Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

This is a discussion on Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bar and restaraunt are ok with me, just not while drinking alcohol. If I'm going into a bar, I'll be carrying but I'll also be ...

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • No carry at all

6 1.52%
  • You can carry, just no drinking.

225 56.82%
  • You can carry, and a drink or two is ok.

94 23.74%
  • You can carry and drink up to the legal limit of .08 BAC

48 12.12%
  • Drink as much as you want, it's your choice.

20 5.05%
  • Don't care / No opinion

3 0.76%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand on restaurant/bar carry?

Bar and restaraunt are ok with me, just not while drinking alcohol. If I'm going into a bar, I'll be carrying but I'll also be the DD and drinking soda or water all night. This is also in line with State law here.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Another thing is also the fact that some people are more tolerant to alcohol then others. Setting a standard like 1 or 2 drinks in an hour or something like that may not even buzz one guy but get another guy lit. You just never know.

Ah what could one beer hurt right? Maybe nothing... maybe a lot...
    First off, I'm not sure why "1 or 2 drinks" is an option. There's no way to enforce that. And that's why I voted for the BAC option. I know alcohol affects me a lot more than other people. That's why I have my limits that I will never ever break. (1 drink if I'm driving, 2 if I'm not.)

Anyways, back to my point. I don't see a huge difference between drinking and driving, and drinking and carrying. If you're under .08%, then you're not legally intoxicated. We trust people to stay below the legal limit when they drive, why can't we trust them to do the same thing when they carry?

Like I said before, I don't believe in carrying and drinking, but I think that's a personal choice as long as they stay below a legal limit. I don't like the government babysitting every decision I make. I don't feel 1 beer with dinner is going to make someone carrying turn into a crazed gunman.

Regardless of how I feel, I think we have so many more important issues to address before we tackle drinking and carrying.

I NEVER drink when I carry.

Having to disarm to eat at a nice restaurant and NOT drink is idiotic. It also exposes me to ignorant or malicious LEOs who claim (despite the fact that Ohio is an open carry state) that someone seeing my firearm is "inducing panic".

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    DaveH the OP asked the individual. Should it be allowed? This doesn't automatically entail law and government. This also means the owner of the bar, restaurant or whatever have power to make you leave not just the state.

packinnova it is illegal in ohio and in many states it is still illegal to carry in a bar.

BlueNinjaGo you are right, 1 beer may not hurt. 2 may not hurt. When would it stop?

It is really difficult to think how to justify drinking and carrying. With all the DUI and DWI problem America has do you honestly think that CUI or CWI wouldn't happen? I don't think it is necessarily people intent on getting drunk...I think the majority is the people that have a few drinks and think they are still good to drive. Possibly the same people that think they would be ok to carry when they are impaired.

People keep saying it should be up to the individual. I say yeah that's right. I believe no drinks while carrying. There are also people comparing drinking and carrying with drinking and driving. Like I said I don't think that is an accurate comparison. Some states may have a different definition of legally intoxicated. Should this be just another thing the state regulates?

I personally refuse to drink and drive. No matter if it is one beer or 10. I will never chance it. I already know work will fire me on the spot if I had a DUI. I would be ruined financially and be unemployed. I would think it simple as you carry you don't drink. There would be no doubts then.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Both, can carry no drinking.

Carrying in a bar/restaurant should be a yes. Honestly, most places I've lived, the bars are in the part of town I most want to carry in.
    I've got mixed opinions about the government setting a limit, but I personally feel you shouldn't be drinking and carrying; too much liability if something happens. But then again, I also don't drive with any alcohol in my system. Fortunately, my wife has a concealed carry permit also, so when I hand her the keys, I can hand her the pistol at the same time so to speak :D.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    I know I will get flamed for this one. I voted no carry at all. Restaurant that serves alcohol ok dont sit at the bar and dont drink, I did not see a seperate restaurant/bar option in the choices.
    Carrying a weapon into a bar in my opinion is asking for trouble. Alcohol and firearms dont mix period. It would not be the CCW holder I would be worried about it would be the drunk jackass that may see my firearm or just feel like getting into a fight and with my luck he would pick me.
    No matter what your actions would be in the bar IF YOU HAD TO USE YOUR WEAPON you could/would be hung out to dry for introducing a firearm into the situation even though there may be a dozen illegal firearms already in there.

Texas makes it easy...

PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25,28,32,69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    BlueNinjaGo you are right, 1 beer may not hurt. 2 may not hurt. When would it stop?
    Before you hit .08?
    It is really difficult to think how to justify drinking and carrying. With all the DUI and DWI problem America has do you honestly think that CUI or CWI wouldn't happen?
    I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure it's already happening.
    I don't think it is necessarily people intent on getting drunk...I think the majority is the people that have a few drinks and think they are still good to drive. Possibly the same people that think they would be ok to carry when they are impaired.
    Different batch of apples. I think those who carry are generally a more responsible bunch.
    People keep saying it should be up to the individual. I say yeah that's right. I believe no drinks while carrying.
    No one is going to force you to drink though.
    There are also people comparing drinking and carrying with drinking and driving. Like I said I don't think that is an accurate comparison. Some states may have a different definition of legally intoxicated. Should this be just another thing the state regulates?
    States already regulate if you can drink and carry, and what the limit is.

Anyways, I shared my opinion. I don't want to come across as being argumentative or anything. I completely understand your reasoning, and I agree with most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I know I will get flamed for this one. I voted no carry at all. Restaurant that serves alcohol ok dont sit at the bar and dont drink, I did not see a seperate restaurant/bar option in the choices.
    Carrying a weapon into a bar in my opinion is asking for trouble. Alcohol and firearms dont mix period. It would not be the CCW holder I would be worried about it would be the drunk jackass that may see my firearm or just feel like getting into a fight and with my luck he would pick me.
    No matter what your actions would be in the bar IF YOU HAD TO USE YOUR WEAPON you could/would be hung out to dry for introducing a firearm into the situation even though there may be a dozen illegal firearms already in there.

I agree about introducing a gun in the bar the DA would make sure your goose is cooked.
    The problem usually isn't IN the bar it is LEAVING the bar. The BG isn't going to be in the bar he is going to wait until you leave with your honey on your arm. Since we humans haven't worked out the teleporting thing we would be vulnerable from car to bar and from bar to car. Not everyone goes to the bar/club to drink.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Before you hit .08?
    So this would be a state regulated thing...

I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure it's already happening.
    Yes on the wrong side of the law. Drinking and driving is against the law. Just cause people are doing it doesn't make it right.

Different batch of apples. I think those who carry are generally a more responsible bunch.
    generally but it only takes a few bad apples to ruin everything. If people decide to drink and carry it would likely have people whining about it suddenly we have the passing gun control laws, then we are back where we started... maybe worse off.

No one is going to force you to drink though.
    darn right

States already regulate if you can drink and carry, and what the limit is.
    some do, but there is a way to skip that...don't drink

Anyways, I shared my opinion. I don't want to come across as being argumentative or anything. I completely understand your reasoning, and I agree with most of them.
    I don't want to argue either I just have a hard time justifying a reason to drink and carry. I would think if you have alcohol in the system the DA would use that fact against you in a justified and legal self defense situation. Where a self defense trial could suddenly turn into a huge court battle and possibly trial for murder.

Why chance it?

VIP Member
    Wish there was a simple answer. Arkansas also says if the main business is alcohol no carry period. I guess going from bar to car is where good knife techniques or some other option may have to be used.

If I want to have a glass of wine or a scotch, I believe that's ok. I personally will not drink more than one, on the very rare occasion I have a drink outside of the home, and I am also not a mean drunk. It's easy enough for me to make mistakes sober. The only thing getting drunk while carrying would do for me is give me more room for error, and I train hard and often.

I guess I'm in the one or two drink camp, but I know from experience that even that can affect my thinking, and not for the better. Some bars can be a little rowdy as we know and the chance of a fight is much greater. I can see why it's a concern. I have a few friends that have gotten DUI's, one is a doctor that caused a serious accident, that are otherwise very respectable people.

I don't like restrictions on carry and the less the better. Whether we're restricted or not, we need to use our best judgement. moderation is always best!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Restaurants.... Yes
    Bars... Yes
    Drink while carry... No

OMO
    Are you the designated defender in the bar?
    I agree with all you said, btw
    One other thing, when at home if you've had some drinks/beers whatever, and somebody breaks in...surely, you can't have that held against you in court if you have to use your weapon?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I'd like to be able to carry in a restaurant... even in a bar... possibly having one drink or even two... beyond that, I'm not pressing my personal limits.

Designated drivers aren't allowed to defend themselves? Not fair.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links