okay and not okay to use lethal force, and if they act in a way that is not justifiable, then they will suffer the consequences through our justice system. That is liberty. You need to recognize others rights to do as they want, so long as it is lawful, and they do not infringe on anothers rights.

If you used your firearm in a SD situation after consuming alcohol could that be used against you at some point absolutely.
    Hell man the bar could be held liable for your actions if you use your weapon on their premises and injure someone because they served you alcohol.
    I will say I am glad to see you did a whole post and the words "Anti gun" were not used.
    I would rather be sued than dead. If it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot. If the bar could be held liable, then the bar should not allow criminals, or anyone with weapons inside the bar, and should have armed guards at every entrance. They should send everyone through metal detectors and pat them down. Will they be held liable if a criminal walks in and blows me away where I stand, and everyone else standing around me? Probably not. If I had disarmed, I would have no chance. The bar takes no measures to defend me, so I defend myself. It's pretty simple.

I hope you don't agree that anyone should be held liable for defend themselves, if it was justified.

I stand on the PA law.( The state that doesn't treat us like children that need to be saved from ourselves) I can carry CC into any bar/restaurant I want to regardless of any signs to the contrary. If I want to have a beer or two that's my option. I do, however, believe it is not a good idea to drink too much. It's always good to remain alert.
    'Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you.'

i wouldn't mind if bars restaurants banned firearms, as long as they strictly enforce it complete with security and metal detectors. I want an even playing field against the BG, because they don't play by the rules.

At the same time, some drunk bast**d can drink all he wants even if he's armed, but once he starts acting stupid and pulls out his weapon he's going down...

Restaurant Carry - Yes
    Bar Carry - Yes
    Drink the Booze - NO

How can you be in Condition Yellow if you're in any way degraded in mental function. It defeats the whole purpose of carrying if you're going to impair - no matter how minimally - your ability to gather data about your surroundings and evaluate possible threats and extrapolate to future possibilities. If you want to drink, leave the gun in the lock box in the car or at home.

If I'm the designated driver having wings and coke, then I want the option of carrying into the bar.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Sponsored Links