Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

This is a discussion on Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by razor02097 Restaurants.... Yes Bars... Yes Drink while carry... No OMO I 3rd, 4th, or 5th . I was taught as a kid ...

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • No carry at all

6 1.52%
  • You can carry, just no drinking.

225 56.82%
  • You can carry, and a drink or two is ok.

94 23.74%
  • You can carry and drink up to the legal limit of .08 BAC

48 12.12%
  • Drink as much as you want, it's your choice.

20 5.05%
  • Don't care / No opinion

3 0.76%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Restaurants.... Yes
    Bars... Yes
    Drink while carry... No

OMO
    I 3rd, 4th, or 5th . I was taught as a kid that alcohol and guns don't mix, so don't believe in drinking while carrying. I do, however. believe you should be able to carry into a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol if you are not drinking--something you can not presently do in Ohio. I hope the proposed legislative changes in the Ohio house and senate will soon rectify that situation.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I don't drink, so bars are not an issue. If I carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol, I don't drink so it's not an issue there either.

I have seen what drinking can do to your thinking process both in a motor vehicle and in making poor decisions for your well being during my time as an LEO.
    I'll bet you have...and that has to be the neatest avatar on this forum.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    If you can drive with a BAC up to 0.08%, then you should be able to carry a firearm.

Of course, I don't think either are good ideas. But to say you can control one "Deadly weapon" with a drink or two, but not another, is a double standard to me.

Being a college student and frequenting bars in college towns, as well as living in a city of high crime rate, usually means that as soon as you walk through the door into a bar you are searched for weapons / firearms via metal detectors and being patted down.

Knowing this I usually leave my "tools" at home when I know I'm going out to a bar, so generally this issue doesn't come up.

I have gone to restaurants and carried, although I usually don't drink because of the high prices, "I'll have a water".

This topic does pose an interesting question that I'm sure is debated, I go out to eat, have a beer and have my CC on my, someone attacks me on my way out to the car with a weapon, say for a car jacking. I feel like some people on this board would have me unarmed because I knew I was going to drink, but I feel that BGs in general don't care if you've had a beer or not. I feel as though being wasted and having a firearm is a situation easily avoided, but people in general are responsible enough to know if their judgment is impaired under the influence of a drink or two, and if they feel it is not then they should be able to carry and drink and go about their business. IMO

Just my .02, I voted for "a drink or two"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    If you can drive with a BAC up to 0.08%, then you should be able to carry a firearm.

Of course, I don't think either are good ideas. But to say you can control one "Deadly weapon" with a drink or two, but not another, is a double standard to me.
    I hate to say but I disagree.

In my all honest opinion I'm not for drinking then driving either. However I believe comparing automobiles and guns are comparing apples and oranges.

First it isn't illegal to drive a car to and from a bar and restaurant.
    Second you don't have a right to drive.
    Third you can always call a taxi if you get wasted.

You know how it goes... "one more won't hurt".... "ah what the hey...one more".... Once you realized you had to much you can decide not to drive home but what the heck are you going to do with the gun when you had one too much? Another thing is also the fact that some people are more tolerant to alcohol then others. Setting a standard like 1 or 2 drinks in an hour or something like that may not even buzz one guy but get another guy lit. You just never know.

Ah what could one beer hurt right? Maybe nothing... maybe a lot...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Restaurants.... Yes
    Bars... Yes
    Drink while carry... No
    Second!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member

Lightbulb

Get the State out of the "yes, but not..." business.

Treat it the same as DUI -- which is a far bigger problem.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Get the State out of the "yes, but not..." business.

Treat it the same as DUI -- which is a far bigger problem.
    wait....

Quote Originally Posted by thread title
    Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?
    there is nothing about the state in there... I took this thread to be about personal opinions.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Restaurants yes.
    Bars NO.
    Booze and guns are a bad combination.
    That being your response are you going to limit everyone to only eating at McDonalds, BoogerKing, etc...? Most normal restaurants I've ever been in sell "booze" as well as and with food... Just sayin' You've opened the door, now at what point does it stop?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Restaurant/Bars...Yes

Drinking in... Not for me.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I hate to say but I disagree.

In my all honest opinion I'm not for drinking then driving either. However I believe comparing automobiles and guns are comparing apples and oranges.

First it isn't illegal to drive a car to and from a bar and restaurant.
    Second you don't have a right to drive.
    Third you can always call a taxi if you get wasted.

You know how it goes... "one more won't hurt".... "ah what the hey...one more".... Once you realized you had to much you can decide not to drive home but what the heck are you going to do with the gun when you had one too much? Another thing is also the fact that some people are more tolerant to alcohol then others. Setting a standard like 1 or 2 drinks in an hour or something like that may not even buzz one guy but get another guy lit. You just never know.

Ah what could one beer hurt right? Maybe nothing... maybe a lot...
    First, It isn't illegal to carry a firearm to and from a restaurant or bar in my state(yours may vary).
    Second, I do have a right to drive my own paid for vehicle contrary to what any other blithering idiot in the government says.
    Third, if you have the wherewithall to decide not to drive, you certainly have the wherewithall to decide not to twirl around your firearm like a drunken fool.

I'm all for frying the dopey buggers that go and get lit up and then kill someone via ANY METHOD.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I voted "Drink as much as you want, it's your choice." but I suppose I should explain lest everyone think I'm some drunken fool. I rarely drink and when I do it's almost exclusively at home. I have had occasion to have a beer or two with dinner while out though.

My reasons are thus and not necessarily limited to this either, just what I'm thinking at this moment:
    I don't see any problem with someone having a drink or two while carrying, anywhere; restaurant, bar or otherwise. Everyone is going to have their own limit that is going to be determined by a myriad of factors such as age, weight, physical build/makeup, medical history etc... I don't like the idea of folks going and getting tanked while carrying, driving, or anything else that has the potential for causing me and mine harm. And yes, my family and friends have been touched by those under the influence...more than once.

However, I am fervently against any and all encroachments by either the state or the feds limiting such. I firmly believe it's an individual responsibility issue. If something happens ....fine. Fry the dopey bugger that caused the problems after convicted in a court of law for the harm or murder caused. Otherwise, to limit the actions of other men prior to any initiation of force or damage caused just smacks of know-it-all/elitism and tyranny.

-The Mist (2007)

Carry in a restaurant to eat...going to have a drink with your meal, leave it locked in the car.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    wait....

there is nothing about the state in there... I took this thread to be about personal opinions.
    OP said "be allowed"!

If not the state, who?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I voted for "...drink or two is OK". Really for me this is A beer (one)...and a 3.2% UT beer at that....not a rum n coke, not a shot of something. One beer....maybe a small glass of wine. I go out to dinner with my wife an friends in nice restaurants frequently and enjoy a well paired wine or beer with my meal. When celebrating or planning on a wine tasting...I leave it at home, in the safe.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links